First attempt at hand spawning

*Amanda*

So today I watched several videos on hand spawning and read about it in Fancy Goldfish. I decided to try it because my female veiltail is very full of eggs, the rain came and went, and my male hasn't attempted to breed her - he just wants to cuddle with her! :rofl

I took a small Sterilite container and filled it with tank water. I got Gordo and milked him in the container. I then got Panache and she released eggs immediately. I swirled plenty, and also milked Gordo again after Panache released the eggs for good measure. My only concern is that Gordo did not produce very much milt, so not sure what is going on there. From what I understand, the water is supposed to become cloudy. It did not, although I did see some being released from his vent. His breeding stars are still really apparent. The container is floating in the main tank.

I will post a pic of the eggs in a second; something is going on with Tapatalk and I cannot start a new topic in this subforum, so I will have to reply from my phone with the pic.

Wish me luck!

:rofl Blimp likes to cuddle Betty, too.

Good luck! I knoweth not a thing about hand spawning, but it sounds to me like it should produce something! :D

I hope so, too. In the videos I watched though, the males produced an insane amount of milt. I don't know if it was the way I was squeezing him or what, but Gordo just shot a small amount out here and there. I didn't want to hurt him, so I didn't squeeze harder.

With smaller fish, it's definitely best to not squeeze too hard if you haven't done it before so you get the hang of doing it . Last thing you want to do is injure him internally. If you did see some milt, that's a good sign! I'd say give the eggs a few days and see if you start noticing some eyes. :heart If not, you can always try again.

Best of luck! Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out and you end up with a couple of little ones. :bighug

Edited by Chai

With smaller fish, it's definitely best to not squeeze too hard if you haven't done it before so you get the hang of doing it . Last thing you want to do is injure him internally. If you did see some milt, that's a good sign! I'd say give the eggs a few days and see if you start noticing some eyes. :heart If not, you can always try again.

Best of luck! Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out and you end up with a couple of little ones. :bighug

Gordo is a pretty big fish. He's fat (like most of the DO telescopes), hence his name. :rofl

I think I see polar bodies in some of the eggs, but it's hard to tell for sure. I did the last couple of times too, but I think moving them into a new environment prevented them from hatching. So this time I will leave the tub floating in the tank to keep the temperature stable. :)

Awesome. I was just gonna ask where the eggs are! Keep us posted!!

In the mean time... Can you post pics of the parents? :teehee i remember what Panache looks like :heart but not Gordo :peeka

Looks great! Youve done very well!

You think the female is empty now? Might be worth to check after a few days, its best no eggs are left after spawning. Her belly will also become hard again if she is done by the way.

How were they after handspawning? Mine were not tired or stressed from handspawning but i would like to have your input. I know i was very stressed and tired though!

Good luck, will be great! :clapping:

You think the female is empty now? Might be worth to check after a few days, its best no eggs are left after spawning. Her belly will also become hard again if she is done by the way.

How were they after handspawning? Mine were not tired or stressed from handspawning but i would like to have your input. I know i was very stressed and tired though!

Thanks! I *think* she is empty now, but am not sure. She only released eggs once during hand spawning (I tried a couple more times but no more came out), and last week she released a bunch just from me picking her up. I was hoping that would push Gordo to breed her, but he never attempted to, which is why I hand spawned. He has a cataract in one eye and I'm not sure he chases very well because their eggs haven't hatched from previous spawns - but I haven't been around to see the spawning; just seen eggs in the tank when I come home from work. They must do it in the afternoon - definitely not at dawn like others have said they should, or I would have seen it. Then again, their light comes on at 2 p.m. so maybe it is "dawn" for them. [emoji4]

Thanks for the tip; I will check in a few days to make sure she doesn't need to release any more eggs.

Panache was completely unaffected by the hand spawning. When I picked Gordo up the first time, I pressed more to the side rather than in the center, and when I released him he bottom sat and flared his gills at me for about 20 seconds before resuming normal behavior. When I did it correctly later on, he swam off as usual after I released him back into the tank, like nothing had happened. [emoji4]

By the way, my family thinks I'm nuts for doing this. :rofl

Thanks! I *think* she is empty now, but am not sure. She only released eggs once during hand spawning (I tried a couple more times but no more came out), and last week she released a bunch just from me picking her up. I was hoping that would push Gordo to breed her, but he never attempted to, which is why I hand spawned. He has a cataract in one eye and I'm not sure he chases very well because their eggs haven't hatched from previous spawns - but I haven't been around to see the spawning; just seen eggs in the tank when I come home from work. They must do it in the afternoon - definitely not at dawn like others have said they should, or I would have seen it. Then again, their light comes on at 2 p.m. so maybe it is "dawn" for them. [emoji4]

Thanks for the tip; I will check in a few days to make sure she doesn't need to release any more eggs.

Panache was completely unaffected by the hand spawning. When I picked Gordo up the first time, I pressed more to the side rather than in the center, and when I released him he bottom sat and flared his gills at me for about 20 seconds before resuming normal behavior. When I did it correctly later on, he swam off as usual after I released him back into the tank, like nothing had happened. [emoji4]

By the way, my family thinks I'm nuts for doing this. :rofl

Edit: Sorry about the double post ... Tapatalk is acting loony again. It keeps saying "failed to connect to forum." [emoji53]

Edited by *Amanda*

Your a brave soul to hand spawn Amanda. I'd be afraid of hurting/damaging something internally.

But wow! Look what you did! Congratulations. I hope you are able to get some fry.

I was too - in theory it sounds terrifying! However, someone (I can't remember who) said to use no more pressure than you would feel comfortable putting on your own eye, or as much pressure as it takes to lift your left thumb with your right thumb and index finger. With Panache, I didn't even have to use any pressure at all - the eggs just came spilling out as she thrashed when I was holding her in the water! I would say that if the eggs don't come out VERY easily, to stop right there as that would indicate she isn't ready.

I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was, but it was still scary since I wasn't 100% sure what to expect with my fish. [emoji4]

I see specks with eyes in there :D

Yay! I was hoping it wasn't just wishful thinking on my part. [emoji1]

I placed an order this morning with Brine Shrimp Direct for brine shrimp eggs (encapsulated and decapsulated, to see which work better) and some rigid airline tubing. I'm going to try to build my own hatchery. Last time I bought the San Francisco Bay hatchery, but it didn't work consistently. From what I've read, that probably has to do with the fact that it doesn't use airline tubing, and the pre-salted eggs have a very low hatch rate. Someone did a test and found its hatch rate was only about 2%. So, I'm going to build my own. [emoji4]

Some sources are saying an office lamp is necessary for the hatchery - is this true? I'd rather not buy one just for this, but will if I have to.

Your a brave soul to hand spawn Amanda. I'd be afraid of hurting/damaging something internally.

But wow! Look what you did! Congratulations. I hope you are able to get some fry.

I was too - in theory it sounds terrifying! However, someone (I can't remember who) said to use no more pressure than you would feel comfortable putting on your own eye, or as much pressure as it takes to lift your left thumb with your right thumb and index finger. With Panache, I didn't even have to use any pressure at all - the eggs just came spilling out as she thrashed when I was holding her in the water! I would say that if the eggs don't come out VERY easily, to stop right there as that would indicate she isn't ready.

I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was, but it was still scary since I wasn't 100% sure what to expect with my fish. [emoji4]

How interesting. Thanks for explaining. I do hope you get some fry out of these.

The BBS will need to be in the (is it?) 75ish degree range or maybe even a titch warmer to get a good hatch. Then you use a lamp to separate them from the shells once they are hatched. The shells will float so you point the light towards the bottom of the hatchery and they swim down to the light. :D

Good luck!

I was hoping that would push Gordo to breed her, but he never attempted to, which is why I hand spawned.

With my ranchu the big and slow ranchu wont chase, probably because they are big and slow and my females are not ..... :blink:

I used smaller and more active males to get the females ready then handspawned the large slow males, worked perfectly.

Also, if you handspawn you can choose the parent fish, at least if you have multiple couples, a good skill to master!

You have everything ready to hatch BBS etc?

I ordered the cysts online, but still have to get a lamp and soda bottles - no eggs have hatched yet but I can see eyes/bodies. I hope to get the shipment in the next couple of days so that I can be ready. [emoji4]