Question on fishless tank cycling

Cdionne77

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I did a 95% WC added ammonia to 1ppm. For the heck of It i check the nitrites after I filled it and it was 2-5 ppm I'll check it again In 24hrs

Edited by Cdionne77

Ok I had time to do a 100% WC and added ammonia back to 1ppm. I checked nitrites and it was 0... Will this ruin my cycle or did it just help it keep going because nitrites were off the charts... Will check again tomorrow.

Would I ask you to do it if it would ruin your cycle? :bat:

:rofl3 Kidding! :rofl

No, it won't ruin your cycle. The BBs that convert ammonia to nitrite will convert it over so quickly the BBs that convert nitrite to nitrate won't go without food for long. :D It will be just fine. :nana

Please test again in 24 hours. As if you didn't know I'd ask that. :lol2

Ha ha ha no I trust you. It was just scary testing and it was gone lol. I thought about it and i was like duh stupid I'm actually cycling the filters media not the tank dumb dumb. Lol

Ok. So Thursday I ended up switching over to the 40B. I didn't touch the filters at all just added water with Prime and dosed ammonia to 1ppm. On Friday I checked everything and nitrites where off the charts again and ammonia was between .25-.50 and nitrates where 20ppm. I put ammonia back to 1 ppm. Ok so now it's Saturday ammonia back down to .25-.50 nitrites are still off the charts and nitrates are close to 40ppm. It's darker than 20 on the test but not the color red. Should I just leave it alone and wait for ammonia to go to almost 0 then bring it back up?

I would leave it alone tonight then do a HUGE (100% if you want) WC tomorrow then bring the ammonia back up to 1. The reason for the WC is if the nitrite is already off the chart, we will not see when they start decreasing as it would take A LOT of a decrease after it's off the chart for a couple days in a row and adding more ammonia . . .

How long has the nitrite been spiking? :idont

I would leave it alone tonight then do a HUGE (100% if you want) WC tomorrow then bring the ammonia back up to 1. The reason for the WC is if the nitrite is already off the chart, we will not see when they start decreasing as it would take A LOT of a decrease after it's off the chart for a couple days in a row and adding more ammonia . . .

How long has the nitrite been spiking? :idont

The nitrite has been spiking for a little over a week now, every time I do huge or 100% WC it comes back the following day that I check

OK, good. :D It will probably spike for a good 2-3 weeks. I just wanted to be sure it hasn't already been 6 weeks. :rofl3

Hang in there. One day, you'll test it and it will be barely purple and you will :thud

:rofl3

I can't wait to :thud:rofl .....should I still do the 100% WC or just wait

Ok Lisa here we go again :) I did a 100% WC dosed with prime, and ammonia back to 1ppm. I took these tests about 3 or so hours after.

Ammonia .50 nitrites .25 nitrates 20 PH 7.4 temp 78

Before the WC reading where ammonia 0 nitrites 5 nitrates looked around 10-20 PH 7.4 temp 78

Now here is my dilemma lol. I am using the API freshwater master test kit. The tubes show a line of 5ml but if I fill a syringe with 5ml it goes above the line... Should I be using their line on the tube or the syringe?

:o. How far above the line does it go?

I would use their line . . . Are all the lines on all 4 test tubes in the same place?

I would say maybe a half inch or little less over. all the lines are in the same spot

When you measure 5 mL, it goes about a half inch above their line? :o. That's a lot.

Next time use their line. If you're feeling ambitious use their line and measure 5 mL with your syringe and see how different the results are. :peeka