Sign in to follow this  
abcdomo

Small heater in big tank question.

I have a 25 or 50 watt heater and I was just curious if it would be able to heat up my 40 gallon breader during the winter. I have a bunch of heaters I got from craigslist and two of them turned out to be vintage, so I'm a bit scared to use them since I'm only home on weekends. I do plan on getting a bigger heater, but I just figured I'd ask.

I have a 25 or 50 watt heater and I was just curious if it would be able to heat up my 40 gallon breader during the winter. I have a bunch of heaters I got from craigslist and two of them turned out to be vintage, so I'm a bit scared to use them since I'm only home on weekends. I do plan on getting a bigger heater, but I just figured I'd ask.

You need at least a 100 watt heater for the 40 gallon. This is one piece of equipment that can be dangerous if it isn't in good condition. I would by a new one :)

I would try it only if you were using it just to take the cold edge off, as in, the house is 68 but you want the tank to be 70. If you are trying to make the temp stay up several degrees, be safe and get a new one.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I just ordered one since it is starting to get cold. I just gotta wait for it to arrive:)