Catbug has been sick for 3 weeks. Need help.

paasaa

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0 to 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) usually 7.8 t0 8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Test Kit (drops)
      • * Water temperature? Room temp, no heater.
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 26 gallons, almost 2 years.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? I use 2 Aqueon 30 gallon filters at the same time.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 50%.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? One Week ago.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish. Catbug (biggest fish. ~2 to 3") and 2 lionchus that are ~1.5" body. There is also a snail.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime & sea salt
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed them saki-hikari fancy fish food (Purple bag, sinking pellets)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Melafix, following instructions to a T.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
    When I noticed she was acting weird 3 weeks ago, I did a big water change (~80%) on top of my usual routine. I then started treating with Melafix. I salted the water, as I usually do.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? At first she was pine coning and looked pretty swollen, she started to hang out in the corner. I pulled up the plants, and thought she might be egg bound (giving her swim bladder disease or something). Later, she started developing black on her scales and now it is moving to her Wen. When I saw the black, we started treating with Melafix and I fasted them for 3 days. The black is spreading and she started turning orange as well. She remains swollen. She gets better then worse then better then worse again.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She is sitting at the bottom of the tank 99% of the time, and usually in the corner & opening/closing her mouth a lot. She is eating though.

I'm sorry the quality is not so good, I only have an IPhone, but I did take a video:

Catbug should be all white with a few orange scales on her back. This is very bad, IMO and I don't know what is wrong with her. The black started on her underside scales, and moved all the way over to her wen now. It did not start on her fins at all. Should I try switching to Pemafix, or something else?

When she started getting sick and I tested the water quality, it was perfect and today it looks perfect. I am really surprised. I don't know the source of this problem. Please help.

Sorry to hear about Catbug not feeling well. (Love the name!) Thank you for filling out the form so thoroughly.

Can you get a picture or video from above? It would be best to take Catbug out of the water and put her into a small container for the top view pic or video.

Do you every register nitrates in the tank? It is hard for me to imagine that you are not having any nitrates with 3 goldfish in a 26 gallon tank. The nitrate test procedure is different that the other tests. Please make sure you are following these different procedures. Thanks!

Edited by LisaCGold

Is she still pineconed?

I think your best bet is to QT her, add 1/4 tsp Epsom per 10 gallons and treat with powdered metronidazole along with another water born antibiotic (we can let you know which one if you're interested in this route) or feed Metro Meds if you have them. Melafix is not going to treat dropsy.

I agree with Lisa as far as the nitrates go . . . please retest, and read the directions following them to a T. :D

You were right. I vigorously shook the #2 additive before putting it in, but not the test tube ITSELF for the nitrate test. I made sure to read the instructions very carefully this time. I wonder how long I've been doing that. :death It looks like the Nitrate is between 10 and 20 ppm.

IMG_1737.jpg

Catbug was very weak when I took her out with my hands. She didn't even flap around in the bowl or try to swim. She felt more... squishy than usual, not her strong muscular self. Her lemon head is very PALE and she shouldn't be orange on her sides. That happened with the sickness (unless she color changed while sick?). :no:

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

Edited by paasaa

I agree with both Lisas. No Melafix or Pimafix. Do the Epsom, Metronidadazole + a gram negative antibiotic like Kapnaplex. I'm on my phone and can't see where you live. Do you have Metro Meds?

I live in Utah, USA. If you can buy it at Petco / Petsmart, we have it. There might be an aquarium shop in Salt Lake City. I don't know where to buy these medications. Where can people buy Metronidazole or Kapnaplex or Triple Sulfa(te??) in the US?

Edited by paasaa

The powdered meds (metro, trisulfa, etc) will not be found at big chain stores but many locally owned pet stores carry them. Or they can be ordered online . . .

Metroplus (metronidazole) or "General Cure" (Metronidazole & Praziquantel together)... and a medication called Triple Sulfa (trisulfa) are at a local aquarium shop called Rocky Mountain Reef, I just called. Will the instructions be on the box? Should I treat my QT tank and main tank? Should I use Metroplus or General Cure?

Thank you so much for your help. Did y'all think this is dropsy?

Looks like Lisa has got you covered, so I am butting out. Good luck :)

:wa Don't butt out. :wa

Have you seen triple sulfa at Petco or Petsmart? I haven't. Maybe different stores carry different things. I dont' think they have metro though .. . :idont

Get the Metro + and the Triple Sulfa. Make sure you have Epsom salt also. That can be found at just about any pharmacy.

Dropsy is organ failure which leads to fluid accumulation which leads to pineconing. Dropsy is simple a symptom of another problem, often a bacterial or parasitic infection.

Get the Metro + and the Triple Sulfa. Make sure you have Epsom salt also. That can be found at just about any pharmacy.

Dropsy is organ failure which leads to fluid accumulation which leads to pineconing. Dropsy is simple a symptom of another problem, often a bacterial or parasitic infection.

How much epsom salt do I use? Is it important that it's Epsom and not aquarium salt?

Thank you so much for your help, Lisa. I hope I can save her.

Okay, I'm going to go buy everything (meds & Epsom salt) right now. Should I still aquarium salt the QT tank?

Thank you. I will keep you posted as well.

Regarding the nitrates, the 10-20 ppm is in the safe range. Try not to get too much above 20 ppm before you do a water change. I keep my tank at less than 20 ppm for nitrates.

Thanks for your advice. My main tank gets its water change today (after QT tank dosing / etc.).

I put all three medicines in (Metronidazole, Triple Sulfa, Epsom salt) after calculating the correct dose. Then gently put Catbug in. I hope she makes it through. She's young (~1 1/2yo) and still eating, so fingers crossed. I wish I had posted sooner. Argh.

I'm sticking with my initial recommendation of metro and another antibiotic in the water or MMs if you have them . . . I would definitely QT her.

My local Aquarium store also had a food he showed me in case this doesn't work, called "New Life Spectrum Hex Shield". He said the FDA has recently let SOME types of medicated food back into the market. I can't find the ingredient but it says it fights intestinal/internal parasites like Hexamita and Spironucleus.

I don't know if that might be a good idea too. I didn't buy it because I didn't know what disease she has, other than bacterial/parasitic infection of unknown origin. :D

Will you let me know what the instructions are on the metro plus and the triple sulfa? We will probably alter them just a bit . . .

I will see if I can find that med food online and see what the ingredients are. :D

Metronidazole: 1/2 Tbs aka 1 capful per 10gal
API packet Triple Sulfa: 1/2 Tsp aka 1 packet per 10 gallons

I followed the Epsom salt like you said.

Also, the metro says to dose once every 24 hours, but do a 25% water change before the third dose.

Edited by paasaa

I'm sticking with my initial recommendation of metro and another antibiotic in the water or MMs if you have them . . . I would definitely QT her.

My local Aquarium store also had a food he showed me in case this doesn't work, called "New Life Spectrum Hex Shield". He said the FDA has recently let SOME types of medicated food back into the market. I can't find the ingredient but it says it fights intestinal/internal parasites like Hexamita and Spironucleus.

I don't know if that might be a good idea too. I didn't buy it because I didn't know what disease she has, other than bacterial/parasitic infection of unknown origin. :D

The active ingredient in Hex Shield is Metronidazole. But, my concern is the lack of exact dosage instructions with this food. I would go with the powders that Lisa has suggested which can can be dosed more precisely.