Question on fishless tank cycling

Cdionne77

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my nitrates are going up... That's at least a change then where I was before :teehee

My nitrites are just so high, but I must say this, it takes a minute before the test goes completely purple. It used to go right to purple before.

Maybe I'm grabbing at straws here :rofl

I'm sure I'll be fine. They will mate, they are just being shy lol. I'm keeping the fish in QT for a few weeks anyway to treat for flukes. Worst case scenario they can stay in a little longer. And this really comes to no shock to me, everything I own is stubborn. Husband, kids, dog, so why not fish tank ha ha ha :)

When did you add the BBs from Aubrey? :idont

Am I the only one who finds it odd that you add 21 g of BS to your tank? :tomuch::rofl3:rofl

Ok, seriously now. :teehee

You will add back baking soda for the amount of water you changed. So if you're doing a 50% WC, add in 10.5 g of BS. How are you doing your WCs? Python? Buckets? With that big of difference in tap and tank, you won't want to change much more than 50% at a time. I don't think the pH changes instantly when you add the BS, right?

PH does change instantly. And I do change with a python

:hmm I guess if it was me, I'd add all the BS to some water and mix it in then add that in as the Python is filling the tank. :idont

I don't think I'm ever moving. :peeka

That's what I normally do anyway even though there are no fish in there. The low KH is what really scares me about fish keeping. Trying to match everything perfectly so my babies don't stress. And if you have great KH water...NEVER I say again NEVER move ha ha ha. If I ever should sell my house. First thing I would bring to a new house is my API kit to determine if I would buy the house...... seriously lol Edited by Cdionne77

Can't wait to see fishy pics :happydance

I hope they get here soon! The suspense is killing me!!!! :) I will definitely post pics in the New Fish Arrival section :)

I was in disbelief that I actually tested it again lol..what im doing now is I added ammonia back in. If its gone by 8:00pm tonight and everything else is still @ 0 can I do 100% wc and add the kids in there with a salinity of .3 to treat them in the 40?

Yay!! Awesome im so excited :) Thank you so much for all your cycling help. You are the queen of cycling :) and Thank you Aubrey for your "bacteria" ha ha ha u guys are the best <3

Well I think I celebrated to early. I got home tested the water and the nitrites are purple again. I tested this morning twice and it was 0 I added 1ppm of ammonia at 8 am so I could make sure the BB's would take care of it by at least 8pm ammonia is at .25 and nitrites are 2-5 and nitrates are at 5-10 auhhhhhhh

Yesterday was my ammonia skip day so maybe it's a cycle bump already? But it's purple so that's quite a I bump. I have no idea why both tests would be light blue and at 0 this morning to purple and at at least 2 ppm now. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation. I guess the kids will have to stay in QT still. I'm doing a 100% WC on the tub now and I'm going to weigh the little piggies

Those naughty BBs :tantrum

They don't want to get married :rofl

They are messing with my head lol... I tested twice this morning and both tests read at 0.... I added ammonia back in to make sure it would still be at 0 and take care of the ammonia put in... I don't know why the nitrite would be at 2 again..... Makes no sense to me Edited by Cdionne77

It's not a solidly established cycle. They are a little shaky in the beginning. That's why we will continue to check ammonia and nitrite frequently once you add the fish. :D

Hang in there. :nana

Ok... Thank goodness my kids were not home when I tested again because I had a trucker mouth lol.... so I can still had them in there after I do a 100% WC? I thought that high levels of nitrite and then adding salt are really bad. ( well I know that high nitrite is bad but I thought with the added salt makes it that much worse) So I would have to do large WC's daily correct?