Basic Stuff

Acro

I know I've seen it on the forum before, but I've had trouble finding the threads, so . . .

What is the best Goldfish book out there? I'd like to know some good recommended reading and see if there is anything I need to add to my goldfish library.

What are the precautionary treatments people normally give new goldfish?

What treatments are given every now and then as precautionary measures?

I know I've seen it on the forum before, but I've had trouble finding the threads, so . . .

What is the best Goldfish book out there? I'd like to know some good recommended reading and see if there is anything I need to add to my goldfish library.

What are the precautionary treatments people normally give new goldfish?

What treatments are given every now and then as precautionary measures?

Fancy Goldfish - Johnson and Hess (25% -30% off on sale at www.goldfishconnection.com)

Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health - Roberts

Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment 2nd Edition - Noga

0.3% salt for at least 2 weeks

Praziquantel for at least 4 rounds

Antibiotics (only if bacterial infections present)

1-2 rounds of Praziquantel every 6 months in main tanks

And what are these precautionary treatments and precautionary measures addressing?

Thanks!

Flukes.

Fish Pathology by Roberts is another book to consider, but is a bit of a tome and rather expensive. If you have access to a university library though, you can get a PDF of it rather easily. Just saying. :whistle

And what are these precautionary treatments and precautionary measures addressing?

Thanks!

The 0.3 % salt is for cliliated protozoans including Ich and others that are less visible. It also helps to prevent bacterial infections. The Prazi is for Flukes.

If you had to chose one - which one would that be?

The Johnson and Hess is the least expensive, a good "all around book" and is the easiest to process. Nice pictures, too. But, some of the medicinal data is lacking. I would definitely get this one for an overall understanding of Goldfish keeping and then fact check or supplement the disease section.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=1&parentId=3&catId=3

• Admin

The Johnson and Hess is the least expensive, a good "all around book" and is the easiest to process. Nice pictures, too. But, some of the medicinal data is lacking. I would definitely get this one for an overall understanding of Goldfish keeping and then fact check or supplement the disease section.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=1&parentId=3&catId=3

Oh you gave me an idea Jared with those books on Sale..... Oh oh... Let me see :teehee

I have this book, thought it'd be good for a beginner like myself. I'm assuming overall the information in the book is good, seems to be recommended a lot. But with you saying the medicinal data is lacking and some of the recommendations in the book, like 10-20% weekly WC and 10 gallons/fish, is this really the best all around book?

I have this book, thought it'd be good for a beginner like myself. I'm assuming overall the information in the book is good, seems to be recommended a lot. But with you saying the medicinal data is lacking and some of the recommendations in the book, like 10-20% weekly WC and 10 gallons/fish, is this really the best all around book?

I haven't come across any books that recommend our water change and stocking numbers. And since medicine is always changing and progressing, most books fall behind rather quickly. But, I still think there is a a great deal of valuable information in this book. It is also very enjoyable to read :)

I think it is the best all around book. The other ones are much more detailed and read more like a textbook. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but they are much more technical.

The Johnson & Hess book has been around for several years so I do think some of the suggestions are outdated (such as WCs, gallons per fish rule, etc) but it is still probably the book I like best. :idont

I've stumbled across this whilst browsing my uni ebook library.

Aquarium care of goldfish by Boruchowitz

This is quite a decent beginner goldfish keeping book. It emphasizes how important 10 gallons per fish is and recommends large water changes.