Gelfood recipe(canned tuna) from Gary Hater.

Hinfin

Hi!

I wanted to share this gelfood recipe i got from Gary Hater (Cincy Ranchu on GFK forum).

Main reason i started feeding gelfood is that there is no supply of quality FBW and for example repashi can only be ordered abroad and shipped where i live.

I have been feeding this gelfood to my older ranchu exclusively and to my fry from 2-3 months on for about 7 months now. I personally think this is the best alternative wet food you can cook up yourself!

The base for this gelfood is canned Tuna(in brine/water), tuna contains a very high percentage of proteine and is in the top rated products containing Methionine. Some of you might know this is an important amino acid for wen growth.

Another key bonus to making your own gelfood is that you can add vitamins, minerals, but also (herbal) medication as you see fit.

Ingredients:

To get about 500 gram of gelfood i use:

2 packs of gelatine(so 2 times what should be needed for 500ml) Presoak the gelatine if you have sheets.
1 Can of tuna in brine/water, 270 grams can and use the content completely.
100 grams of fresh organically grown broccoli(Bio label), rinsed. The original from Gary uses turnip greens but i have no year round supply of that. Other veg that springs to mind are carrots, snap beens and maybe courgettes? Do not use peas though, when blended they will cloud the water!
1 small cup of water to boil/steam the veggies and use in the mix.
1 garlic clove sliced and added to the broccoli right after the heat is turned down.
1 multi vitamin, 2 small vitamine C and 1 calcium tablet with vitamin D3 crushed, add this last to the blender.

1 teaspoon of spirulina powder, good for colour and is a powerfood for fish!
1 heaped cup of FD bloodworm, boiling water poored over a strainer to get the air out of the BW and drain the BW before use. I think about 6grams of FD BW i used which i buy in bulk, if you are on a budget or only need small amounts, just add more tuna.

Examples of things you can add:

Egg, just add raw eggs in the blender. Maybe good option for fry or when you need more potent gelfood. Eggs are also very high in the list of methionine containing foods.

Wheatgerm, should improve digestability and will thicken any gelfood that is too thin. Have tried some bio label wheatgerm and also bio label oats (source of beta-glucans). Have not yet found any clear benefits but i think it is because i also feed pellets in the morning.

Making it:

I cook the veggies for 5 minutes, then added the rest(at room temp) in the blender and blended untill very fine, then whisked(this is important for the gelfood to set without air bubbles and all fines are 'gelled' correctly so it does not break up too much) for a wile untill all looked smooth and the gelatine seems to start setting.

Poor it out on a baking tray with a sheet of nonstick paper and let it set in the fridge for a couple of hours.

When it has set you can either feed it directly from the fridge or freeze it. I cut the gelfood into cubes before freezing and store those in ziplock bags. I make enough for a couple of weeks and just feed the cubes frozen or defrosted whatever is convenient.

Just to be absolutely precise about this, i just prefer bio label products for my wee little waterpiggy baby's, you could just aswell use normal product as you see fit.

Good luck with this recipe, absolutely a must try!

Thank you very much for sharing and thank Gary for us for willing to share the recipe with us :)

Do you find a difference between adding liquid vitamins vs crushed? Do you find any change in the guanine crystals from feeding such rich sources? (Did the metallics end up with more shine)

You will typically want stabilized vitamin C. In vigor i notice this to make a significant difference vs. pellet feed. There is not much more i can say about it, will add info if i think it is clear to make a difference.

I also do think the pro/prebiotics in pellet food have no positive effect with this gelfood once a healthy biological system has established. I can see this in my chinese ranchu tank which have been fed with this gelfood recipe 100% for the last half year.

Main reason i started feeding gelfood is that there is no supply of quality FBW

Thanks Hinfin, I was just curious: what does FBW stand for? Frozen Blood Worms?

Edited by mysterygirl

Thank you very much for sharing and thank Gary for us for willing to share the recipe with us :)

Do you find a difference between adding liquid vitamins vs crushed? Do you find any change in the guanine crystals from feeding such rich sources? (Did the metallics end up with more shine)

I had to think your questions over for a wile, they are not so easy to answer. :help:

I think liquid vitamins could even improve the recipe, you can also add oil based vitamins to about a tablespoon per 500gr gelfood is estimate. Maybe more, but at some point the gel will not set as well or oil will start floating on top of the water when feeding. I have tried with olive oil and 1 tablespoon per 500gr worked fine.

I do not see much difference in the shine of the metallic scales when comparing 100% gelfood fish and +/-50% gelfood fish, the 100% gelfood fish seem to have a somewhat silk like glow on the scales but this is more due to their slimecoat which seems a bit thicker then the others. Main difference i can see is that the white in the fish is really very bright white and not the off-to-yellow white the pellet fed fish have. Also the gelfood seems to promote and stabilize red, the partially pellet fed fish seem to have less intense red and some are becoming more white. So for red and white fish (or orange) this is a benefit.

I must add all of the above observations are arguable to say the least, they are however based on a two nearly identical tanks with the same number of fish and a similar husbandry routine.

The reason why i am feeding a very rich diet is because this is the basic first step to grooming goldfish, plenty of room and good food promotes growth and you need growth to groom fish. Sounds easy enough right?

Are you not worried about the sodium and mercury in the tuna?

Yes and no, most dry fishfood contain fishmeal and by products, suitable for animal consumption. The tuna and the other ingredients are suitable for human consumtion, maybe not the most convincing arguement but i think there should be a difference at least. Second is that i do complete cleanouts so heavy metals cannot build up in the system. You could also use clay which fish tend to eat.

Anyway, something to worry about maybe, but you can only do so much right? If you worry about it you can just as easily use freshly cooked salmon, i guess if you buy the frozen salmon which are bred in northern europe or northeren america you should not get much heavy metals or sodium in the gelfood.

Yes and no, most dry fishfood contain fishmeal and by products, suitable for animal consumption. The tuna and the other ingredients are suitable for human consumtion, maybe not the most convincing arguement but i think there should be a difference at least. Second is that i do complete cleanouts so heavy metals cannot build up in the system. You could also use clay which fish tend to eat.

Anyway, something to worry about maybe, but you can only do so much right? If you worry about it you can just as easily use freshly cooked salmon, i guess if you buy the frozen salmon which are bred in northern europe or northeren america you should not get much heavy metals or sodium in the gelfood.

Even I won't eat the salmon farmed in ahem... northern Europe.

Even being fit for human consumption doesn't always mean much, it seems, because depending on the type of tuna and their location of origin, you can still wind up with between 100 and 500 ppb mercury and be "safe" According to the FDA here in the US. I agree, we can only do so much. I have to wonder if there are less "unsafe" alternative fish we could substitute instead of tuna.

Could you detail your cleanouts? I would like to hear your way of doing it. I can also see the logic in feeding clay, but again it can only do so much.

Even I won't eat the salmon farmed in ahem... northern Europe.

I'm right there with you, Susanne. ONLY wild-caught salmon for me, no matter the price. The past two summers working at Meijer have taught me that... There's a great difference between the brand of scottish farmed salmon we sell and the wild caught sockeye. And the scary thing is that those are both fresh, not frozen.

Edited by ChelseaM

Could you detail your cleanouts? I would like to hear your way of doing it. I can also see the logic in feeding clay, but again it can only do so much.

I just clean out my BB tanks with internal (high power) filter. I have stopped using a sump or canister filter and work with only very thin biofilm and cleanout any mulm/poo collecting each morning. Seems a daunting task but it just takes a few minutes in a BB tank. I also clean out the biofilm before algea settle, keeping it in diotom stage. If i clear the tank i do not clean the filters, within days a new biofilm will form itself again. Probably sound really odd, but it works very well for me and the fishies.

I just clean out my BB tanks with internal (high power) filter. I have stopped using a sump or canister filter and work with only very thin biofilm and cleanout any mulm/poo collecting each morning. Seems a daunting task but it just takes a few minutes in a BB tank. I also clean out the biofilm before algea settle, keeping it in diotom stage. If i clear the tank i do not clean the filters, within days a new biofilm will form itself again. Probably sound really odd, but it works very well for me and the fishies.

But how does that clean out the mercury the fish have ingested? I'm not sure that this helps much to fix buildup inside the fish, but it does impact water quality in a good manner.

It doesn't sound odd to me at all, since I used to run my bare bottom tank similar to this way. :)

Sweet heavens your fish are spoiled! They eat better than me!

That's funny Jason. I was kind of thinking similar thoughts as in regards to: I'm not the best of cooks for Taylor and myself and I'd hate to spend more time making and feeding my fish a homemade meal then what I feed my own daughter. :) I love my fish a lot and still think they do pretty darn good with their diet.

Hinfin: I couldn't place you where I've heard/seen your name before. Now I know/remember, from the other forum.

Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Edited by 4prettyfish

But how does that clean out the mercury the fish have ingested? I'm not sure that this helps much to fix buildup inside the fish, but it does impact water quality in a good manner.

It doesn't sound odd to me at all, since I used to run my bare bottom tank similar to this way. :)

Its not only mercury that seems worrying, i hope at least the fish respirates some of the heavy metals aswell. Binding these in clay, mixed in the food or eaten by the fish(mine love to scrape the clay residu from the bottom of the tank) would be helpfull aswell.

A quick google search shows that fish with a characteristically low levels of mercury include shrimp, tilapia, pollock, and catfish (FDA March 2004). Maybe shrimp or tilapia are a good alternative.

Still, i think having controll over what goes in the food is important here, you can then decide yourself what is best for the fish.

I think shrimp may be a good alternative. They don't seem to be viewed as much of a "cheap, low-quality" food in the US as tilapia. Maybe a bag of tiny salad shrimp in my freezer is just what I need for a high-protein supplement for my fish... bloodworms are unavailable to me due to my location.

I think prawns would seem preferrable too, bioaccumulation of any harmfull substance gets increasingly worse when moving up in the foodchain, so Tuna may be not the best choise in that respect. Bloodworm or Daphnia would be more suitable and even a more natural proteine source for GF.

Hard choises, i hope ill come across the perfect solution soon........

I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about fish nutrition, but egg white also seems to be one of Newton's favourites and he has never had a bad reaction to it.

Eggs are also very high in the list of methionine containing foods, in asia they often feed a combination of steamed whole eggs and bloodworm or daphnia. I have had a daphnia culture this spring, but to produce sufficient daphnia for my fish i really need a big daphnia plant. Still like the idea though.