Bore water - professional testing advice

Lozzie

Hi everyone :)

I live in rural Victoria Australia where we don't have access to town water. I have rain water tanks and access to bore water.

I'd love to be able to use the bore water instead of the tank, not only because we get droughts here and it costs a lot to get the tank refilled by tanker, but also for convenience of refilling the tanks.

There is a local company that I can use to test the water. They give a reading for:

Nitrogen

Calcium

Boron

Chloride

Copper

Iron

Magnesium

Manganese

Phosphorus

Sodium

Zinc

Sulphur

Conductivity

PH

Is there anything missing from this test that I should consider? It's $120 for the test, so I don't want to have to get it done by someone else if this company is missing something that I need to be aware of for fishies. They test water for farmers and crops watering - I doubt they have tests specific for goldfish hoarders ;)

It is important to know the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. In agricultural areas, the nitrate level can be problematic (I don't know how deep your well is). It is a good indication that it is safe for goldfish if it is safe for human consumption.

Just find someplace to purchase the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. This is what you will use to test your water each time you need it. :) Add the GH/KH kit as well, since this will help to determine if the PH is stable.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I was worried about ag run off and mineral, chemical build up as I am surrounded by dairy farms. The bore pump is only connected to toilets and garden taps, so I'm unsure if it is safe for drinking. As I rent, I don't know how deep the bore is or anything much about it TBH. I'll ask around the neighbours and see what they use.

I've checked the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites with API liquid test and everything is at nil. The gh/kh were good too, but I only checked that with API strips.... Not the liquid kit.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid hey :), my chooks do fine on the water

I'll retest with the home tests, and might chat with the long term neighbours about their water, and the LFS and if all clear then start adding 10% into WC and raise from there.....

Thanks for the fast responses.

I think you should definitely have the water thoroughly tested and ask them to determine is the water is safe for drinking and safe for aquaculture (fish farming). This should give you the information you need. If the water is suitable for growing food fish, it will be fine for goldfish.

I don't see any bacterial testing on the list. At the least, you should test for coliforms. I am suspicious about the limited use of the water. I'm sure the bore water was tested initially, and I would think that if it was suitable for drinking it would be used for more than toilets and garden taps.

Here, we have government agencies that can provide water testing of private wells or direct you to qualified private laboratories. Do you have anything like this?

If your water tests satisfactorily, I recommend you change 10% of the water daily using the bore water for a week. This will give the fish a chance to adjust to the different water. If they remain happy through this week, you can switch to a normal 50% water chance weekly.

Thank you for the advice.

I didn't think of asking in terms of aquaculture.

I also didn't consider bacteria, great point.

I will search around for somewhen to do a comprehensive test. I'm sure there is someone/government, I just need to hunt /ask around a bit more.

Hopefully it's safe to use as I would love to set up an aquaponics system over the summer as well as making WC easier.

Thank you again

There's a great Australian aquaponics website that you should read. This video is one of the best DIY videos I have ever seen. No useless babbling, just straight, understandable instruction. I don't think I've seen anyone so much in love with her angle grinder, but it is a great tool.

Thanks shakaho, I'll check this out!

Thanks diesel power, I'll make sure to find a professional tester that checks that, and the bacteria.

Great advice everyone. Thank you