Won't Eat veggies

Rocky

It is a good idea to blanch or soften them some. Spinach or dandelion greens on a clip are favourites. I have never noticed my fish to be interested in zucchini although the snails love it. Peas should be popped out of their shells. I take frozen peas, pour boiling water over them and when they have completely cooled, pop them out of their shells and into the water.

Thank, oh yes I deshell them. Thats a good idea about the hot water. Will try that but no I have no blanched them. I will give that a shot, thanks. Will go to the grocery store today and pick some stuff up. Oh yes I rememeber reading garlic is so good for them, great, thanks.

Edited by Rocky

Also leave the food in the tank for 24 and see if they figure it out. I had to put blanched spinach in a whole day then switch it for fresh for another day and then they figured it out :doh11: now they'll rip any greens to shreads!

If your goldfish are teeny tiny, I find its easier for them to get a mouthful if you just snip the edges of leaves, like sort of fray them, or even cut them into strips.

I used to do this with blanched cucumber and courgette (zucchini) for my pearlie and he loved it.

image_zps44b89ac0.jpg

To get them to be more interested, forego feeding them anything else during that day that you introduce the new food. It encourages them to try what you want to give.

Also, I would suggest not feeding peas at all. They give goldfish gas more than other greens do. Stick with dark, leafy greens, or even Nori (that seaweed they wrap sushi in).

• Supporter

Also, I would suggest not feeding peas at all. They give goldfish gas more than other greens do.

i don't understand this, chelsea.. how so 'gas'?

we feed peas to relieve constipation until a nice flow of green poop is seen, one without air bubbles or colouration other than green.. indicating a nice consistent pea poop... this is the result of peas so i don't understand how peas cause gas to goldfish.. broccoli on the other hand can cause gas as it's been known to send fish floaty, but not peas from what i understand which comes from my experiences in feeding it to my goldfish or advising others on the forums.

Also, I would suggest not feeding peas at all. They give goldfish gas more than other greens do.

i don't understand this, chelsea.. how so 'gas'?

we feed peas to relieve constipation until a nice flow of green poop is seen, one without air bubbles or colouration other than green.. indicating a nice consistent pea poop... this is the result of peas so i don't understand how peas cause gas to goldfish.. broccoli on the other hand can cause gas as it's been known to send fish floaty, but not peas from what i understand which comes from my experiences in feeding it to my goldfish or advising others on the forums.

This is something Alex told me. I can't remember to quote the reasoning for it (I probably should go back and dig through to find it.)

Okay well I know peas are given for bloat. I blanched some lettuce and they like it, yahoo thanks for all the tips. That's a good idea not to feed them and introduce the new food.

Edited by Rocky