Anyone have and experience with Guppies?

Cdionne77

I just adopted 2 male guppies from my neighbor who can no longer care for them. They are in a 10 gallon planted tank. 2 fake and one Anubis plants and gravel. Tank has been up and running for 4 months. Also like to mention there is also a mystery snail in there as well along with a Aqua clear 30 filter. Any way I drained the water then filled it to around 74 degrees added prime started the filter and adjusted the fish in their baggie to their new water.

Water tests by a API liquid test kit after 24 hours show Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5ppm and PH 7.4

I know I have to get them a heater as neighbor stated his broke. Anything I should be doing besides testing water daily to make sure this tank media is truly cycled.

Also basic care, proper maintenance of their tank would be greatly appreciated. I did a Google search on Guppy care but trust this site. Some google info has been Very different in how to care for them as far as temp and PH

Thanks in advanced

I don't but I know that TD and Koko have loads of experience and there are many others who have experience with them as well I'm sure!

Pics if/when you can! :photo:

Edited by Mernany

I don't but I know that TD and Koko have loads of experience and there are many others who have experience with them as well I'm sure!

Thank you! I will try to get some pics up :)

I have some pics up :) so hard to gets pics of these guys, they swim so fast :)

Guppies are great and hardy. Do watch that you don't have ornaments or fish that will rip their tails. My male guppies have oddly done better than the females I've tried, but they seem to do well in my water which is somewhat hard with a neutral p.h.

Edited by OrandaPanda

I would get the temp up alittle more. They can deal with the colder temps but they get sick alot easier... We try and keep it up to 78F when we had them in a tank.

Thank you, I just got them a heater today it's on 75 76.. I'll turn it up a bit more.

Guppies are great and hardy. Do watch that you don't have ornaments or fish that will rip their tails. My male guppies have oddly done better than the females I've tried, but they seem to do well in my water which is somewhat hard with a neutral p.h.

Thanks for the info. The only thing they have in their tank is a couple of plants. They seem pretty active and happy. They have gotten used to me and feeding time, when I'm near the tank the go right to top and wait for their food. They are just to cute. I finally named them Lenny and Squiggy lol previous owner didn't name them :(

• 1 month later...

Guppies are pretty adaptable, so I am sure any technical data you read from trusted sources will be adequate.

My main experience is to not try a male only tank. I have had two overnight guppy murders by the gang of boy guppies. I talked to the pet store owner and she took them back because she had another complaint about violent guppies.

To keep guppies, you need at least 2 females per every male guppy. This will keep them in line.

I replaced my guppies with mollies. They are much more peaceful.

I had guppies as a kid. They were the first fish I kept and I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes poor things. My friend gave me some of hers. I had a mix of males and females in a 20 gal. No filter. But I did change the water weekly, big wcs also. Plants and gravel. Although the way I kept them was pretty inadequate they did well. In summer when it got hot they reproduced like crazy. I think they must mature quite quickly because I ended up with several generations of them. They are livebearers, so very fun. They must 've quite hardy since I would never keep them in an uncycled tank now. I'm glad you gave them a home. I'm sure they will thrive under your responsable and loving care.