Please help! I put in too much salt! What have I done?!

andry6

:cry:cry I am so stupid. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID. :cry:cry

I was trying to raise my salt to .3% and start prazipro to treat for flukes. (this is all in another thread)

Here's a little background on how this happened. Try to follow closely and maybe you can understand what caused me to make such a HUGE mistake. When I QTd my other fish I was doing 100% water changes every time I raised the salt .1%, This means I put 1 teaspoon per gallon of Api aquarium salt into the tank. Did a 100% water change after 12 hours and added 2 teaspoons per gallon, then another 100% water change after 12 hours and added 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. (the reason for the water changes was because it was a 10 gallon QT with no filtration)

Anyway, in my main tank with my two fancies, who I suspect have flukes, just two days ago, I started to raise the salt to .3% every 12 hours and started round 1 of prazipro (double dose). Only I wasn't doing 100% water changes!! I had it in my head from the previous time that I salted the QT tank to increase the number of teaspoons with each addition of salt!

This means that I added (to my 29 gallon tank) 25 teaspoons of salt. (I rounded down due to the fact that based on dimensions your tank is always smaller than what it is labeled) waited 12 hours and added 50 teaspoons of salt, waited another 12 hours and added 75 teaspoons. I am so STUPID. How can I be so careless??? :cry:wall:cry

I came home today to the two fancies up near the surface, not gasping, just hanging out at the top. They just didn't look right. Then, I checked my water parameters, even GH & KH and everything checked out fine. Then after racking my brain as to why they might be acting strange, it dawned on me what I had done.

I'm in tears over this. What have I done?? Could this cause permanent or even fatal damage? I am just beside myself right now. I try to do everything by the books and watch these guys like a hawk.

I have them in a separate tub right now with fresh (no salt) water treated with prime while I completely drain my tank and start over. What do I do now?

Right now, just keep an eye on them. Keep their water clean. A mod will advise further as to what can be done otherwise. And the biggest thing of all for you to remember: calm down. You won't be able to do anything if you're super upset, and it won't help the fish. You made a mistake, now you'll need a level head to fix it.

:hug

DEEP BREATH hun. :hug

They should be just fine. I kept my fish at 0.8% for months years ago treating for a very stubborn parasite.

do a couple huge back to back WC bringing it back to no salt, then go ahead and salt. If I was you, I'd put the 75 tsp in the end of a pantyhose and let it dissolve on it's own. The increase in salinity will be harder on any parasites than your fish. :D

I'm sure they'll be OK. Give them a break from the salt until they are happier. So just put fresh water in the tank. Wait until they seem normal again and add prazi. You don't need to use salt with prazi for treating flukes.

edit: I didn't mean to disagree with fantailfan. I don't use salt with prazi except during quarantine, but she's a better fish doctor than me, so if she recommends salt, use it.

Edited by shakaho

DEEP BREATH hun. :hug

They should be just fine. I kept my fish at 0.8% for months years ago treating for a very stubborn parasite.

do a couple huge back to back WC bringing it back to no salt, then go ahead and salt. If I was you, I'd put the 75 tsp in the end of a pantyhose and let it dissolve on it's own. The increase in salinity will be harder on any parasites than your fish. :D

The pantyhose is exactly how I introduced the salt into the tank. I wanted to make sure it would dissolve slowly into the tank as to not shock the fish...and what do I do? I overdose them on salt. I feel like a horrible fish momma. Their tails are both extremely blood streaked right now. The oranda was the worst out of the two. He was very lethargic and it almost looked like his gills had no color...almost black. He seems to be acting a little more active now that he's in the fresh water, but I am just so concerned about him. I added the two babies to the tank and they were acting totally fine. The salt didn't seem to bother them. :idont

I'm going to post a picture in a minute...

:rofl Funny, Sharon. Me a better fish doctor than you. :rofl

I typically wouldn't do salt with prazi since she has just done some prazi rounds not too long ago but I'm wondering if perhaps there is something other than or maybe in addition to flukes. I thought the salt would help if there is something else going on . . . :idont

I think she could go without the salt if she wants. :D

You are making it too difficult on yourself IMHO. Add 1 level TEAspoon per gallon to AID the fish during prazi treatment or during tank cleanouts or Q period or whatever. Use 1 level TABLEspoon of aquariumsalt per gallon for medical treatment as advised. Just to give a general idea.

Fish will generally adapt to saltlevels very easily, make sure you dont add undissolved salt to your tanks though, it can burn fish!

Edited by Hinfin

I am an idiot. Bottom line. And definitely a rookie when it comes to this sort of thing.

See his tail? Lots of blood streaks. And his gills...

003_zps7881f9cf.jpg?t=1411071597

You are making it too difficult on yourself IMHO. Add 1 level TEAspoon per gallon to AID the fish during prazi treatment or during tank cleanouts or Q period or whatever. Use 1 level TABLEspoon of aquariumsalt per gallon for medical treatment as advised. Just to give a general idea.

Fish will generally adapt to saltlevels very easily, make sure you dont add undissolved salt to your tanks though, it can burn fish!

It looks like she was trying to raise the salt to 0.3%, or 3 tsp (1 tbsp) per gallon, per Lisa's instruction, since Lisa was concerned there might be something going on other than the flukes. So the intention was to use the "treatment" dosage.

Andry, I'm sorry to hear about your fish. I could easily see myself going on autopilot and making the same mistake, since I also use a 10-gallon QT with 100% daily water changes. I left Adele in the bucket ALL DAY by accident, after I took her out to do the 100% water change when she was in QT and forgot to put her back in ... she was stunned and bottom sitting but recovered in 20 min. To make matters worse, I was feeding her in the bucket to limit ammonia levels in the tank, so by the time I got home there was lots of poop in it. [emoji17] I know it's a different scenario but I just wanted to say mistakes happen, and I think/hope your fish will recover just fine. :hug

Edited by *Amanda*

I am an idiot. Bottom line. And definitely a rookie when it comes to this sort of thing.

See his tail? Lots of blood streaks. And his gills...

003_zps7881f9cf.jpg?t=1411071597

Your fish are beautiful. We have all made these mistakes. It happens. Don't beat yourself up. Some fish handle salt better than others. I have a fish that if I put even 1 teaspoon of salt in my 55G, he hits the bottom, gasping, like I tied a weight to him. My white fish get blood streaks like crazy whenever anything is bothering them at all. It is pretty normal for them. Good luck with them. They should pull through now that you have them in fresh water.

We all make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up. I'm 99.9% sure they will be fine. :D

I see the streaking. It's much easier to see dilated vessels on white fish. Give them time. :hug

What about the gills is concerning you?

I don't know. :idont They usually look a nice bright pinkish red. Now they look black.

Excuse me while I go have a big glass of red wine to calm myself...or maybe two. I'll be back :krazy:

I have made newbie mistakes because I am new to goldfish, and I am sure I will make more in the future. Even experienced fish keepers make mistakes. It was a bad experience for both you and your beloved fish but at least you didn't come home to them dead...It is hard right now to see it this way but be glad you have the opportunity to try and fix this situation because they are still alive and didn't pass away. You caught it and they have a good chance at getting through this with OK in the end.

Hope things turn out for the best! Sorry you had such a scare, but try not to feel bad. :k055:

Sorry to kind of invade. I just wanted to say that silly little things we may do do not make us silly people :) It was an easy mistake to make, I can guarantee every newbie and every experienced member has done something like it. Maybe not to our fish, but just general mistakes. I hope you and your fish are ok. :)

Those fish look pretty on to me but I am interested to see a picture of black gills.

I guess I'm speaking more of what it looked like on the inside. If you look closely at the picture that I posted earlier you can see more of a dark grayish color...I guess it's not really "black", but they are usually bright reddish/pink. Either way, they certainly didn't look like his type of "normal" and I know these guys end to end. All fish are back in the main tank, which I drained completely and replaced with fresh water.

His gills are actually more of a light pink at the moment, so I assume the clean water has helped.

Here is a video of their behavior. Definitely not acting "themselves". The oranda, more than the fantail.

(sorry about the poor video...my auto focus was giving me a hard time)

And, notice the white spots all over their fins/tails. That was the whole reason for the salt/prazi treatment which led to this whole mess...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tmx65u1Yobs

edited to add: All four fish are only in the 29 gallon tank while I treat for flukes. Their new 75 gallon is right next to this one! I just figured it would be easier to treat and do water changes in the smaller tank before they are moved to their "forever home"

Edited by andry6

His/her behavior doesn't worry me too much. A little bit of clamping (remember--when looking at clamping, look at the pelvic fins, not the dorsal) but really rather active. Just watch his behavior over the next couple days. Putting the prazi off a day or so isn't going to be a huge deal. :D

BTW--did the wine help? :rofl3

His/her behavior doesn't worry me too much. A little bit of clamping (remember--when looking at clamping, look at the pelvic fins, not the dorsal) but really rather active. Just watch his behavior over the next couple days. Putting the prazi off a day or so isn't going to be a huge deal. :D

BTW--did the wine help? :rofl3

Yes, very much so! :thumbs:

I am glad to see they are doing better. [emoji1] Good to know about checking the pelvic fins for clamping instead of the dorsal, Lisa - I didn't know that!

I didn't either! I always looked at the dorsal.

Excuse me while I go have a big glass of red wine to calm myself...or maybe two. I'll be back :krazy:

Have one for me and another for Lisa. Then look in your tank and your fish will look great.

Kind of like beer goggles...?? :rofl3