Question on fishless tank cycling

Cdionne77

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at her picture again and for a strange reason that old theme song came to mind for that windsong perfume. I have no idea where that thought came from LOL!

I looked at her picture again and for a strange reason that old theme song came to mind for that windsong perfume. I have no idea where that thought came from LOL!

Ha ha ha that is too funny :)

I ended up getting her! :nana her and the chu I bought from Raingarden will leave Hawaii on Wed and I'll get them on Friday :D

Or a Hawaiian name :)

I actually looked up an hawiian name for her and I found Lani which means heaven, sky

Love it too :heart

But FOG's name of Windsong is beautiful too :)

Ok Lisa I will be doing a 100% WC today... Results are ammonia 0 ( I skipped dose yesterday) nitrites are still going to 2-5 ppm nitrates are 40.. Yesterday I tested my KH because I wanted a good handle of it so I followed the chart that Alex gave for BS I added 21 grams of BS because my KH was 2 drops (35.8dkh) PH 7.4.. I checked today PH 8.0 KH 7 drops (125.3 dkh) so it's in a good range for GF but I guess higher would be better but for now at least I know how to handle it..... I was using the buff it up from GF connection which is supposed to raise KH and it did nothing. I followed the directions using 1/4 tsp per 20 gal. Checking it after an hour nothing directions said to added the amount again checking it after an hour and nothing.... So BS is they I will be going

I did a 100% WC nitrite still high at 2-5 ppm everything else is the same before WC ammonia 0 so I added 1ppm back in nitrates at 40ppm PH 8.0...Aubrey sent some of her BB's should be here tomorrow. Skipper 5he chu and nameless the Oranda lol won't be here until Friday anyway and they are being QT for a few weeks so hopefully Aubrey's BB's will straighten this out :)

Edited by Cdionne77

I will keep doing what we have planned because it seems to be working. When I test nitrite it does take a while for the water to turn dark purple so that is a good sign, it's just stubborn and wants to drive me mad :madrant

Oh no I got some of Aubrey's BB's that has a reputation :lol: good they can flirt with mine :heart

Ok Lisa here are my stats today. I did a 100% WC yesterday and added 1ppm of ammonia because it was at 0. Today nirites are still 2-5ppm ammonia 0 nitrates are now 40-80ppm. The test color is not quite red but a very dark orange. Thats the only change. Com'on BB's work your magic already :/

And this might be a dumb question :idont . My tap KH is bad so I have to add 21g of BS to get the KH to 6 which is 107 dkh and PH 8.0..... Now I have been doing 100% WC on my 40 and then adding the BS back in, so what do I do when I change out lets say 50 or 80% of the water when I actually have fish in there. Do I just add back in the 21g during the wc or try and calculate of what I took out :idont . I figured I could wait and test to see where the KH is like an hour after but I don't want to shock the fish with drastic changes in KH and PH....My tap PH is 7.4 and Tap KH is 2 which is like 53 dkh..... My brain is fried and im so confused

When did you add the BBs from Aubrey? :idont

Am I the only one who finds it odd that you add 21 g of BS to your tank? :tomuch::rofl3:rofl

Ok, seriously now. :teehee

You will add back baking soda for the amount of water you changed. So if you're doing a 50% WC, add in 10.5 g of BS. How are you doing your WCs? Python? Buckets? With that big of difference in tap and tank, you won't want to change much more than 50% at a time. I don't think the pH changes instantly when you add the BS, right?

:lol: yes sometimes I really feel like it's BS :rofl2 I added the BB's on Tuesday. I figured I should only add what I take out but I wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly while my brain is mush :P

QT tank is set up for my fin babies as they arrive tomorrow. :nana I ended up matching the KH and PH to what they will be in the main tank so they can have a better adjustment. AQ 70 running with air stone and temp heater at 72. They will be in there for a few weeks.. Nervous and excited :yikes:nana