Question on fishless tank cycling

Cdionne77

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Readings today using my glasses :rofl3 . Ammonia 0 Nirtrites back up to 2-5ppm Nitrate 20ppm PH 7.4

I put ammonia back up to 1ppm. I have checked my log yesterday made a month of cycling and nitrites spike is at the two week mark.... Hopefully I am almost there :rockon

I did a 100% WC change last night, wouldn't be able to do it today. Reading this morning were ammonia 0 nitrite still around 2-5ppm nitrate 40ppm PH 7.4 temp 78

I dosed ammonia back to 1ppm.... When I check the nitrites now, they don't immediately go dark purple on the first drop anymore..it actually takes a little bit after shaking the tube. :)

With nitrite going to 2-5 in 24 hours, you probably won't see it drop if you wait several days. In order to see a drop, the BBs would have to process 4-10 ppm or more if you wait more than 2 days. Does that make sense?

You might start to see it drop if you stop adding ammonia for a few days. :idont

If it was me, I'd do a WC tomorrow or Friday mainly cuz I'd want to know when it starts dropping cuz I'm impatient. (And I'd want to get that chu in there. :rofl2 )

Ha ha ha yes I want him in there too!! Ive been on my knees in front of the tank begging for it to hurry up.. ok im gonna do another 100% WC I if I can make time should I do it tonight or try to fit it in tomorrow. Also should I stop adding ammonia for a day?

I skipped the ammonia yesterday and I am currently doing the 100% WC now. When I tested before the WC nitrite was still high but didn't immediately go to dark purple right away it took a minute. But still ended up at 2-5ppm after waiting 5 min

I'm hoping to have both fish soon, but this cycling is making me crazy LOL I will be QT the both for a few weeks before they go into the main tank. Hopefully by then this process will be under control :) I would like to order the oranda by Monday, and they would arrive by Friday and go into QT for a few weeks. Do you think that is a good idea or hold off?

I'm hoping to have both fish soon, but this cycling is making me crazy LOL I will be QT the both for a few weeks before they go into the main tank. Hopefully by then this process will be under control :) I would like to order the oranda by Monday, and they would arrive by Friday and go into QT for a few weeks. Do you think that is a good idea or hold off?

Cool beans! Where are you ordering from :nana

I can send you some BBs too if you want :)

If you're QTing in a different tank, that should be fine. If you're still not cycled by the time their QTS is done I will have to send you some of my BBs. Then they would be in 4 states. :rofl3

:lol:Thank you I appreciate that. Yes I am QTing in a huge sterilite tub. I checked Raingarden's QT and warranty info and he suggests QT for a good 2-4 weeks so :nana Gonna make my decision soon on which oranda. I'll let you know :D

You guys are so awesome :bighug I already ordered a ranchu from Raingarden, and he is waiting for me to choose an oranda :heart

You guys are so awesome :bighug I already ordered a ranchu from Raingarden, and he is waiting for me to choose an oranda :heart

My nitrites are like crazy high and they are having a hard time coming down. Lisa has been a blessing giving me guidance and she having me do large WC's.... These little buggers are driving me nuts.... Mainly because I hate waiting and I have little patience lol... Can't help it when you are dying to finally see cute little wiggle butts in the tank :)

I think all of us are wanting to send you some BBs!!

Lisa really helped me out when i was cycling - at one point i was doing 3 water changes every day to try to keep my nitrites off that dark purple color. :o not fun, so i feel your pain!

I think all of us are wanting to send you some BBs!!

Lisa really helped me out when i was cycling - at one point i was doing 3 water changes every day to try to keep my nitrites off that dark purple color. :o not fun, so i feel your pain!

Well if anyone wants to send me some, I will not say no and I will give $$ I'm desperate lol

Wow! This reminds me of my Quinn :heart

http://www.raingarden.us/1039b.JPG

Who are you leaning toward?

Come on :nana

I'm dying here!

PS. I PMed you :P

I was thinking of #1620 The black female oranda or #1672 or lol # 1705

I'll put a pic or the chu that is on hold for me :)