Advice about dry foods?

doddmatic

Hi guys

I feed my goldfish peas and bloodworm, and in the past I've given them soylent green and some terrible gel food of my own making.
However, I'd really like to buy a good quality dry food as I don't always have the time to chop veggies or defrost worms.

I have no experience with dry foods though, are there any good ones?

Thanks

Derek

For a staple pellet, I'd suggest New Life Spectrum Thera+A 1mm. They're pretty comprehensive in terms of nutrition, and the small size makes them more easily digested.

As a supplemental pellet, I would suggest New Life Spectrum Algaemax. The ingredients in that one are very simple and complete, with the only caveat being they're in need of a protein like frozen bloodworms. (They're basically the Repashy Super Green of pellets)

I feed both Thera+A 1mm and Hikari Lionhead pellets. It says lionhead but i have chus, orandas, fantails, and a ryu and it has given great growth in all of them for their various traits.

Some other good pellets are Omega 1 and Pro-Gold (only at golsfishconnection.com). People have had good results from all although Pro-Gold is known to make fish floaty sometimes. Depends on the fish though :)

Edited by Mernany

I use NLS Thera-A, Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish and Pro Gold. What I like about these foods is not only the nutritional content, but also that the pellets are small, especially on the first two. [emoji4]

I feed both Thera+A 1mm and Hikari Lionhead pellets. It says lionhead but i have chus, orandas, fantails, and a ryu and it has given great growth in all of them for their various traits.

Some other good pellets are Omega 1 and Pro-Gold (only at golsfishconnection.com). People have had good results from all although Pro-Gold is known to make fish floaty sometimes. Depends on the fish though :)

Mel, the reason I didn't suggest ProGold is because only people in the USA can get it easily. ;)

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm going to see what I can get locally (Ireland) or ordered from the UK. If I can avoid hand feeding FBW and cooking peas a few times a week - without feeling like I'm feeding them crap - it'll be great

Whatever you decide on feeding, I still would suggest feeding FBW some time during the week. It's really good for the fish. Instead of hand-feeding, why not just thaw them in a cup and then evenly distribute them in the water?

For feeding FBW, someone on kokos suggested using a fish cone feeder like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE10525-Aquarium/dp/B0002APS3C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411090275&sr=8-3&keywords=fish+cone+feeder

I just plop a block of frozen blood worms in there and my fish suck them out of the feeder as they thaw. Works real well!

Since were on the same continent i will chime in for good gf food and availability.

The best pellets i can get in stores here is Saki Purple, lionhead is also good but can be a bit rich when you feed alot of it and dont combine with veg or gelfood.

I also feed ALOT of gelfood, it is a (canned) tuna based gelfood and makes fish grow like weeds!

I do NOT feed FBW! I dont want to put you off feeding FBW but the quality here in Holland is very poor, ive asked nearly every distributor by email how their frozen foods are sterilized, none gave me a decent reply. Hikari FBW are different in this, it is clear they do their utmost the product arrives clean and well frozen at the consumer, but Hikari FBW are not available here. I and many of my friends have had bacterial issues from low quality FBW and since not using them it stopped.

One other thing I'd like to mention is that I will only use sinking pellets for my fancies. I used to use a mix of floating and sinking and my big oranda would stay at the top and suck up everything off the surface. I could hear him smacking trying to suck in pellets stuck behind the filter etc and then shortly after he would be quite floaty for a while. I switched to only sinking pellets and the problem stopped.

Mel, the reason I didn't suggest ProGold is because only people in the USA can get it easily. ;)

:doh11: I didn't even check. I'm pretty sure I wrote this out on Tapatalk. You don't get that info next to their name on there :(

HinFin, I've had the same experience with the off brand FBWs available here. They don't even look like the branded ones in the states.

Maybe my gelfood recipe will be usefull to you aswell, it is basically the same recipe Gary Hater from the US uses. Gary helped me tremendously in learning how to raise good ranchu!

Ill post it soon!

For feeding FBW, someone on kokos suggested using a fish cone feeder like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE10525-Aquarium/dp/B0002APS3C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411090275&sr=8-3&keywords=fish+cone+feeder

I just plop a block of frozen blood worms in there and my fish suck them out of the feeder as they thaw. Works real well!

This works very well :)

I know this isn't a dry food but if you make your own brine shrimp hatchery you can feed them fresh brine shrimp :) I don't really know the nutritional quality unless you gut load them but it is fun to watch the goldfish 'go on the hunt'. Since FBW can be sometimes difficult to get good quality, brine shrimp eggs are basically the same throughout plus you grow them yourself :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use Hikari when I can get it (very hard here in Denmark unless you buy it from E-bay), mostly green bag as I have mostly moors and fantails. I also recommend NatureFoods (German brand) which comes in 3 different size pellets and its very good.

Just ordered 3 different kinds of pellets for my fish. JBL, NatureFoods and Tetra. Just to try something new that is easier to come by than Hikari.

Other than that my fish mainly get gelfood. Once in a while I'll buy live bloodworms or live mosquito larvae and feed them that. Trying out frozen bloodworms, but I like the live ones better as the fish gets to chase them around the tank and they love the chase!