Sign in to follow this  
asteria

filter died... suggestions for a new one?

Hey everyone,

My filter suddenly decided to die on me..... im currently running a smaller old filter on my tank just to get by for now... but I am looking for a new one now. I am also in the process of upgrading to a 40b. Any suggestions on brand? I mostly would like one thats quiet, since my tank is in my bedroom. Thanks! :)

Edited by asteria

Canister filters are always good, quiet too! Most HOBs I've used have been quiet provided you keep the water level high enough to counter splashing. How much money are you looking to spend?

I have 3 Aquaclear 110 filters & have had them for years! I find they do a really great job & are easy to clean & maintain!

I like Aquaclears for HOB filters, but canisters are quieter. I like Fluval canisters, not necessarily better than others, but because they are the ones I have used. :)

I'd recommend getting running 2 filters on your tank. I am also a big fan of Aquaclears. You could do either 2 AC 70s or 110s on your tank, depending on how much filtration you're looking to provide.

I'd recommend getting running 2 filters on your tank. I am also a big fan of Aquaclears. You could do either 2 AC 70s or 110s on your tank, depending on how much filtration you're looking to provide.

I have a 55 gallon in my bedroom with 2 AC 70s and they are very quiet. Initially, they may make a little noise until they break in. You can also take the lids off at night to reduce the resonance inside the box.

Aqueon 55/75. $30 on Amazon.com. 400 gph.

Just gotta add: They will be loud for a week max until they build a biofilm, then quiet down.

But yes, I agree. Well worth it.

Just gotta add: They will be loud for a week max until they build a biofilm, then quiet down.

But yes, I agree. Well worth it.

True it is a bit loud at first. This can be helped by stuffing more media in the filter of just giving it a bit of time.

SunSun's are cheap on ebay. They are nice, quiet canister filters with a lot of room for media.

Another for sunsun/aquatop canister filters! (same kind)

I have two that work great!

I have 3 Aquaclear 110 filters & have had them for years! I find they do a really great job & are easy to clean & maintain!

+1 for the aquaclears!

Have one running for over 10 years now and hasn't missed a beat. Only had to replace the impeller when it wasn't working well...

Other options would be external cannister either a fluval or an eheim. These hold more filter media and are as reliable as the aquaclears from my experience and friends.

If you don't mind the look of them, sponge filters would be a good secondary/backup filter in case of power outage as sometimes the aquaclears and externals don't self prime.... have been caught out a couple of times :(

wow everyone, thank you all for the suggestions! unfortunately i'm currently on budget, so the aqueon 55/75 seems like a good deal for me. Never knew they can be so cheap! does this filter have extra space so that i can stuff some more of those ceramic media into it?

wow everyone, thank you all for the suggestions! unfortunately i'm currently on budget, so the aqueon 55/75 seems like a good deal for me. Never knew they can be so cheap! does this filter have extra space so that i can stuff some more of those ceramic media into it?

It's huge. Since I don't use the cartridges that came with it (which you shouldn't, buy some filter padding instead and convert it) I have two layers of filter padding and am able to fit a whole sponge from a sponge filter in the other side. There's room for several bags of ceramic media, depending on how you have it set up. I usually do one chamber of mechanical and one of biomedia, since it holds two chambers.

I have an Aquaclear70 and an aqueon 55/75 on my 40B. What I Iike about the Aqueon(aside from the price lol)is that when the power goes out, it comes back on automatically.Unfortunately, that is a recurring problem here. :rolleyes:

The Aqueons are great; best HOB I have used. Very quiet, too.

Remember - you can normally get everything cheaper online! :D

I always check the wattage too, I was comparing some cheap filters to some dearer ones and they can be 60w on the cheapies, and only 5w on the dear ones!!!you'll notice it on your power bill as it's running 24hours a day.

A hardware saving today might cost you a bomb in overall running costs.

Of course if you live somewhere where you get cheap electricity GO NUTS!