Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

How much does koi clay cloud the tank water?

Since there have been a few questions regarding koi clay and how much and how long it clouds the water, I decided to make a video series of adding koi clay to my tank. The first one is kind of long as I added it and then let it disperse for a while. The other videos are 15, 30, 45, and 60 minutes after adding the koi clay. As you can see, it clears fairly quickly although results will vary from tank to tank. Also, notice it does cloud your tank but not horribly. :D I added 1 tsp of koi clay to my 75 gallon tank. I use Ultimate Koi Clay. And, yes, I realize I should have done this at night so there wasn't so much glare. :doh11:

15 minutes after adding koi clay

30 minutes after adding koi clay

45 minutes after adding koi clay

60 minutes after adding koi clay

Awesome Lisa!! Look how clear the water is after :heart love it! Glad to see Bobbie is doing well! :)

Thanks for the videos Lisa - I really appreciate the time you put into this for us! :)

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of filming and posting this Lisa, you know I've been asking various questions about Koi Clay, so this is really great.

It's amazing how quickly the clouding clears, and the water does look great afterwards. How frequently do you add it? Twice a week? I can't wait to try mine now!

Thanks again, this is a really great reference :)

I've only been adding it weekly when I do a WC but I think I'm going to try twice a week like Chelsea said she does. :D

:clapping: your tank, fish, plants look great!!! Even in a cloud of clay :rockon

I want to steal Waddles :heart

Thanks for taking the time to make these vids for your Kokonuts :bighug We appreciate it :D

Your tank looks great even when cloudy!

I was wondering if you could add your filter cleaning routine? Do you think using clay increases the need to clean out your filter?

I was wondering if you could add your filter cleaning routine? Do you think using clay increases the need to clean out your filter?

I use koi clay with my twice a week w/c's, and it doesn't add to my frequency of filter cleanings. I have two AC 110's, and I clean them every third or fourth week. :)

Lisa, I'm jealous that your water clears so quickly! It takes mine several hours to really clear up nicely!

I use koi clay with my twice a week w/c's, and it doesn't add to my frequency of filter cleanings. I have two AC 110's, and I clean them every third or fourth week. :)

Lisa, I'm jealous that your water clears so quickly! It takes mine several hours to really clear up nicely!

Thank you, maybe the clay brand makes a difference or the filtration capacity. My tanks keep cloudy for 4-6 hours and i do need to clean the filters more often, but i think it is also because i feed gelfood and the clay acts as a flocculant more then if i do not feed gelfood.

I wonder if it has to do with the properties of the water. My water always clears within an hour, and it doesn't matter if it was clear to start with or I just got it muddied up with some work in the pond. The Microbe-Lift Koi Clay instructions say that 2 tablespoons per 500 gallons should clear in 6 hours and higher concentrations may take days to clear, so obviously some people get different results. I also have Ultimate Koi Clay, that all the pond forum people say is many times better than the Microbe Lift clay, and I can't see any difference. My water is very hard with a pH in the low 8s.

There is no question that more debris will result in more clay-debris caught by the filter. If I've been repotting pond plants or something else that stirs up detritus, I'll throw in some koi clay and clean a gunky filter the next day. I think in a nice clean aquarium like yafashelli's, the clay is more likely to form a thin film on the bottom of the tank than dirty the filter.

It's not obvious to me that more debris in the water should make it take longer for the clay to clear. I would think that more debris would result in more rapid formation of mass heavy enough to sink, but I may not be thinking straight.

Thank you, Lisa! That was very sweet of you to do for us. Your fishies don't seem to mind it at all--they look like they are having fun.

Edited by LisaCGold

I wonder if it has to do with the properties of the water. My water always clears within an hour, and it doesn't matter if it was clear to start with or I just got it muddied up with some work in the pond. The Microbe-Lift Koi Clay instructions say that 2 tablespoons per 500 gallons should clear in 6 hours and higher concentrations may take days to clear, so obviously some people get different results. I also have Ultimate Koi Clay, that all the pond forum people say is many times better than the Microbe Lift clay, and I can't see any difference. My water is very hard with a pH in the low 8s.

There is no question that more debris will result in more clay-debris caught by the filter. If I've been repotting pond plants or something else that stirs up detritus, I'll throw in some koi clay and clean a gunky filter the next day. I think in a nice clean aquarium like yafashelli's, the clay is more likely to form a thin film on the bottom of the tank than dirty the filter.

It's not obvious to me that more debris in the water should make it take longer for the clay to clear. I would think that more debris would result in more rapid formation of mass heavy enough to sink, but I may not be thinking straight.

I do sometimes find a tiny bit on the floor of the tank, but the fish recycle it, so I don't worry about it. ;):P

Thank you for saying my tank is so clean! Now, if only my house would follow.....