Sign in to follow this  
Swimmysmom

Please Help!

Hi!

My name is Christine and my son won a feeder goldfish 5 years ago at a carnival. He has grown to a significant size and has always been an active eater. I currently keep him in a 20 gallon tank which I upgraded a few months ago from a 10 gallon. About a week and a half ago, I noticed that he stopped eating. He spends most of the day at the bottom of the tank, in the corner. On occasion, he will swim around but not much. I read about a variety of goldfish diseases and I do not see any signs other than not eating. His poop is white/clear in color now. I changed 80% of the water and cleaned the plants and gravel 6 days ago. I treat the water with Goldfish Protect and I always add Aquarium Salt. Just in case he has a bacterial infection, I started adding Melafix to the water when I conducted the 80% water change. I stopped feeding him pellets and switched to peas. He has always loved peas. He won't go near them anymore. Today, I bought blood worms and he has no interest. My water levels are fine and I have a good filtration system. I change the filter once a week.

Does anyone know what could be happening? My son is devastated because essentially, we are watching him die from not eating. I can't believe I am losing sleep over this fish, but I have taken care of him for the past 5 years. What should I do?

Christine

:hi and welcome to the forum. Please fill out the following form which will help us immensely in figuring out what is going on with your son's GF. :D

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

in addition to the questionnaire, if you can provide video and/or photos, that would be great. photos from both sides and top view will be very helpful.

Hi Christine,

I believe you are Elizabeth's(my student) friend. She was texting me about your fish earlier and I told her to refer you here as I had to work until 8:00. I'm glad you found Fantailfan1 and Helen :)

Your answers to the form above will really help us to help you figure this out. Just answer what you can and we will get to work on this.

:teehee. I was a little suspicious when I saw she was from Chicago. :teehee

And is the fish's name Swimmy? I have a fish named Swimmy but we spell it Swimmie. :lol2

Lisa, did you notice the fish's name :teehee

Edit: Yep, you did :rofl

I have totally lost sleep over a fish before xD I hope Swimmy gets better real soon!