Hardy Goldfish

Bertha

I was thinking of starting a new tank upstairs. I love the sound of the water in a tank at night, but would not be around the location a great deal during the day.

From that point of view, I was asking aobut the 'hardier' goldfish....meaning the fish that may not require speical attention. In general, I suppose I should say the fish with the fewest health problems in general. I like the look of the long-tailed fancies, but wonder about whether they require extra care or are more prone to helath issues?

I have a good test kit and am familiar with maintaining a tank, but relatively inexperienced with goldfish.

Fancies are more prone to health issues but it's not like they commonly have health problems. Look at it this way... The less a fancy looks like an actual goldfish, the more mutated it has become, and the more likely it is to have problems.

We have had a redcap for years now (the one in the signature) who receives no special care other than large water changes once a week. Really the less stocked you are (fewer fish in more water = less trouble), the easier all goldfish are.

Thanks everyone..as usual, terrific replies and help!

I'm planning on only one fish. I love the comment about the less a fancy looks like a 'goldfish'...that will help when I'm buying!

Actually this is a very interesting topic, and i agree with motherredcap. 'Fancier' goldfish do have headgrowth for example, often have a deep/short body and more delicate finnage, problems that occur with these will not happen with commons. Shortail Ryukin is also considered to be hardy, but are prone to specific problems with their swimbladder.

Considering that 'fancier' varieties can be just as healthy it may just be they demand different keeping methods.

When writing this i am thinking about an older woman who i met once, she had an oranda in a small 2liter bowl on the kitchen table, she had it for 10 years! Never forgot to daily WC the bowl 100%.

Maybe fancies are just a little more demanding to keep, but hardy they CAN be just as much as a common if you ask me.

I think that either single tails or the classic simple fantails are the most hardy. The other breeds of fancies tend to have more problems. :)

Actually this is a very interesting topic, and i agree with motherredcap. 'Fancier' goldfish do have headgrowth for example, often have a deep/short body and more delicate finnage, problems that occur with these will not happen with commons. Shortail Ryukin is also considered to be hardy, but are prone to specific problems with their swimbladder.

Considering that 'fancier' varieties can be just as healthy it may just be they demand different keeping methods.

When writing this i am thinking about an older woman who i met once, she had an oranda in a small 2liter bowl on the kitchen table, she had it for 10 years! Never forgot to daily WC the bowl 100%.

Maybe fancies are just a little more demanding to keep, but hardy they CAN be just as much as a common if you ask me.

I have a friend who did this too, and the fish lived for 6 years. She is in her 60s and said that's just the way she always thought goldfish were kept, and never knew any different. She was meticulous about daily water changes (she actually used two bowls and swapped them back and forth). Now she wants a pond for her patio, after working at a Buddhist retreat center up in the mountains here with beautiful goldfish ponds and seeing how big they can get. :)

And yes, I've heard that the short/deep body may make the fish more prone to swim bladder problems ... but that's not to say it will happen. There are also more streamlined fancies (such as some Orandas and telescopes). I have only kept fancies and had two that had swim bladder problems, a pearlscale and a fantail.

And yes, I've heard that the short/deep body may make the fish more prone to swim bladder problems ... but that's not to say it will happen. There are also more streamlined fancies (such as some Orandas and telescopes). I have only kept fancies and had two that had swim bladder problems, a pearlscale and a fantail.

Very true, i also kept many GF in my life, fancier ones are just more difficult to keep in good condition. It is more work to keep fancy goldfish healthy in comparison to commons maybe, but having a planted tank is much more work then a BB one aswell. Much depends on how you can fit the work in a husbandry routine you know works for the fish and for you i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

The best to ensure as little as possible work for you with the tank is to get it right the first time. Use some extra time to set it up and known when to do water changes - then you will only have to feed and do WC/clean. Make sure it's not in directly sunlight so you don't get overrun by algae. Feed little at a time, so you don't get spikes in the water quality. Have a bigger filter than you think is needed with a lot of filter volume so it keep the water better for longer. And don't overstock the tank :)

I would recommend keeping at least 2 fish (depending on the tank size) as they seem lonely when there is only one. There isn't a true answer to what kind of goldfish is the best and hardiest. Compare it to dogs, even true breeds gets ill. But if you have spent the time in the beginning setting up the tank and do the waterchanges needed - you can keep just about any fish for a long period of time.