What do you think of this goldfish food?

Fish Of Gold

I wrote down the name of this goldfish food when I seen it in 2 different pet stores last month and wondered if anyone tried it or if you think it is a good food to try....

Ingredients:

Whole Anchovy Meal, Whole Shrimp Meal, Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour,Fish Oil, Squid Meal, Yeast, Red Algae, Spirulina, Astaxanthin, Calcium Propionate, Rice Bran, Proteinase Enzyme,Garlic, Brine Shrimp, L-ascorbyl-2polyphosphate ©, Vitamin A, Acetate, Choline Cloride, a-Tocopheryl Acetate(E),Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Biotin, Pyridoxine HCI, Folic Acid,D-Actived Animal Sterol (D3),Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin k3 Supplement, Inositol, Calcium Lodate, Calcium biphosphate, Cuprum Sulphurium, Sodium Selentie, Cobalt Chloride, Feerous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate.

Guaranteed Analysis:

MIN. CRUDE PROTEIN 38% MIN. CRUDE FAT 6% MAX. CRUDE FIBER 3% MAX. ASH 11% MAX. MOISTURE 10%

081997012597C.jpg

I don't really like the third and fourth ingredients, but overall it seems okay. I also wonder why there's epsom in it. Having fillers that high on the list just doesn't sit that well with me.

Edited by ChelseaM

I would not use this because of the soy meal and wheat flour being so close to the beginning of the list. I'd prefer it be much later (if at all) and that the wheat flour be whole wheat flour.

I think the crude protein content is on the low side for goldfish. I could be wrong.

I don't really like the third and fourth ingredients, but overall it seems okay. I also wonder why there's epsom in it. Having fillers that high on the list just doesn't sit that well with me.

I would not use this because of the soy meal and wheat flour being so close to the beginning of the list. I'd prefer it be much later (if at all) and that the wheat flour be whole wheat flour.

I think the crude protein content is on the low side for goldfish. I could be wrong.

This made me start thinking of what I feed them now which is Omega One pellets. I looked it up and there are two wheat ingredients close to the beginning of the list also. Plus the Protein is 33% compared to 38% in the elive brand. So is Omega One not a good choice either?

Omega One Goldfish Pellets:

Ingredients:

Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min) 33%, crude fat (min) 8%, crude fiber (max) 2%, moisture (max) 8.5%, ash (max) 8%, phosphorus (min) .5%, omega 3 (min) 1%, omega 6 (min) .5%.

This made me start thinking of what I feed them now which is Omega One pellets. I looked it up and there are two wheat ingredients close to the beginning of the list also. Plus the Protein is 33% compared to 38% in the elive brand. So is Omega One not a good choice either?

Omega One Goldfish Pellets:

Ingredients:

Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min) 33%, crude fat (min) 8%, crude fiber (max) 2%, moisture (max) 8.5%, ash (max) 8%, phosphorus (min) .5%, omega 3 (min) 1%, omega 6 (min) .5%.

I think the Omega One is better as the filler is the fourth rather than the third ingredient and it is not soy. However, I think New Life Spectrum is better than either of these two foods.

Before we start talking about percentages of protein can we remember that goldfish do best when fed a variety. You can always supplement protein with homemade gel food, brine shrimp or other options. Same with adding vitamins or anything else you think is lacking in a food staple. The same goes for the roughage that veggies provide. :)

I agree with Una, and I supplement with frozen blood worms and Repashy Super Green. I just prefer to use foods that contain things that Goldfish would find in their natural environment and minimize things that they would not such as soy and wheat :)

Yes those are all good points :) I do supplement with Blood Worms, Brine Shrimp, and shelled Peas. I do not feed the Omega One flakes anymore. I bought them when I bought the Omega One pellets for variety. So I guess I can pick another pretty good pellet brand to use with the Omega One pellets? Maybe a different food at each meal perhaps? Still thinking of getting some Repashy but always run out of money after trying to still get all the stuff I need for my Goldfish seeing I am still just starting out. Plus bills, gas money, vehicle insurance, and blah blah blah......You know how it goes sometimes LOL!

Folks those ingredients are carbohydrates and are part of a balanced diet. You can't feed fish 100% protein.

Jason, they're not healthy carbs. You could just as easily get great carbs from feeding natural fish foods like algaes and seaweed. Fillers are not healthy, especially when they are so high on an ingredient list (Closer to 1st, more in the mix) of a food.

It does not matter how close it is to the top. Hikari gold has 32% protein and the second, third, and fourth ingredient are all carbs. Percentage is more important than how close to the top of the list something is. In hikari lionhead the second ingredient is wheat flower. Same with hikari oranda gold. Soybean is also top 4 or 5 and beans are a good source of protein

It does not matter how close it is to the top. Hikari gold has 32% protein and the second, third, and fourth ingredient are all carbs. Percentage is more important than how close to the top of the list something is. In hikari lionhead the second ingredient is wheat flower. Same with hikari oranda gold. Soybean is also top 4 or 5 and beans are a good source of protein

The type of protein or carb should always be considered. Some are digested and used in the body easier than others. Seeing as fish will not usually eat soy or wheat in a natural environment they are a bit unnatural to their diet.

The order of the ingredients is important in that the higher on the list the more of that product is in the food. So if the first ingredient is whole anchovy meal then the product has mostly that, then the second highest ingredient, then the third etc. What Chelsea is saying is it would be preferred if the foods ingredients had soy and wheat products lower on the list and maybe have more algae or seaweed or water based plants. I'm not saying that soy and wheat are the worst ingredients ever but it is something to think about.

Percentages are good to get the break down of how much protein, fat, etc. is in the food but this should be combined with the information you can get from the ingredients that are in it.