My 40B (A work in progress)

Cdionne77

Hi everyone, I figured I would share what my tank looks like so far. It probably won't stay like this but while it's still cycling this will do. Eventually I would like some live plants instead of these silk ones, and I am not sure how I am liking the bubble wall :hummm

I have the glass canopy top with one of my old tank light on top, and a few river rocks scattered about. Aqua Clear 70 and a 30 running. It's pretty plain and basic, but what it really needs is 2 :goldfish: in there, hopefully soon (hurry up BB's ) Oh and don't mind the manufacturer sticker on the top outside corner, still trying to get that stuff off which is a pain :krazy:

I'd be open to any suggestions on that one :D

IMG_20141010_18014_edit_1412978558292_zp

Edited by Cdionne77

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lookin' good! I second the real plants. Anubias and java fern can be glued to a rock or piece of driftwood, and they don't need much light. :)I re

I really like the look and also the benefits from live plants. You can glue them? any glue you recommend? I was also thinking about getting those Marimo balls, they are so cute

This tank is a flashback to my first one! :rofl It looked almost exactly like that.

Just make sure not to pile the stones together because they trap detritus.

I also "second" the idea of gluing things to rocks. Anubias are my favorite for this. :heart But be careful with marimo moss as goldfish love to eat them. It all depends on the goldfish, though, so feel free to get some cheap ones and try them out first. :)

This tank is a flashback to my first one! :rofl It looked almost exactly like that.

I also "second" the idea of gluing things to rocks. Anubias are my favorite for this. :heart But be careful with marimo moss as goldfish love to eat them. It all depends on the goldfish, though, so feel free to get some cheap ones and try them out first. :)

Thank you on the tip with the rocks, also can you use any kind of glue on living plants? I was thinking of maybe trying to attach the plants with fishing line

Thank you on the tip with the rocks, also can you use any kind of glue on living plants? I was thinking of maybe trying to attach the plants with fishing line

Use SuperGlue gel or SuperGlue. :)

You can use a razor blade to get the sticker off the tank, But I used "Goo Gone" on it. Put some on and let it sit then when it is soft scrape it off then I washed the glass with a wet wash rag or a sponge with a little bit of dish soap to wash off the goo gone because it is oily so then used a clean wet rag or sponge to rinse off all the soap.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goo-Gone-Remover-Citrus-Power-Carded-1-Ounce/32842788?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=30479141942&category=0%3A3944%3A546952%3A1046059%3A1065165&client_guid=34d057ec-07db-4b64-b87c-71940a26c7e9&config_id=0&parent_item_id=21022179&guid=2eb06041-7b9c-49db-b83a-e7be4ce33406&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

You can use a razor blade to get the sticker off the tank, But I used "Goo Gone" on it. Put some on and let it sit then when it is soft scrape it off then I washed the glass with a wet wash rag or a sponge with a little bit of dish soap to wash off the goo gone because it is oily so then used a clean wet rag or sponge to rinse off all the soap.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goo-Gone-Remover-Citrus-Power-Carded-1-Ounce/32842788?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=30479141942&category=0%3A3944%3A546952%3A1046059%3A1065165&client_guid=34d057ec-07db-4b64-b87c-71940a26c7e9&config_id=0&parent_item_id=21022179&guid=2eb06041-7b9c-49db-b83a-e7be4ce33406&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

I used rubbing alcohol with no luck and I forgot all about Goo Gone thanks :)

I think your tank looks really nice. Will this be the first time having goldfish?

Thank you, I have so many ideas for it that I will be redecorating :) I had goldfish years ago when I was a kid. My father kept them in a huge tank, I can't remember what kind they were, then years later he did a salt water tank that's what I remember the most. So GF will be new to me as I am learning everything I can on how to care for them while my tank is cycling. :)

I think your tank looks really nice. Will this be the first time having goldfish?

Thank you, I have so many ideas for it that I will be redecorating :) I had goldfish years ago when I was a kid. My father kept them in a huge tank, I can't remember what kind they were, then years later he did a salt water tank that's what I remember the most. So GF will be new to me as I am learning everything I can on how to care for them while my tank is cycling. :)

I thought this was but wasn't 100% sure. :) You picked up a great size of a tank for just starting out with goldfish and going about it an awesome way by learning and cycling your tank. When we (my teenage daughter) started keeping goldfish over 2 years ago we did a lot wrong. My daughter had two small fish in a 5 1/2 gallon uncycled tank. :yikes Thank goodness we kept up grading pretty fast, for I just didn't think it looked right/normal. We found Koko's forum when our fish was in a 29g, and started to learn a lot here. We now have 3 in a 60g. You are off to such a great and better start than what I was. Your going to have so much fun once your tank is cycled and picking out your fish. I'll be looking forward to this.

Be very very careful with goo gone! It's not advisable to use cleaning chemicals in/on a fish tank.

Thank you, I've been trying to scrape it off without anything but I did use a very small amount of rubbing alcohol on the outside :( I won't use it again. I'll keep scraping it off little by little it should come off eventually

If you don't have Goo Gone, which I think is fine to use on the outside of a tank, you can also use an oily furniture polish like Pledge or Old English (not the aerosol spray kind though!). Or try at Magic Eraser. :)

What kind of fish are you planning to get? Anubias and java fern super glued to rocks is very popular. :)

Im getting it off slowly with a razor blade. I dont know what they used for glue but its on their pretty good

Thanks everyone for your advice:)

When this tank is finished I'm having a hard time deciding if I would like 2 Oranda's or an oranda and a ranchu. I have my eye on some cute little girls from rain garden. I can only have two in this 40 so I'm torn :(