Sign in to follow this  
orangeboar

Ping Pong Pearlies!

Hi all! I had the misfortunate of going to fish stores every shipment day lol. I really should stop doing that... Well anyways, the fish store got another batch of ping pong pearlscales in and they were 10.99 each. More expensive than usual, but I guess because I was told that was a good batch and slightly bigger than normal batches. I was happy because these ones didn't have the black button eyes which a lot of these pearlies do and they have VERY defined "pearls". Very beautiful.

So with my previous experiences of ping pong pearlies (and fish shops apparently) is that they all die off for no reason and they can't figure out why. Well, this batch has been at the store for a few days and with me for day 3 now and they look like they are doing great. They are in a 20G long Prazi quarantine and taking bloodworms, brine shrimp and veggies! I am excited, but don't want to get my hopes up. I tried about 6 times and they all died within 1-2 days and they always are inactive when I bring them home. But these guys are swimming around and doing their thing. One looks like he might have a bit of trouble uprighting himself, but otherwise fine. As of now, I haven't seen them apart from each other! They like to stay by each other. They like to stay near the bottom of the tanks too, only coming up for food. (which I fully expect because of their... body structure.)

Well anyway, I haven't given them names yet in case of their untimely passing, but I do hope they stick around for the long haul. I am very excited as these are bigger than usual so hopefully means they are hardier. The bags don't do them justice. They are SO round and these are the plumpest most round ping pongs I have seen. They get close to some of the ping pong vids on the net! They do have trouble swimming and I do kind of feel bad for them, but that is a whole nother discussion. xD

So here they are... haven't taken pics of their tanks yet, just them in their bags for now...

IMGP1896.jpg

This is my FAVOURITE pic.. So I gotta show it first lol. SO ROUND!

IMGP1888.jpg

Overhead view of pearlies

IMGP1893.jpg

PEARLIE BUTTS!!!!

IMGP1894.jpg

IMGP1897.jpg

IMGP1898.jpg

Edited by Gloyd

Great to see a pearlie keeper!

I've heard of some others who had difficulties with pearls (in store and early in qt) and sudden deaths. A few performed "autopsies" and determined the likely cause to be internal damage, assumed sustained in shipping. I'm glad yours are showing no such issues, they're freakin' adorable!

Hard to find Em without the button eyes it's true, and the one in the forefront of the last photo has a great head! You should post a shot or two of them once they're settled in the pearlscale thread!

Wishing you a continued uneventful QT

Oh my gosh those are some round babies you have. :) They are adorable. I hope they do well for you in qt with no big issues.

I too have a pearlscale that I purchased at either petsmart or petco just a bit over two years ago. (I'd have to ck paperwork to see which store) Mine was a lot cheaper at about $3.00. :)

I hope you have an uneventful qt , pearlies can be hit or miss sometimes as they are semi delicate fish , but if the batch is good you shouldn't have any issues with internal damage

Great to see a pearlie keeper!

I've heard of some others who had difficulties with pearls (in store and early in qt) and sudden deaths. A few performed "autopsies" and determined the likely cause to be internal damage, assumed sustained in shipping. I'm glad yours are showing no such issues, they're freakin' adorable!

Hard to find Em without the button eyes it's true, and the one in the forefront of the last photo has a great head! You should post a shot or two of them once they're settled in the pearlscale thread!

Wishing you a continued uneventful QT

Thanks Amy!! I will be sure to show them off once they pass quarantine. *crosses fingers* And do you happen to have a site or something that shows this discussion? Or is it on Kokos as well? I would love to read about these problems for the pearlscales.

And I know right? They are super round. xD

Thanks everyone. I hope to have an uneventful quarantine too... The PraziPro I got stopped anymore deaths from my tropical fish infestation that killed almost everything. Not sure if it was really the prazi pro or if the worm inactivated itself lol. xD But the tropicals are doing fine now! So here's hoping treatment will help the pearlies.

They're beautiful :) I bought a couple of pearlies for me and my sister a little while ago, but they both passed away in separate quarantine tanks :( I hope you have an uneventful QT, they really are gorgeous :)

Oh wow they really are little ping-pongs!! :o

Congrats on your new additions and wishing you a quiet QT :)

Congrats! They are a couple of cuties. Looking forward to in-tank shots. I wish you the best of luck with them!

They are so adorably cute and round that I just had to laugh! :teehee Good luck with your sweet pearlies :)