Bandit: bottom-sitting and clamping

Kat_M

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys :( I am at work now but cannot stop thinking about this little guy. I checked parameters before I left and it's all fine. I just don't get it.

That is strange. Let's see how he is when you get home. If he is bottom sitting, it might be informative to move him back to the QT and see if he perks up. How are the other fish in the main tank?

That's the thing, Jared - the rest of the gang is acting just fine. Lulu developed dropsy but she was in a separate tank so I don't think this counts.

I will try to take a longer video of Bandit when I return because he acts really strangely. He darts to the surface grab some air and then quickly lays down on the bottom ( sometimes it looks like something is pooling him down). He never sat in QT, even for a moment!

That's the thing, Jared - the rest of the gang is acting just fine. Lulu developed dropsy but she was in a separate tank so I don't think this counts.

I will try to take a longer video of Bandit when I return because he acts really strangely. He darts to the surface grab some air and then quickly lays down on the bottom ( sometimes it looks like something is pooling him down). He never sat in QT, even for a moment!

What is the depth of the main tank versus the QT? What about temperature?

Qt is about half the depth of the main tank; the temp in qt was 21.5C while main is set at 20C.

Okay, the temp isn't a factor, then. If he's having a swim bladder issue, the depth "could" be a factor.

This is what I am worried about. Bandit's sibling do have issues with SB. Lulu was a sitter then turned into a floater. Suzi is on/off floater. I will be gutted if Bandit turns out to be affected too.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have a problem with Bandit again. It makes it all worse that I am not physically with him right now so I can only relay on Skype and my mums reports.

Water: -

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 15 ppm

Ph 8

Behaviour: He is on/off bottom sitting but excited when someone get close to the tank. He is hungry but keep spitting up his food. It started about 4 days ago. He finished his course of MMs on Sunday (30 days). When I was watching him on Skype I have noticed that he is clamping when he swims. He does this weird thing: swims quickly to the surface gets air, then goes down and blows bubbles.

I have only completed two rounds of Prazi with him. I just don't know what's wrong with him :(

Fish often show signs of irritation during round 2 of Prazi.  He also just went through the stress of a big move.  Remind me why he was on MMs for 30 days rather than 14?  Keep observing for any signs that he is declining.

Hi Jared - he was on MMs for 30 days because he hasn't fully recovered when he approached 14th day of treatment. Only around day 20th he seemed to be back to normal.

I really don't like the way he acts. He is bottom sitting, has hard time swimming, he eats but a lot of it is spitter out, his tail is ripped in couple of places and red veins are prominent again.

Two other fish are pouty, too, but no one is as severely affected as him.

It will get better. He'd barely recovered when you moved with him. That's a lot of stress. I'm sure now that they are at the it new home and with your parents tender care you'll get him right back to being his perky little self.

Big red is doing ok. She's acting normal but doesn't look herself yet. And no poop.

Poor girl! Fingers crossed she recovers quickly!

My parents are doing the best. Within these past weeks they learnt which behaviours are normal and which are not. They noticed deterioration in Bandits health and called me immediately. I got back home yesterday and noticed few more things. I need to have an action plan in place as I will be leaving in two days time :(

• 2 weeks later...

I am slowly loosing hope with Bandit. I just watched him on Skype and he is not doing well. Last week I started him on Medigold as he started deteriorating rapidly - almost no control over swimming, sinking, spitting out all the food, bloody tail, clamping. He started looking much better 48 hrs after first dose of Medigold. Today is Day 7 and he is getting worse again. This is also 3rd round of Prazi.

I am slowly loosing hope with Bandit. I just watched him on Skype and he is not doing well. Last week I started him on Medigold as he started deteriorating rapidly - almost no control over swimming, sinking, spitting out all the food, bloody tail, clamping. He started looking much better 48 hrs after first dose of Medigold. Today is Day 7 and he is getting worse again. This is also 3rd round of Prazi.

Kat,

I think it might be a good idea to start a new thread for Bandit. I would also fill out a new form with his current information as the one listed in this thread was from before you moved.