Question on fishless tank cycling

Cdionne77

Ok looks like I'm going to do another large WC.. Ammonia went to 0 nitrites are 5. And nitrates doesn't register a color on the chart after testing it twice, it's a weird brown tan color. So WC then adding ammonia back up

Edited by Cdionne77

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my GH/KH test kit in yesterday and I tested my tap water. I am a little confused on how this test actually works. I get that its the amount of drops you put in but i am unsure of the actual color it is supposed to be... My tap water is KH 3 and GH 5 KH was a pale yellow color and GH is like a mint green. I'll post a pic...but are the colors supposed to be a brighter yellow and a darker green?

i get same results for tank... My PH is usually 7.0-7.4 it fluctuates all the time. trying to keep it stable with baking soda but little confused on how to go about that with my GH/KH results. not sure if its accurate because of the color

Have you started using baking soda?

I'm guessing no if your tap and tank results are the same.

I still can't see the pic. If you add one more drop does it make the colors bright yellow and a darker green. I will test my KH/GH later (my nails are wet :rofl3 ) and see what colors I get . . . .

I got my GH/KH test kit in yesterday and I tested my tap water. I am a little confused on how this test actually works. I get that its the amount of drops you put in but i am unsure of the actual color it is supposed to be... My tap water is KH 3 and GH 5 KH was a pale yellow color and GH is like a mint green. I'll post a pic...but are the colors supposed to be a brighter yellow and a darker green?

The shade of the test results doesn't matter, you're just looking for color change. So for KH you're looking for it to changes from blue to yellow. I notice with lower KH/GH values my colors are pretty light.

I use baking soda in my guppy tank to keep it stable for them. I keep their tank at 7.5 by adding a few pinches of bs at every water change and seems to stay pretty stable at 7.5

**7.4 PH for guppies...I meant... Just looked at my WC notes for them

Edited by Cdionne77

The shade of the test results doesn't matter, you're just looking for color change. So for KH you're looking for it to changes from blue to yellow. I notice with lower KH/GH values my colors are pretty light.

ok that makes sense then my GH went to green on the first drop and my KH is at 4 then

last WC was Friday. It was a 90% wc and ammonia was .25 Nitrite 5.0 and nitrate 20ppm High Range PH looked like 7.4 color was just a bit lighter than chart color...i tested the other bottle of ph and it went to a bright blue of 7.6 so I was estimating my PH with the high range results

the first WC I did was on Wed I tested the water beforehand and the PH was 7.0... after wc was 7.4 I am guessing im going to need a good buffer at every WC because my PH is screwy :wall I am just afraid to alter the PH when I actually have fish in their to keep it stable. But if it happens to drop would't the drastic changes stress them out and cause problems... So far the guppies seems to do fine with the pinch of BS i put in the tank after every WC...I need a good handle on it before any fish are in the tank

Tap PH is 7.4 ... I'm thinking that maybe the high levels of Nitrite Nitrate and ammonia in the cycling tank have something to do with the ph dropping?

When I tested this morning The ammonia 0 Nitrite 5.0ppm Nitrate 10ppm High PH looked like 7.4 but was a little lighter color then the chart color....I was thinking of a more natural buffer like crushed coral in a media bag in the filter.

Ammonia was added back up after testing

Edited by Cdionne77

Thinking crushed coral as messing with baking soda of other buffers will give me more room for error since I am not experienced

Edited by Cdionne77

I don't know a lot about crushed coral other than you need quite a bit to make a difference and I think it takes a while to work . . . . not instant like baking soda. If you'd like to try it, certainly do so I just can't help much. You'll need at least 1/2 cup per 20 gallons and I'm not sure how much that will increase your KH. Koko used it at one point but she used it as her substrate (or mixed with other substrate :idont ). Also it needs to be replaced every 4-6 months.

Thank you. I'm learning but it seems a little bit stressful at times. When I think I got the cycling down to a good knowledge then comes the scariness of PH stability. I'll get there eventually I just don't want to hurt or kill anything when I finally get fish. Trying to figure everything out all at once now before I get them :)

Ok. I've been testing everyday and I get same results. Ammonia 0 nitrites are off the charts turns purple on first drop. Nitrates 10-20ppm ph 7.4. I added ammonia back up to 1ppm as an experiment I tested again 6 hours later it was almost gone. Should I do another large WC