Question on fishless tank cycling

Cdionne77

Hi everyone, I am on my second week of my cycle process and the other day my ammonia went from 4.0ppm to 2.0ppm but I still have 0 nitrites. I tested again today same thing. I'm using the API liquid test kit..I thought I would have seen some nitrites as of now considering my ammonia dropped. Maybe it hasn't dropped enough I'm thinking. Here is the rest of my stats starting with my tap water . Ammonia 0 ppm nitrites 0 ppm nitrates 5ppm PH 7.4... I have same stats now with my cycling water now except ammonia started a 4.0ppm now 2.0ppm... I used pure ammonia to start in my tank water with Prime to condition.

Tank temp is 83 degrees. Two filters Aqua clear 70 and aqua clear 30, and air stone. I don't have a GH/KH tester yet as it's on order. I also have one of those 20 gallon rated corner biological filters... My tank is a 37 gallon

Sorry if this is long winded just trying to give as much info as possible....Anyway is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take the temp down a bit. Try maybe 78f. Just to note: x ammonia doesn't equal x nitrite. In this thread I would like you to mark the pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate daily. Just try to do it at the same time. Since the ammonia is going down maybe just dose to 2ppm now. :)

I would take the temp down a bit. Try maybe 78f. Just to note: x ammonia doesn't equal x nitrite. In this thread I would like you to mark the pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate daily. Just try to do it at the same time. Since the ammonia is going down maybe just dose to 2ppm now. :)

Thank you, I will do that

Nitrites? Nitrate? KH? pH?

:rofl3

My GH/KH tester is on order so I don't have that but my Nitrites are 0 Nitrates are 5ppm and PH 7.4 my tap water is nitrites 0 PH 7.4 and nitrates 5ppm

Now I wait until my ammonia drops to 0 then add back to 2ppm correct... Because now the nitrites have to convert to nitrates? I'll be more patient this time

I also read the thread on PH and Hardness. My PH is at 7.4 should I bump it up a bit with baking soda( I also read that thread to on how to do it) or should I just leave it alone?

Yep, wait for your ammonia to drop. If you test it and it's around 0.50 or lower, go ahead and add more.

I wouldn't mess with your pH if it's stable at 7.4. Do you know your KH? :idont

I don't know the KH yet. I ordered the GH/KH liquid test should be coming in soon

Today's results are ammonia . 25 nitrites is between a 2.0 and 5.0 hard to judge its so close to both colors on chart. Nitrate is 20ppm temp 78 PH 7.4... Heading into work now but I read on Tithras cycling thread that maybe should be doing a large water change if Nitrites get to this point and add ammonia back in as it can stall the cycle. Not sure or I might just give it another day wait on the ammonia to go lower idk. Ok. I'm off to work and doing the cycling waiting dance :)

I'd do a WC mainly because the nitrites will continue to rise and it will be so hard to tell exactly how high they are and when they start to drop. So, yes, when you get the chance do a nice big WC 75%+ and add ammonia back. Test again tomorrow. :D

You're getting there! :nana

Ok so yesterday I did a 80% WC and added ammonia back up to 1ppm. I tested again today. Ammonia .50 ...nitrites looks like it went back up to 2-5ppm nitrates are at 20ppm temp 78 PH 7.4.... I'm a little confused on how nitrites are still so high considering I did a large WC. Should I just add ammonia back up to 1ppm and leave it alone?

Edited by Cdionne77

Once you get nitrite, they spike high and for a while, then all of a sudden they are gone. :o

Sure, add a titch more ammonia (or leave it at 0.5 whichever you prefer) and speck again tomorrow. At that point I would do another huge (90-95%) WC and test to see where the nitrite is . . .