What should every goldfish keeper have on hand?

Cdionne77

I am curious on what I should have on hand, like aquarium salt? any medications just in case? And I don't have room for a QT or hospital tank, could I use a food grade plastic tub?

These are the items I have so far. API master water test kit, seachem prime, API Stress Zyme. And I just purchased a python water changer syphon. I was thinking of getting battery powered air pumps in case of power outages. Anything else I should have readily available?? Thanks

Seachem Metronidazole powder

Seachem kanaplex powder

MetroMeds (Goldfishconnection.com)

praziquantel (Prazipro or powder)

Morton's Canning and Pickling Salt (Cheap alternative to aquarium salt)

pure epsom salt

Extra air stone and airline tubing

extra air pump

battery powered air pump

syringe or similar for liquids or mush meds

scale that can measure to 0.1g or lower (for weighing both meds and fish)

Sterilite tub or QT tank of at least 10 gallons

non-toxic non-treated sponges (so many uses!)

plastic colander for isolating fish in the aquarium

gallon ice cream tub or similar for fishy transport / weighing

cheap buckets with lids for fish use ONLY

measuring cups/spoons for fish use ONLY

... just a handful of things I could think of.

Edited by ChelseaM

Seachem Metronidazole powder

Seachem kanaplex powder

MetroMeds (Goldfishconnection.com)

praziquantel (Prazipro or powder)

Morton's Canning and Pickling Salt (Cheap alternative to aquarium salt)

pure epsom salt

Extra air stone and airline tubing

extra air pump

battery powered air pump

syringe or similar for liquids or mush meds

scale that can measure to 0.1g or lower (for weighing both meds and fish)

Sterilite tub or QT tank of at least 10 gallons

non-toxic non-treated sponges (so many uses!)

plastic colander for isolating fish in the aquarium

gallon ice cream tub or similar for fishy transport / weighing

cheap buckets with lids for fish use ONLY

measuring cups/spoons for fish use ONLY

... just a handful of things I could think of.

Wow! Thank you so much. I figured while I am waiting for the long process of cycling my tank I figured I should stock up on supplies. Thanks again :)

Fish of Gold asked the same question not too long ago, you may want to see the answers she received here.

Thank you. I was trying to see if anything like this was posted but i'm on my phone which makes navigating difficult. Thank you for the link

To add to what has been said, i allways have a bag of medicated pellets in my freezer. Most serious SB or gut infections need to be cured asap, usually if you wait these fish will stop eating and you miss out on directly dealing with the problem. So if you have short/deep build goldfish which are prone to these issues, i would definately advise to do the same! Potentially it can also be very helpfull in Q time for (questionable origin) new GF.

Edited by Hinfin

To add to what has been said, i allways have a bag of medicated pellets in my freezer. Most serious SB or gut infections need to be cured asap, usually if you wait these fish will stop eating and you miss out on directly dealing with the problem. So if you have short/deep build goldfish which are prone to these issues, i would definately advise to do the same! Potentially it can also be very helpfull in Q time for (questionable origin) new GF.

Thank you. Any medi pellet you recommend?

I personally wouldn't put them in the freezer. This discussion has been had before, and there's a possibility of the food breaking down as it is thawed, or condensation causing issues. I'll have to find the convo and bring it up to have a better look.

Edited by ChelseaM

I personally wouldn't put them in the freezer. This discussion has been had before, and there's a possibility of the food breaking down as it is thawed, or condensation causing issues. I'll have to find the convo and bring it up to have a better look.

I have plenty of food grade air tight containers I haven't used yet. Would that work better for food meds?

I have plenty of food grade air tight containers I haven't used yet. Would that work better for food meds?

I would keep them in their original unopened containers and put them in a cool, dry place. (You could put the bags or jars in an airtight container for an extra measure of protection) Just not the freezer. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

I would keep them in their original unopened containers and put them in a cool, dry place. (You could put the bags or jars in an airtight container for an extra measure of protection) Just not the freezer. :)

Good to know thanks!

Thank you. Any medi pellet you recommend?

Ask ken's fish what would be best. He should know......

The MetroMeds I mentioned in my list are the most popular medicated pellet here. :)

I figured it was metro meds. :) because of being so new to this it kind of gets overwhelming what's good what is not. :0 I feel like a new mother to be freaking out lol

The MetroMeds I mentioned in my list are the most popular medicated pellet here. :)

I figured it was metro meds. :) because of being so new to this it kind of gets overwhelming what's good what is not. :0 I feel like a new mother to be freaking out lol

:teehee I feel like that a lot of times too. New fish? OMG. Fry? Even bigger OMG.

Don't worry though, you will get the hang of it. Being thorough in asking questions is the first step to getting the answers you're looking for. And you do an amazing job at that.

:teehee I feel like that a lot of times too. New fish? OMG. Fry? Even bigger OMG.

Don't worry though, you will get the hang of it. Being thorough in asking questions is the first step to getting the answers you're looking for. And you do an amazing job at that.

Thanks, I just don't want to be a pain in the butt...and omg fry, even more little ones to be freaked out over...I think I would faint LOL

Thanks, I just don't want to be a pain in the butt...and omg fry, even more little ones to be freaked out over...I think I would faint LOL

You aren't a pain by any means. :):hug Don't even worry about it.