Sign in to follow this  
Isa17

Am I doing this right?

Hello! I'm new here! Nice to meet you. I have a cycled tank, which has been this way for about 2 years (26 gallon, 1 fish)

I brought home an Oranda yesterday and put him/her in a 10 gallon, I really don't want to contaminate my other fish in any way.. :no:

So I've done research on here and I need advice to make sure I'm doing this properly... :P

Here is what I'm doing right now:
-100% daily water change

-Added cycled media from my main tank to the filter

-0.1% salt, planning on going up to 0.2% or 0.3% (How long should I use salt for?)

-Added Prazipro yesterday, and today after WC. (How many days in a row can I add prazi in? Do I give ''breaks'' to the treatment?)

-Observing behavior, eating, poo...etc.

Is there anything else I need to do? He is my setup right now...

10706462_1463068960649516_610492971_n.jp

Thanks in advance !!! :laugh:

Edited by Isa17

You don't need to do 100% daily WCs if your tank is cycled with other media. Keep an eye on your water quality. Remember to throw away the cycled media when you're done, though.

Salt should be at 0.3% for the first 1-2 two rounds, and PraziPro should be given at double dose during that time, then lower it to 0.1% for the remaining time with a single dose of prazi per round.

Here is the schedule for treating with Prazi: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

I would remove the rocks and plant. A QT tank should be as bare as possible, as it needs to be a sterile environment.

26 gallons US is not enough space for 2 goldfish, so think about upgrading in the near future. A good rule of thumb is to get as close to 20 gallons of water per fish as possible. I've seen people do 15 gallons per fish for awhile, but that is with a very strict maintenance schedule.

Edited by ChelseaM

You don't need to do 100% daily WCs if your tank is cycled with other media. Keep an eye on your water quality. Remember to throw away the cycled media when you're done, though.

Salt should be at 0.3% for the first 1-2 two rounds, and PraziPro should be given at double dose during that time, then lower it to 0.1% for the remaining time with a single dose of prazi per round.

Here is the schedule for treating with Prazi: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

I would remove the rocks and plant. A QT tank should be as bare as possible, as it needs to be a sterile environment.

26 gallons US is not enough space for 2 goldfish, so think about upgrading in the near future. A good rule of thumb is to get as close to 20 gallons of water per fish as possible. I've seen people do 15 gallons per fish for awhile, but that is with a very strict maintenance schedule.

Took note I will remove the decorations.

Thank you for the help!!

I want to upgrade when my funds give me the chance :):thumbs:

I filled the tank to the top after taking this picture :teehee