Sign in to follow this  
Vodka

Tips on Internal Parasites?!

I've been trying to cure internal parasites in my fish for three months already and it's not working! Adding garlic water, medicine. Any cures that you suggest? Their poop is either white, transparent, brown or a mix. The internal parasites come from the unreliable petstores.

Please fill out the D&D Check List linked below my signature. Just cut and paste it to your next post. This will help us to better advise you :)

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0.50 (my tank's cycled)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 5.0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH : 6.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph : 6.4
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops* Water temperature? I don't have a thermometer but the water's quite cold.

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 35 gallons, about a year now
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim 2215, 164gph
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? The least is twice a week, more than 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • Ryukin's about 3 inches, Telescope's 3 inches too, Oranda's 2 inches and Pearscale's 1.2
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aqumedi's Guardian
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? DIY Gelfood and Koi food, about three to four times per day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Last month.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Nope.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I can't remember but I did put aquarium salt, BeFuran and some Chinese medicine I cannot read. The most is two weeks
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White poop
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? nope

The first thing I would do is get the ammonia down to zero and the pH up to at least 7.0. You are not cycled or the meds have caused a cycle bump if your ammonia is at 0.50 :(

Four Goldfish is a lot for a 35 gallon. This can be an underlying factor for disease.

White poop isn't always a sign of an internal infection, but it might be. Are the fish bottom sitting or showing any other signs of an internal infection?

If a diagnosis of an internal infection is made, we usually recommend Metronidazole plus a gram negative antibiotic such as Kanamycin.

Yeah I know. It's the only tank I have, and I can't upgrade. I got these fish as presents. I'll try to. My petstores are different. I live in a different country and there are no such things as Metro. I can find yellow powder, if that's an antibiotic

No, they are not bottom sitting. They are eating happily and swimming around.

Yeah I know. It's the only tank I have, and I can't upgrade. I got these fish as presents. I'll try to. My petstores are different. I live in a different country and there are no such things as Metro. I can find yellow powder, if that's an antibiotic

No, they are not bottom sitting. They are eating happily and swimming around.

The Yellow Powder is a Nitrofuran and I don't know if that would really help with an anaerobic infection. However, if your fish are active and happy, I would first get your ammonia and nitrite to zero, nitrate to near zero and your pH up to at least 7.0. Hold off on antibiotics as they will stall your cycle. You can use baking soda to raise your KH which will also raise and buffer your pH. Rehoming 2 of the fish would make keeping the water healthy a lot easier, too.

No one will take the goldfish. There are, but they're gonna put them in bowls. How do I knock my water parameters to zero?

No one will take the goldfish. There are, but they're gonna put them in bowls. How do I knock my water parameters to zero?

As Jared suggested removing some of the fish will help with water quality, but I understand not wanting to rehome them. Water changes are always your best friend when dealing with spikes.

Just some food for thought: I noticed you have an Eheim 2215 on this tank. While I love this filter and use it on a similar sized tropical tank, I'm not so sure I would use it as my only filter with goldfish, especially four of them. While it does hold quite a lot of media, it also doesn't have the fastest turn over and is significantly hindered when tubes get dirty.

Anyway, best of luck with your fish! I hope they feel better soon. :)

I cannot help you with the possible medical issues, but I understand that you are reluctant of rehoming two fish, when you know that they will go to very bad homes where they are kept in bowls.

With that you will have to make the best out of your current situation. If you can, try to do two 75% water changes weekly. Try to provide as much water volume for the fish as possible. That means if your tank has gravel or sand, remove all of it (remove 25% of it once a week). A very thin layer is ok.

Having no substrate will also help keep the tank cleaner, because poop and other waste won't get caught in it.

If you have decorations in the tank such as caves, big rocks, wood etc, remove those. This will give you more room for water volume.

Additionally, if you aren't already doing so, fill the tank up as much as you can without the water spilling over. Leave enough room that you can stick your hand/arm down and reach the bottom of the tank without the water flowing over the top of the tank.

Try to get some live terrestrial plants, such as pothos. Clean all the soil off the roots of the plant, and then somehow fix the plant to the top of your tank so that only the roots reach into the water. The plant can live like that, getting water and removing some excess nutrients from your fish tank. This may help keep the fish-produced toxins under control, but it is not a wonder cure.

You will still have to put quite a bit of work into keeping your tank as fish-safe as possible :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

is there any school or library near by that might have a microscope? perhaps you or they can microscope some of the fishes poop and slime coat? fish are more likely to have external parasites than internal parasites, even though internal parasites is quite possible however, the poop you describe could very well be observed when fish are simply stressed. and given the space they're all in, this is a strong possibility.

if they have internal parasites, they can be quite nasty and larger symptoms would be visible by now..

do you think you can get food safe tub, about the size of your current tank or larger? this way you can divide the fish and give them more space by keeping some in the tank and some in the tub?

Well,the libraries here really suck so no luck on that. The schools will for sure not let me use theirs,as im still a student

I will try to find a good food safe tub.

Hope they feel better.

Well,the libraries here really suck so no luck on that. The schools will for sure not let me use theirs,as im still a student

i don't understand, if you are still a student, then you should still have access? try asking.. i would hate for more parasitic medication if there are none to treat for.

I could ask, but the teachers there are very protective of their items. I will try to ask.

I could ask, but the teachers there are very protective of their items. I will try to ask.

be creative.. insist that you are interested in learning from them ;) (which essentially you are! :rofl )

I will try to find a good food safe tub.

I'm sorry your fish aren't doing well at this time. I think that would be great to find them a bigger place/home than what they are in now.

Well, I asked politely but they turned me down.

I know the teachers turned you down on using a microscope. What about you coming to school with the specimen to look at and asking a teacher to help you look at it under the microscope? Helen will need to tell you what specimen to bring (like a piece of poop, a scraping, etc).

As a professor, it would be hard to turn down a student who eagerly comes to me with something to look at.

Edit: It looks like Helen did specify in an earlier post what specimens to look at. If approaching your teacher in this way works, you'll want to draw a picture as best you can what you are seeing under the microscope. Then take a picture of it and post it here.

Edited by LisaCGold

Well, I did bring poo and slime coat samples but they said no. I'm just any other thirteen year old student. What else can be done?

How about showing them this thread to show them you are serious?

The only symptom is sometimes white, transparent, brown, or mixed poop, correct? They appear healthy otherwise, correct?

Edit: I suggest following jmetzger72's advice.

Edited by LisaCGold

Well, I did bring poo and slime coat samples but they said no. I'm just any other thirteen year old student. What else can be done?

First, I would try improving the water quality with larger and more frequent water changes as well as raising the KH and buffering your pH with baking soda. Healthy water is the first step in any effective treatment. We can help you with how to buffer the pH. Second, I would stop adding medicines, because they will continue to stall the cycle and make it difficult to keep ammonia and nitrite levels down.

Since the fish seem to be active and happy, the white poop may not be a serious problem. However, if they begin to bottom sit or show other signs of illness, then the appropriate antibiotics may be necessary to cure them.

Well, looks like the cycle is back. I added cycled ceramic media. So.. After all.. My fish are healthy?