What is the minimum size tank I can get away with for 4 fish?

andry6

We currently have 1 fantail (92 grams) 1 oranda (67 grams) 1 comet (3 grams) 1 common (3 grams).

The fancies are in a 29 gallon and the two little guys are in a QT tub.

I would like to put all 4 fish in the same tank but space is a problem in our house.

I know 75 gallons would be ideal, but I just can't seem to be able to fit one that size anywhere in our house. I'm looking at a 65 gallon tank and am wondering if I can get away with a tank this size for all four fish. :idont

I already do frequent water changes and my tank is pristine. I know it would mean more water changes, which I'm ok with, but I don't know how frequently I would have to change the water in order to keep the tank safe. Or, is a 65 gallon a completely horrible idea??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dimensions of the tank I'm looking at are 36.4" L x 18.4" W x 25" H

Based on the calculations from this link:

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

it says that the tank actually has a volume of 72.4 US gallons. Did I do that right?

The tank is advertised as a 65 gallon :huh:

Personally, I would not go any smaller than 75. There are quite a few reasons goldfish need so much space.

If you wanted a larger tank that would fit in a smaller space, corner tanks are always an option. :)

It sounded OK until you gave the dimensions of the tank. Tall tanks are not appropriate for goldfish so you should think of this tank as being smaller than it is. I get ~67 gallons. Why not get/make a two level stand and put a 40B on each?

Edited by shakaho

It sounded OK until you gave the dimensions of the tank. Tall tanks are not appropriate for goldfish so you should think of this tank as being smaller than it is. I get ~67 gallons. Why not get/make a two level stand and put a 40B on each?

I'm trying to eliminate having to clean two tanks, which I have found to be a huge pain in the rear!

I'm seconding the corner tank. Do you have a corner? I loved my corner tank! That's a 77 gallon in my signature. :)

I do have a corner! The next problem is price though. I don't have a ton of money to sink into an aquarium. The 65 gallon with stand and everything is $350 at petsmart! Can you give me some details on your tank? Dimensions, cost, where to find one? It's beautiful!

Buy this one! :rofl

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/4667938772.html

This is the one I had. I saw it in a LFS, and I started watching for it. I got lucky and found mine shortly after I started watching Craigslist for one. I drove about an hour to get it, and I paid $500 for it used with equipment. http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/Furniture-Sets/15374

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Buy this one! :rofl

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/4667938772.html

This is the one I had. I saw it in a LFS, and I started watching for it. I got lucky and found mine shortly after I started watching Craigslist for one. I drove about an hour to get it, and I paid $500 for it used with equipment. http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/Furniture-Sets/15374

92 gallons!!! :yikes My husband would divorce me!!

I just got a 90 gallon! I sold the corner tank before we moved to Texas this summer. Before I talked to my husband about it, I made homemade mac and cheese. :rofl Maybe you should try it -- this recipe is fabulous! :roflhttp://www.marthastewart.com/271998/perfect-macaroni-and-cheese

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I just got a 90 gallon! I sold the corner tank before we moved to Texas this summer. Before I talked to my husband about it, I made homemade mac and cheese. :rofl Maybe you should try it -- this recipe is fabulous! :roflhttp://www.marthastewart.com/271998/perfect-macaroni-and-cheese

:tomuch: You are a riot! :tomuch: I guess it would be worth a try, but I just got him to ok going bigger than a 29 gallon...I think a 92 gallon is going to be quite a fight!

Will he really know, though? My mom looked at my 90 and said, "Is that really much bigger than the other one?" The other one was a 55 LOL. If he's clueless about fish, he won't know one way or another.

It's your hobby, and can turn into a beautiful piece of artwork for your home. Why not? Maybe if you gave him the ability to have a hand in it he would be happier to comply, like letting him pick out some plants for decorating it, or something? :)

Will he really know, though? My mom looked at my 90 and said, "Is that really much bigger than the other one?" The other one was a 55 LOL. If he's clueless about fish, he won't know one way or another.

I thought about that.. but he would just look at the size and figure it out. My 29 gallon takes up very little space.

29 92. The numbers are the same. How much difference could there be? :rofl3

You are so funny! :tomuch: We must think a lot alike because that crossed my mind too and that was how I thought about presenting it to him!

It's your hobby, and can turn into a beautiful piece of artwork for your home. Why not? Maybe if you gave him the ability to have a hand in it he would be happier to comply, like letting him pick out some plants for decorating it, or something? :)

Years ago, he talked about getting an aquarium. Now that we have one, he doesn't seem as interested. Mostly because between the two of us and our three kids, we have very little time to take on another very time consuming hobby. Not to mention the cost involved.

I had no idea that I would be investing so much money into goldfish. I already have a horse, which I have owned since I was 14....and I'm sure you can imagine the amount of money invested in her over 28 years! Now we have a daughter in college and braces and the other two soon to follow. So...whatever I decide, this HAS to be the last of the upgrades!

If this is your best option and you are willing to do the needed water changes, it will work fine. 15 gallons per fish minimum, times 4 fish, is 60 gallons. 3 feet is not ideal for a common or comet goldfish for horizonal swimming space but it isn't terrible. Fancies are so slow it won't matter to them.

If this is your best option and you are willing to do the needed water changes, it will work fine. 15 gallons per fish minimum, times 4 fish, is 60 gallons. 3 feet is not ideal for a common or comet goldfish for horizonal swimming space but it isn't terrible. Fancies are so slow it won't matter to them.

Thank you! This is more along the lines of what I wanted to hear!

I also contacted the store where I purchased our fancies

http://www.aquaticasuperstore.com/

and asked them about a 65 gallon for my fish. He told me that ideally 20 gallons per goldfish is a good rule, but with weekly water changes I could get away with a 65. He agreed that obviously it would take more maintenance, but is "doable".

I don't really have much to add but I wanted to thank you for providing the weights of your fish. That really is a great source information to have :)

I will let you know that when I had to qt a 75 gm fish in a 15 gal qt I had to change the water twice daily. I know another member had a large fish(over 100 gm) and he had to upgrade his 30 gal because it wasn't enough room. I only mention this because you have a 92 gm fish.

Since two of those fish are babies it may take quite a few years before they will get to that size, I think a nice wide 3ft tank (60 gals or so) would be wonderful :)

lots of life is lived in three and four years. If you really enjoy your fish hobby you will find thrifty ways to keep them. :) I couldn't imagine being able to handle 28 goldfish when I was a wee 15 yr old when I started out but somehow slow and steady can be a good way to grow into this hobby, sorry if that doesn't make sense

and asked them about a 65 gallon for my fish. He told me that ideally 20 gallons per goldfish is a good rule, but with weekly water changes I could get away with a 65. He agreed that obviously it would take more maintenance, but is "doable".

Well I'm glad you like my answer... Just be sure to realize, you should consider all opinions equally. I often see on the internet where a person is getting all sorts of good advice but it's not what they want to hear. Then one potato head comes on and tells them what they want to hear and the person clings to.that answer as if it was spoken by God himself. I have 6 goldfish in a 125 gallon tank, and I watch them a fair amount when I am home. I find that they are usually all near eachother, within the space of a 20 gallon tank. They are schooling fish, afterall. I don't think they will be overcrowded and get mad etc as long as you keep the water clean.

I thought I'd tell you I have three fish in a 60g long.48x15/12x171/2. (something like that) I do a huge 85% plus w/c every 5 days. (sometimes I will even do them every 4 days just because I'm a fanatic about having clean water for them.) I'm hoping it will be their forever home even though I'm interested in a 90g long. I think the 65g that you were asking about in your title would be do-able seeing you said you had no problem with doing water changes. It's just a "What if" they all keep growing bigger and bigger and need more room. It might not be their forever home then.

Well I'm glad you like my answer... Just be sure to realize, you should consider all opinions equally. I often see on the internet where a person is getting all sorts of good advice but it's not what they want to hear. Then one potato head comes on and tells them what they want to hear and the person clings to.that answer as if it was spoken by God himself. I have 6 goldfish in a 125 gallon tank, and I watch them a fair amount when I am home. I find that they are usually all near eachother, within the space of a 20 gallon tank. They are schooling fish, afterall. I don't think they will be overcrowded and get mad etc as long as you keep the water clean.

you're not calling yourself a potato head are you...? :rofl3

but seriously, I do understand that 75 gallons or more would be ideal and has been told to me many times. I just have limited space and a limited budget and am wondering if I could make a 65 gallon work. At least for a couple of years or so...