Help. New Betta shredded red streaked fins

So I received my little guy today.

My boyfriend received the package while I was at work. He said that he was in a tiny bag.

The poor thing has shredded fins, that are streaked with red. He looks a state.

I'll send pictures in a minute.

He is relatively active. Reacts to interaction.

This is a bad start. How to I get him healthy?

I cannot answer this question but all I can say that I was actually surprised how quickly fins can deteriorate. Chloe's looked bit odd in the morning, 3 hours later they had first splits, and now tips are in shreds.

Wow he is gorgeous! :heart it sounds like shipping stress. Make sure his water is pristine and those fins should heal snd the streaking should go away. Make sure he's in a dark room so he can de-stress. You can even put a towel over the tank if needed.

Your welcome :) I hope he improves!!

You should see what the bettas are shipped in at my LFS :no: we get so mad. We acclinate them and get them into bowls that are actually filled and not cups that are halfway filled. We change their water every two days :)

How was he packaged, Kat? I had a conversation with one of the betta importers/breeders here and she likes to send them with heat packs. She's noticed they seem less likely to fin nip during transit, but it's also up to the individual fish.

Make sure there aren't too many reflections that can stress him out—you'll know, he'll flare for no reason at a tank wall.

He's gorgeous by the way! :D

My boyfriend put him into at for me. But apparently he was in a small half filled bag and light packaging. No heat pack. I had a feeling it might have been the temp. But could he have done so much damage in transit? I'm keeping him at 81F in the qt

My boyfriend put him into at for me. But apparently he was in a small half filled bag and light packaging. No heat pack. I had a feeling it might have been the temp. But could he have done so much damage in transit? I'm keeping him at 81F in the qt

If he was stressed then it's entirely possible. Some of them are prolific at fin nipping.

27 is a good temperature. I keep mine around there too and that seems to be where he's most active. :)

He is beautiful, Dandy, and I hope he perks up for you. The local fish garage (a sort of unofficial/official store) hates that they receive bettas in what they describe as a couple of tablespoons of water from the 'breeders'.

so my little betta is doing well in qt. he is very active. his fins haven't improved much yet though. maybe a little less red. They seem to curl at the end. I think this what I saw as knots. I read that this can be due to a hard ph. Once I put him into his main tank, I think that should solve it since, the Amazonia brings the high London water ph down. I'm just wondering whether I should do anything to his qt tank.