What the...? Is this flukes?

andry6

I have been noticing lately that my fish have been doing quite a bit of yawning. Two days ago I noticed a white spot on my oranda's tail. Yesterday I noticed a couple on my fantail. Today...yikes! They both have a lot! They are mostly on the tail, but there are some on the fins too.

Other than yawning, no other strange behavior.

Is this flukes?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) can't tell if it's 0 or .25 (may have a slight green tint, but I'm not sure) and not sure why I would have ammonia!? Never had a bump before?! But I did just do a major scrubbing of my filters (in tank water)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api master test kit
      • * Water temperature? 72F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons (just got my 75 though!) and running for over a year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 aqueon quiet flow 30s
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week - 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 (92 g and 67g)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime and replenish
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari purple pellets, rapashi, frozen blood worms, shrimp pellets, frozen peas - 3 small feedings per day with occasional 1 day fast
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Maybe a month or so ago I did a water change and added a dose of prazipro (for maintenance) and went on with normal weekly water changes
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? not grains of salt - just white spots, some bloody streaks in tail, but not a lot. nothing out of the ordinary
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating no

189_zps3ccf0436.jpg?t=1410993221

191_zps990fe38b.jpg?t=1410906934

198_zps120b08bb.jpg?t=1410993285

Ok...I will do a big water change right now, since I think there may be a hint of ammonia in there.

Then, I'll do .3% salt and double dose prazipro for two rounds, then .1% for the remainder of the rounds.

Does that sound right?

How many rounds should I do? 4? 6?

Does this look like a bad outbreak? Should I be worried about them having negative side affects as the treatments go on and flukes die off?

I think 2-3 rounds will suffice. We will decide that as you go along. Depends on how long those buggers hang on. :rofl2 And yes I'd start with 0.3% and double prazi. :D

I wouldn't expect any big negative reactions.

Oh wow! Good thing I asked! I wasn't sure 2-3 would be enough. Do I just stop when I don't see spots anymore?

And the reason I worried about the negative reaction was because of my little baby's reaction, remember? The clamped fins, bottom sitting after the initial QT and fluke treatment (4 rounds) then I had to do MMs. I am a worry wart. These big ones have been doing so great (thanks to all of my friends here) that I can't help but panic. Especially now that I'll have an ocean in my house for them to swim in! I can't wait to get them in there!!!

Well, technically not an ocean, since that's not fresh water. More of a lake, I guess :teehee

Edited by andry6

We will probably go a round past seeing any spots. :D

I do remember your guys. :teehee The good news is if you start to see any negative reactions, you will tell us right away cuz you watch them like a hawk. If we think we need to treat, you've got MMs on hand already. :nana

We will probably go a round past seeing any spots. :D

I do remember your guys. :teehee The good news is if you start to see any negative reactions, you will tell us right away cuz you watch them like a hawk. If we think we need to treat, you've got MMs on hand already. :nana

Would it be a bad idea to put the little guys in the tank with the other two and treat them all together before introducing them to the new tank?

How many rounds of prazi did they have? How long ago? And can they fit in the big guys mouths? :o

they had 4, over a month ago, and no, they are growing nicely!

but I have seen a couple of spots on the one little one's tail that never went away, and he does look like he has a few more...

Edited by andry6

You could add them. I'd wait until you have some time to spend at home to make sure no one is getting picked on.

:thumbs:

Yay! I'm one step closer to a happy fishy family :clapping:

Just started round 2 of prazi. Spots are fading and so are the streaks in the tail/fins. Still yawning quite a bit, but otherwise acting normal :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think 2-3 rounds will suffice. We will decide that as you go along. Depends on how long those buggers hang on. :rofl2 And yes I'd start with 0.3% and double prazi. :D

I wouldn't expect any big negative reactions.

So, I did 4 rounds and my fantail is still yawning. She gets a little floaty too and I'm wondering if she can have something else going on inside :idont

I experiment with different foods to see if maybe that's it, but I'm not sure. She gulps at the surface after eating (but not all the time - that's why I'm not sure it's the food making her floaty)

I'm wondering if I should do another round of prazi or if maybe she needs something else, like MMs :idont All other fish are totally normal. All white spots on fins/tails are gone and no yawning with them.

Water parameters are good. Today ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all 0.

I will randomly go over by the tank and watch her for a minute or two, and I'm guaranteed to see it at least once each time I watch her. That seems like a lot to me...or is that normal? The others don't do it anymore after the prazi.

I'm sorry your fantail is having some floating issues and yawning. I hope she gets to feeling good soon.

That's wonderful the others are doing good. The photo's of them all are beautiful.

Ok, sorry it's taken me so long to get the video up. My weekend was a crazy one.

The first video is from Friday. (the white stuff floating in the water is Replenish...I had just put it in before taking the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D31oWHm_iio&feature=player_detailpage

The second video is from Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXF_jGLeEE0&feature=player_detailpage

The next two are from today. I've notice my oranda (Shipwreck) occasionally yawn, but the fantail (One Eyed Willie) is the one that worries me. (and Shipwreck is not missing scales, he was like that when I bought him. The scales are there, they just didn't come back shiny!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9nGxb-NsUc&feature=player_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GWQO9wWAx5g

Sorry for all of the videos, but I just wanted you to see how she's been acting over time since Friday.