Tiny doesn't seem Right

FishyMandy

• Supporter

Ever since I got my little Oranda, Tiny, she has being very inactive, for the first few days I put it down to being in a new strange environment, then I thought she didn't like the prazi, but even without prazi in the tank she is the same. She mainly hides in one corner. I've put some fake plants in ornaments in incase she was scared of it being so open but that hasn't made any difference either. She does eat, but she wont come out immediately to eat. I drop the food in and she will ignore and come out later (anywhere between a few minutes to a few hours) to eat it. Physically, as far as how she looks, she seems fine.

I've had her for 3 weeks now, with only a small amount of growth and no changes in her behavior. I thought it was about time I made a thread to see if I'm just being paranoid or if there is something to worry about.

Tank is a 15 gallon QT Tank. No Filter. I do 100% water changes every 2-3 days and double dose prime on the days I don't change. (I'd normally do 100% Everyday but I've being treating with Prazi). She has had 3 rounds of Prazi so far, with 0.1% salt. Right now, there is only Prime in the water.

Last water change was 2 days ago (Tuesday), she is meant to have another tonight to readd Prazi. These results are before the water change.
Ammonia is .5

Nitrite and Nitrate are 0

She is 7 grams.

She poops a lot...Like even more than I've seen any of my other bigger fish poop when in QT. I'll clean out the tank completely and a few hours later there will be a huge pile of poop (I assume) in the corner. (Though this has calmed down the past couple days). It's tiny little pieces, some the colour of her food and some white, some light brown.

She is fed Hikari Lionhead, 2-3 times a day (depends on if I'm at work).

I typed this all out before finding the form, but I've found it now, so to make it easier to follow here is a recap with the form

• Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.5
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 G
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? None
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2-3 days, 100%. Double Prime on days with no change
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 Days ago, 100%. Doing another after posting this.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, she is 7grams
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead, 2-3 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Added her 3 weeks ago, she is the only one.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi and Salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. She has just finished round 3 of Prazi
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She just stays at the bottom, and barely moves.

Here is a video

• Supporter

Another Video: This is about the most I can get her to move - she does swim away and try to get away from me when I'm trying to get her out for water changes, and seems to panic for a bit once I have her in a container, but that's about the most I get

:hi

I would reduce your feeding from 3 times a day to just one small meal a day while she is in this uncycled QT. All that food is going to push your ammonia up. She will be fine with one feeding a day for a while. It is not uncommon for fish to pout while going through Prazi rounds.

Please, give her a few days of rest from the Prazi. Keep the salt at 0.1%. During that time, watch to see if she perks up and let us know if she does (or does not).

I hope it's just the quarantine blues! :hug

Me too. My fish Cilantro bottom sits if he is put in a quarintine tank even after full treatment. It's so frustrating and unnerving. But as so as he's treated and better and I put him in the main tank he's his happy self again! What a weirdo...

I hope it's just the quarantine blues! :hug

Me too. My fish Cilantro bottom sits if he is put in a quarintine tank even after full treatment. It's so frustrating and unnerving. But as so as he's treated and better and I put him in the main tank he's his happy self again! What a weirdo...

All my fish do this in QT. I assume it's just because they're really social, and don't like being alone. My mom always feels bad for them, but I like to err on the side of caution and leave them in QT for an extra week or two, for their own well-being. [emoji4]

• Supporter

Thanks for your help everyone ^_^ I'm also hoping it's just QT Blues. Maybe once her QT tie is over and she gets to meet the other guys she will perk up (Though I hope she doesn't feel bullied since she is far smaller than anyone else right now!)

I'll stop her feeding for a few days and also stop the prazi for now.

I don't have a thermometer in the tank right now but I'll see if I can find one for it (I know I have one stored away somewhere from old tanks). The water is pretty cold though, just touching it.

• Supporter

Just updating, Tiny still spends most of his time hiding in the corner, but is a bit more active than he was before. I've got a heater in there now, only on a low setting though, and the temp is currently 21.2. I've also added heaters to my main tank.

Just updating, Tiny still spends most of his time hiding in the corner, but is a bit more active than he was before. I've got a heater in there now, only on a low setting though, and the temp is currently 21.2. I've also added heaters to my main tank.

So, as of today...how long has she been in QT? How many rounds of Prazi have been completed?

• Supporter

4 weeks today, and he has had 3 rounds of Prazi.

The first feed after the fasting he came out really fast for the food, I haven't noticed any other difference though.

He seems to come out of hiding when noone is around. Maybe he is just really shy/skittish? But I thought he would have calmed down by now. I'm worried he will get bullied if he acts like this when I eventually put him in the main tank, since my other fish are so much bigger.

As long as the food is coming out fine and there are no visual symptoms I think the fish is fine. When fish fall into the lower temperatures their immune systems work at 50% and there are some coldwater bacteria that thirves in that temp that sometimes affect fish. :)

4 weeks today, and he has had 3 rounds of Prazi.

The first feed after the fasting he came out really fast for the food, I haven't noticed any other difference though.

He seems to come out of hiding when noone is around. Maybe he is just really shy/skittish? But I thought he would have calmed down by now. I'm worried he will get bullied if he acts like this when I eventually put him in the main tank, since my other fish are so much bigger.

I would do one more round of Prazi. Feed him once a day. Don't worry about his shyness, but do watch for frequent bottom sitting. If he is constantly bottom sitting, there may be a secondary infection which will require antibiotics. You may also want to do 2 weeks of salt at 0.3% after the 4th round of Prazi to be sure you've eliminated any other parasites other than Flukes. You can start the salt at 0.3% with the 4th round of Prazi if you double dose the Prazi.

• Supporter

Quick Question, if I do 0.3 Salt with Prazi, do I double dose the prazi right away? We normally increase the salt by 0.1% every 12 hours right? Do I get it up to 0.3 then add the double dose of prazi? Or add the Prazi and salt at the same time?