New filters are so loud!

andry6

Wow! I just got my two aqueon 55/75 filters today and finally got my new 75 gallon up and running.

The only problem is that the sound of the water inside the filters is going to drive me nuts! :krazy: It sounds like a fountain is in my living room! The filter motors are quiet but the water flow inside makes so much noise!! (Very powerful filters that's for sure.)

Does this sound bother anyone else? I could handle the sound from one filter, maybe, but the two running together is going to be a problem, I can see it...and there's probably nothing I can do to muffle the sound either, is there?

If the noise is coming from inside the filter, you could have quite a bit of air trapped in there. I have a very powerful filter (Fluval FX6 canister), but I can hardly hear it as it has this great feature on it where it automatically stops for one minute every 12 hrs to expel any air within it. It can make you jump if you're not expecting it though :teehee

Maybe you could try filling it with more filter media or making sure that it's filled with the right amount of water before you switch it on (if it's a canister).

If the noise is coming from the outflow you could just reposition the outflow nozzles.

Good luck with the new tank and your cycle :D

And make sure to post lots of pictures!

I have them and they're silent for me, except the noise of the water exiting the filter. (That's easily dimmed by raising the water level.)

As for air inside the filter, I also would say 'Stuff them' full of media. Also, let them run for a time. As soon as they have time to build a biofilm, they usually stop making noise around the inflow aerator. (The little thing inside the filter you put a tiny lid on.)

My Aqueon is my loudest filter. I agree that the noise from the water inside is enough to drive you insane if you concentrate on it. I put filter floss across the top on the left hand side where the water enters the chamber. That quiets it down a lot and I have eventually gotten used to the residual noise. The motor itself is silent, but that water noise almost made me send it back.

Edited by HomerJay

Thought I should add that mine is quiet. (always has been, but I also stuffed it from the beginning) ;)

Also, unlike my AquaClear, when the power goes out, the Aqueon starts right back up without any priming.

Edited by TikiLola

I have 4 of these and they are all loud when new. I can tell you exactly what will quiet it down... Your filter media needs to become more dirty so it flows more slowly. What this will do is raise the water level in the filter, and the noise of the water flowing up into the filter will disappear. Happens every time.

I have 4 of these and they are all loud when new. I can tell you exactly what will quiet it down... Your filter media needs to become more dirty so it flows more slowly. What this will do is raise the water level in the filter, and the noise of the water flowing up into the filter will disappear. Happens every time.

I have two of the Aqueon 30s on my 29 gallon tank and I love them. So quiet, you only really hear a very faint humming coming from the motors. As soon as I'm done treating my guys with prazi they are going in the big tank, I'm moving the old media to the new filters, adding a little more and hopefully that will help!

I'm sorry your having problems with these filters. I used to have one (55/75) and I don't recall it ever making such a loud noise when I used to use those cartridges back before Koko's and then switching to stuffing with A/C sponges & ceramic balls. Hopefully once you stuff yours you won't hear anything either. I used to love my aqueon but it started leaking over a year of having it so I switched over to the big 110AC.

• 1 month later...

Updated to say...You were right! Much quieter now. I hardly notice them anymore. :)