Sign in to follow this  
FishWish

Who keeps GF @ work?

I have a new office at work with tons of extra space and have been toying with the idea of keep GF there. Really, I'm thinking of moving my current fish there. Can you guys help me with the pros and cons of this idea?

At home, our fish are in our office. And, for the last several months I haven't hardly spent any time at all in that room...other than in and out for feedings and maintanence. My husband primarily uses it...but I feel like the fish are being ignored. I can't move them into our living room/den or common areas because I'm afraid our young children would pull on the tank, etc. And, at home I'm constantly busy, and don't really have time to enjoy my fish. :(

My office is 5 minutes from our house, and I have access to the office anytime. The biggest issues I can see are holiday arrangements, and having to go to the office at random times for various maintanence issues.

For those who don't know me, I'm expecting a baby around the end of November...so IF this happens it wouldn't be until I was back at work after maternity leave.

Thoughts?? :idont

Do you own the office? If not, my first thought would be that the employer might have a problem with the water usage.

I would keep them at home.

I keep my fish near where i work. And they produce offsping, to double the question.....

If you do keep in your office, you'll want to make sure that the cleaning service crew does not wipe down the tank walls with anything or spray anything near the tank.

I work at home in my office. I would love to have my tanks close to where I work, but we don't keep this portion of the house heated at night during the cold months.

There are goldfish at work but they are not my fish. I came into an already established situation and have been slowly changing it. I do maintenance weekly and there is another lady who does it though I don't know her schedule.

I work at a care home and these fish are for the benefit of the residents which many do enjoy.

I would not bring my fish into work but if a set up was requested I would help start one up but separate to my system. :)

I keep my main tank at work.

It is great for these reasons:

-Reduces stress.

-I can feed little amounts through the day.

-My own business, so I can write off the whole expense.

-The weekends is no big if they don't eat...keep a veggie clip :idont

I really enjoy it at work :)

Edited by Mr. Hyde

Is there anywhere to put it that would be safe from little kids in the waiting area, Erin? :lol2

I have a small tank at work, but I currently only have one african cichlid in there. I like it. We close down for the holidays from Christmas until after the new year. He makes it just fine. I make sure I really fatten him up and grow algae for him to graze on when we are closed. He lived through the week long power outage at work from Sandy. I never expected to see him alive when I returned.

Anything tippy can and should be attached to the wall in a house with young children. When I got goldfish, my son was 4 (a very into-everything 4!) And attaching the tank stand to the wall was a MUST! :yikes

Thanks so much for all of the replies!

Do you own the office? If not, my first thought would be that the employer might have a problem with the water usage.

This is the big one that I didn't think about! :doh11: I don't pay a portion of the utilities so this could be an issue. That along with some sort of tragic tank leak are my two biggest concerns right now. I think this might keep me from doing this.

Hinfin, mine also have spawned in the spring time, and subsequently I raised fry. I would not want to worry about this at the office. :doh11:

I keep my main tank at work.

It is great for these reasons:

-Reduces stress.

-I can feed little amounts through the day.

-My own business, so I can write off the whole expense.

-The weekends is no big if they don't eat...keep a veggie clip :idont

I really enjoy it at work :)

See…this is exactly what I was thinking! Fun, stress reliever, something to do when not crazy busy. I love this part of it!

Is there anywhere to put it that would be safe from little kids in the waiting area, Erin? :lol2

It would be so cool to have a tank in the waiting area, but I would be scared to do it. You should see how out of control some of the kids are out in the waiting room. We are lucky they don't burn the place down. :teehee Plus, it would definitely make maintenance have to be done after hours. Where as, in my private office space I could do it if I had a spare 30 min here or there.

I have a small tank at work, but I currently only have one african cichlid in there. I like it. We close down for the holidays from Christmas until after the new year. He makes it just fine. I make sure I really fatten him up and grow algae for him to graze on when we are closed. He lived through the week long power outage at work from Sandy. I never expected to see him alive when I returned.

Rob, this might be the ticket if I decide I just want a small tank at work. I think I could go with a 5g tank and put something in it besides GF, and it wouldn't be an issue with the water bill. It could just sit on my desk and keep me company. I know nothing about any other fishes besides goldies. What would be a good choice for a very small tank??

Anything tippy can and should be attached to the wall in a house with young children. When I got goldfish, my son was 4 (a very into-everything 4!) And attaching the tank stand to the wall was a MUST! :yikes

Yes, yes, yes! :thumb: Our 29g is secured to the wall in our office at home. But even with anchorage I wouldn't trust it in our den/family room. We have a 6 year old that loves to climb..a 3 year old that copies the 6…and a new baby on the way. Maybe if I had a 40 g breeder that seemed more stable (shorter with a broader footprint) I would feel safer. But, our 29g feels like the Sears Tower that could turn into the leaning tower of Pisa. :yikes

I think I'm leaning now towards leaving them at home, and maybe getting something to put in my tiny 5g tank. :idont Also, it would be cool to find something super sturdy and get the fish moved into our den.

Edited by FishWish

You need to stop providing matches to the children in your waiting area. :yikes

:rofl3

You could do a dwarf puffer or a betta in a 5 gallon. :D

Hinfin, mine also have spawned in the spring time, and subsequently I raised fry. I would not want to worry about this at the office. :doh11:

Yes, a good point, i did raise the fry at home for a couple of months, then moved to the pond near work. Its not far though so it isnt much of a problem to check when the need arises.

I must admit i'm a bit selfish though, i dont like worrying too much about my fish, kind of spoils the hobby if i have to worry all the time so i just don't and see what happens. Maybe this sounds too easy but i have a good husbandry routine i know works well for the fish, and because of this its not often i encounter problems.

Edited by Hinfin

You need to stop providing matches to the children in your waiting area. :yikes

:rofl3

You could do a dwarf puffer or a betta in a 5 gallon. :D

:rofl :rofl

Betta was all I knew. Need to look up dwarf puffer…are they cute?!? :teehee

Jess recently set up a DP tank. Check out the tropical section. I would guess it's in there. :D

They are cute. And they are tiny. :nana

A betta with cherry shrimp is a fun and easy combination. Shrimp are active and interesting. :)

When I worked at a Clinic I had a betta at work... Now that I work at home Well I got the pond here :rofl

They used to have two goldfish in the reception at work before I worked there. They apparently rehomed them due to the fact they didn't have the time for them. I'd love fish there but I work with a group of clumsy blokes and a load of computers. :hide:

Pros:

...Fish!

Cons:

Clumsy people and maintenance!

My Doctors office used to have what looked like a 60g tank set up in the waiting room. It was tropical fish. For the most part I think it wasn't being taken care of properly. The office has since moved to a new location with no aquarium. My Vet office where I take my dog has a 29g. tank set up that's always neat to look at while waiting. I think it's kind of neat to see tanks at offices as long as they are being properly taken care of.

I like the suggestions that were given to you as in having shrimp or a betta or even a little cute dwarf puffer. How cute those all would be if you don't do your gf tank.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I was thinking a dwarf puffer for my 5G, but I thought I read they need at least a 10 (if not 20?!) :hmm

I was thinking a dwarf puffer for my 5G, but I thought I read they need at least a 10 (if not 20?!) :hmm

dwarf puffers are fine in 5 gals its green spotted puffers which need 20-30 gals

dwarf puffers are fine in 5 gals its green spotted puffers which need 20-30 gals

Thanks for clarifying that!

Ha ha! They ARE cute!!

DwarfPufferfish3_zps07476afa.jpg

i think I am in love!! :wub: