Is it normal to get a cycle bump when upgrading to larger tank?

andry6

You are supposed to view the tubes from the side. Some people here have recommended looking down through the tube to see if (for example) there is really a trace of green in the ammonia test. You can't compare that color to the chart. It's just shows it is not zero.

So you have nitrate, but less than 5 ppm. That is very good.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are supposed to view the tubes from the side. Some people here have recommended looking down through the tube to see if (for example) there is really a trace of green in the ammonia test. You can't compare that color to the chart. It's just shows it is not zero.

So you have nitrate, but less than 5 ppm. That is very good.

Thank you. I do usually view them from the side, but in this example I was looking for that trace of orange by looking down as you stated above regarding the ammonia. I am relieved to see the nitrates...even if it is just a trace. :)

Interesting food for thought.....

After running a very strict routine for many years, or maybe better said running a tight ship. Ohwell you get my drift i suppose..... :)

I came to the conclusion that the water and the fish react to any change i make in this routine or the setup. Thats it.

I did a 75% water change on Friday. Brought ammonia down to 0. Today, 3 days later, ammonia is between .25 & .5, nitrites still zero, nitrates almost .5. Not quite, but definitely orange, not yellow

Today my readings are:

ammonia: .25ppm

nitrites: .25ppm

nitrates: 5ppm

Should I prime and let it brew or do a large WC? My last WC was 75% five days ago.

Nitrates probably 5 not .5?

Yes, you are right. I am a moron...it is not quite 5ppm...

Youre not a moron. I was just pointing it out in case you didn't realize it. Others may not realize it either. No biggie.

Well, unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to do the water change yesterday, but plan to do one this evening.

But I have good news!

Today my ammonia is at 0! I even looked straight down the tube to see if there was any hint of green in the color and it was a bright yellow!

Nitrites still .25 and Nitrates still 5.

Update:

Today's readings are

ammonia - 0

nitrites - 0 :nana

nitrates - 5

My last water change was about 80% 4 days ago! At that time nitrites were .5.

Edited by andry6