Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Betty - slight pineconing

All day today the fish have been after Betty. They've been going hard, so I moved her to a large bowl to float around and rest.

After about ten minutes I saw she was very slightly prickly. It's not the typical chu or matte pricklies that give a lot of us heart attacks every time we see them.

She has not released any eggs yet, but I don't really expect any since she hasn't done so in months.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) .25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0-5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) .50
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0-5
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2 - 7.6 KH: ~53 (I know! :donthit:) GH: 107.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2 - 7.6 KH: ~53 (to a very pale yellow) GH: 107.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? set at 76
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 gallons, up since late May, seeded with media from a tank cycled in May 2013
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 406 (383 gph), AC 110 and AC70 (800gph together)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 5-7 days, about 75%
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last night, changed about 80%
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Six - four of them between 28-60g, two under 10g
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Only Prime (i know I need to be buffering the water, I've been reading up on it but still afraid to stir the pot which is so dumb. should be more scared of a huge crash)
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 3 times daily - Omega One Cichlid pellets & mysis shrimp, veggie (Emerald Entree frozen cubes) and/or some leaf veg, and frozen bloodworms at night
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? Five weeks ago, my two fry were added.
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Last round of Prazi was in mid-August. One round only, when fry were added to the tank. Previous treatment was in May when Plumbean was added, one round.
      • BETTY'S PRAZI: She came from DO in late March - went through four rounds of Prazi while in QT.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? slight pineconing, otherwise she looks fine
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She is just a little exhausted from her boyfriends, but is pretty normal.

If you need other angles or anything else, please let me know and I will try my best.

I've been advised to start her in 1/4tsp epsom per 10g of water. I will set her up in that now.

You got good eyes to see that. Fins crossed for a speedy recovery.

Im sorry she isn't feeling well Jenna :hug the epsom is a good start. Would you be able to get her weight for us please?

Edited by Mikey

:hi Jenna,

She doesn't look too bad, but I do see the prickly scales. So, go ahead with the Epsom as I mentioned to you in the LTAF thread. Keep us posted. If she continues to pinecone, we can try the metro Meds.

What a unique fish! I can't help, but Betty sure is lovely. Fins crossed for quick healing! Those boys...

Get better quickly Betty :cry

fingers crossed for miss betty ! :heart
she's been my favourite on this site since you got her :wub:

I would do epsom salt and medicated food in a very clean Qtank. No aquarium salt or meds, it looks like her slimecoat is damaged.

You got good eyes to see that. Fins crossed for a speedy recovery.

:rofl they're good for some things. I'm pretty sure I could see a prickly scale from across the room during a blackout.

Im sorry she isn't feeling well Jenna :hug the epsom is a good start. Would you be able to get her weight for us please?

Will do! Thanks hun :)

:hi Jenna,

She doesn't look too bad, but I do see the prickly scales. So, go ahead with the Epsom as I mentioned to you in the LTAF thread. Keep us posted. If she continues to pinecone, we can try the metro Meds.

Okay. Now what exactly should the Epsom do if it works as we're hoping?

I know it's used often in these types of things, but I guess I never looked past that!

What a unique fish! I can't help, but Betty sure is lovely. Fins crossed for quick healing! Those boys...

Thanks so much! She is so special. :teehee:heart

and yes. :wa to them both, and the other one who might just be a boy too :rofl

Get better quickly Betty :cry

:hug thanks Rob.

Hopefully it's nothing. It very well could be.

The Epsom Salt helps to draw out excess fluid in the body. It can also help with egg impaction.

I agree with Jared. She does look a bit prickly and, like you said, not the typical prickly we see with matte fish.

If she was my fish, I'd definitely QT her with Epsom and keep a close eye on her. :D

I happen to know your MMs have magical healing powers so if we need to go that route I think she will be just fine. :teehee

fingers crossed for miss betty ! :heart

she's been my favourite on this site since you got her :wub:

awwwww thanks Elisa :bighug

That's so sweet. :heart

I would do epsom salt and medicated food in a very clean Qtank. No aquarium salt or meds, it looks like her slimecoat is damaged.

Her slimecoat looked fine to me but I will take a closer look once she is in her tank. :)

Thanks Jared! Thought it was something like that. :rofl

I agree with Jared. She does look a bit prickly and, like you said, not the typical prickly we see with matte fish.

If she was my fish, I'd definitely QT her with Epsom and keep a close eye on her. :D

I happen to know your MMs have magical healing powers so if we need to go that route I think she will be just fine. :teehee

:teehee All things you send me are magic! :lisa:

Thanks so much! I read your pm and got... distracted. :crazy:

I feel a bit more at ease now. She is set up in Jenny's room, almost ready to go in. Bubbles at full blast for Her Highness and I'll grab a few plants to keep her busy. :teehee

Thanks everyone. :grouphug

This scares me so much after what happened to Teddy, I hope she gets better soon :hug

This scares me so much after what happened to Teddy, I hope she gets better soon :hug

:o now I'm scared!

Thanks Lis. So far she seems unaffected by it. unlike me. :peeka

Well.

Apparently the epsom is doing something! :o

She is pooping a white/yellowish, zig-zaggy, inconsistent poop.

Doesn't this usually indicate egg impaction, or just egginess?

Oh no, I'm sorry, now that I read my comment back it's not a nice comment to have wrote :no: don't worry, Betty looks much better than Teddy did, and she doesn't look too fat either :)

eggy something, anyway..

What she said. :rofl3

I just saw some more zig zag poo from Bobbie and she's been in QT and on MMs for about 10 days now. :o She acts fine, eats fine and doesn't look like a balloon ready to burst anymore so I'm no worried. I just wonder where she was hiding that. :o

Oh no, I'm sorry, now that I read my comment back it's not a nice comment to have wrote :no: don't worry, Betty looks much better than Teddy did, and she doesn't look too fat either :)

Nooo no it's fine! It's okay, I knew what you were saying :hug

I do the same thing, like I saw the pricklies and went to instant flashbacks of my past dropsied fish.

eggy something, anyway..

What she said. :rofl3

I just saw some more zig zag poo from Bobbie and she's been in QT and on MMs for about 10 days now. :o She acts fine, eats fine and doesn't look like a balloon ready to burst anymore so I'm no worried. I just wonder where she was hiding that. :o

:rofl oh these pesky fish.

Did she drop eggs? Or she was just.... filled up :o

I'll tell you one thing though, if I do see her about to drop some eggs I can't say I wouldn't yank Plumbean from the tank, throw him in with her and see what happens :rofl

I haven't ever seen her drop eggs. :rofl But she must and I just don't see them as is evidenced by Waldo. She hasn't dropped any in QT unless she ate them. :idont

I hope Betty feel's better soon.

Okay, I've just ordered new MMs.

and my store has Metro+ in stock. Is this what I want, if I will need it down the line?

I hope Betty feel's better soon.

Thanks! :)

Oh Betty :grouphug

She's just the most unique goldfish I've ever seen! I love her :hug