Help/Advice for 2 poorly goldfish

DawnyBee

Ok, that will be tomorrow (Monday) then as last dose of Kanaplex has been done.

I'll get some garlic juice to try to make the metro meds more appealing to him.

The wound on Squeesh's face is still wide open. It looks nice and clean but it hasn't closed yet. Still ok to stop the Kanaplex?

Norman still the same :(

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that will be tomorrow (Monday) then as last dose of Kanaplex has been done.

I'll get some garlic juice to try to make the metro meds more appealing to him.

The wound on Squeesh's face is still wide open. It looks nice and clean but it hasn't closed yet. Still ok to stop the Kanaplex?

Norman still the same :(

Yes. we don't want to go past 10 days of Kanaplex as it can be hard on the kidneys. See if Norman will start eating Metro Meds tomorrow,

NORMAN ATE SOME METRO MEDS!!!! :) :) :)

I got garlic juice and gave them a good soak (the house stinks now!) and I broke them up into smaller peices and he actually ate them!

It wasn't a full days dose which would be 1.68g, it was probably about 1/3 of that but it is evening so I think over the course of a full day I should be able to get that into him - I didn't want to push it tonight as I have to sit him upright for every pellet which is alot of handling him and didn't want to stress or exhaust him too much, especially as my OH will be doing a water change tonight.

At the moment I have Prazi,salt and metro in the tank.

Tonight 50% water change and add back the salt & Prazi and dose metro again.

The Prazi is due to come out again on the 8th but neither of us will actually be here to do it, we can't do anything about that - is it ok to leave the Prazi in an extra day?

How should I proceed now, carry on with the rest of the Prazi treatment plus metro powder and metro-meds for Norm?

I'm so hopeful now I've managed to get some meds actually into him, fingers crossed we might finally see some improvement!

Thanks!

x

NORMAN ATE SOME METRO MEDS!!!! :) :) :)

I got garlic juice and gave them a good soak (the house stinks now!) and I broke them up into smaller peices and he actually ate them!

It wasn't a full days dose which would be 1.68g, it was probably about 1/3 of that but it is evening so I think over the course of a full day I should be able to get that into him - I didn't want to push it tonight as I have to sit him upright for every pellet which is alot of handling him and didn't want to stress or exhaust him too much, especially as my OH will be doing a water change tonight.

At the moment I have Prazi,salt and metro in the tank.

Tonight 50% water change and add back the salt & Prazi and dose metro again.

The Prazi is due to come out again on the 8th but neither of us will actually be here to do it, we can't do anything about that - is it ok to leave the Prazi in an extra day?

How should I proceed now, carry on with the rest of the Prazi treatment plus metro powder and metro-meds for Norm?

I'm so hopeful now I've managed to get some meds actually into him, fingers crossed we might finally see some improvement!

Thanks!

x

I am glad he is accepting the MMs. Don't worry about the extra day of Prazi. That won't hurt anything. Let's let tonight's dose of Metro powder be the last since he has started Metro Meds. How is Squeesh?

He ate a full half dose of MM this morning, ill give him the second half of them tonight before i go out for dinner (its my birthday :) )

We'll do the next water change to get the Prazi out on Thurs 9th then (but ill keep checking the water and double dose Prime if needed - its been fine so far) and carry on with the Prazi protocol plus 0.1% salt but no more Metro powder (or Kanaplex)

Squeesh seems like her old self but that wound isnt closing - seems to have flesh hanging out if it but its not bloody and not furry at all.

do you think itll heal up ok with the salt?

x

It takes a while and he spits them out to begin with but he does finally take to them and eat the amount i need him to.

At the moment its half in the morning and half at night, i can spread it out a bit more at the weekend.

He is pooping now which he hasnt for a while - or at least nothing ive seen except white stringy ones. Poop looks nice and normal.

There is no improvement in him though, he still cant stay upright, but still struggles and tries.

Squeesh's eye is ok although it looks like its purging again, bits of flesh coming out of it. Not sure if that is something to worry about or not? it doesnt look too gross, just an open wound really.

x

It takes a while and he spits them out to begin with but he does finally take to them and eat the amount i need him to.

At the moment its half in the morning and half at night, i can spread it out a bit more at the weekend.

He is pooping now which he hasnt for a while - or at least nothing ive seen except white stringy ones. Poop looks nice and normal.

There is no improvement in him though, he still cant stay upright, but still struggles and tries.

Squeesh's eye is ok although it looks like its purging again, bits of flesh coming out of it. Not sure if that is something to worry about or not? it doesnt look too gross, just an open wound really.

x

You are a trooper! Keep feeding him. The normal poop is a good sign. What is in their water now...meds, salt, nothing ?

I failed last night, it was midnight, I was shattered and towards the end of the feeding he started holding them all in his mouth and spitting them all out at the same time. I gave up. Feel awful about it this morning. I reckon he had 2/3 of the days dose. Will carry on today and hope I haven't done too much damage to his treatment :(

In the water now is Metro, Prazi and salt - all bring removed tonight with a 100% water change and I'll add back in only the salt.

X

Don't feel like you failed. You have been trying very hard and have done all that we've asked of you. Norman's condition may not be something we can treat. But, I encourage you to keep trying until he shows improvement or you think it's time to let him go. And don't forget that you have saved Squeesh from what would have surely resulted in death.

If possible, it might be a good time to move Norman to a separate tub with an airstone and treat him separately. I would do this when you do the water change and remove the remaining meds. I am concerned that his present condition may endanger Squeesh. At this point, we want Squeesh to be in perfect water with very little exposure to bacterial pathogens.

Would I continue with the Prazi in the separate tub too? And how often would I need to do water changes on it seeing as no filter do you think? I really want to do what's best, I'm just quite restricted with my broken wrist and my OH working long hours. Plus we have a cat, and no lid for our containers so that won't work unless I can get a lid for it. Which I can do.

I almost daren't say it but I think there is a slight improvement in Norman today! He has been able to right himself a couple of times and actually had a little swim which he hasn't been able to do for weeks. Fingers crossed!

I managed to get more meds in him this morning, about to give him some more now and then the last of the days dose this evening (I'm at home today)

Annoyingly Nitrites are right up at 5.0ppm today. Water change was done on Monday. I've put a double dose of Prime in to try to help before my OH gets home to do tonight's water change. Is there anything else I can do one-handed in the meantime? Squeesh has been bottom sitting a bit but she had also been swimming around and eating like a pig.

Would I continue with the Prazi in the separate tub too? And how often would I need to do water changes on it seeing as no filter do you think? I really want to do what's best, I'm just quite restricted with my broken wrist and my OH working long hours. Plus we have a cat, and no lid for our containers so that won't work unless I can get a lid for it. Which I can do.

I almost daren't say it but I think there is a slight improvement in Norman today! He has been able to right himself a couple of times and actually had a little swim which he hasn't been able to do for weeks. Fingers crossed!

I managed to get more meds in him this morning, about to give him some more now and then the last of the days dose this evening (I'm at home today)

Annoyingly Nitrites are right up at 5.0ppm today. Water change was done on Monday. I've put a double dose of Prime in to try to help before my OH gets home to do tonight's water change. Is there anything else I can do one-handed in the meantime? Squeesh has been bottom sitting a bit but she had also been swimming around and eating like a pig.

Okay scratch what I said. If he is improving, let's leave him in with Squeesh. What round of Prazi are we on right now?

I agree with Lisa about the Nitrite.

Surprised and pleased that Norman is better today :)

Yep NitRITE I'm afraid, guess the kana did mess with my BBs after all. We've been doing water changes every other day so it's not been an issue thus far but due to being out a bit this week we missed a water change yesterday and are doing it tonight. 100% to remove all meds ( and nitrite :) )

This is the end of Round 3 on the Prazi.

My OH won't be home from work for at least another 4 hours. I double dosed some Prime, just in case it helps in the meantime. Feel SO useless with this broken wrist, I am beyond frustrated that I can't help my fin babies myself and have to rely on him. I never realised what a control freak I am!!

Thank you again for all your help so far, if Norman doesn't make it at least I know I tried everything I could. And you're right, at least Squeesh is on the mend.

Yep NitRITE I'm afraid, guess the kana did mess with my BBs after all. We've been doing water changes every other day so it's not been an issue thus far but due to being out a bit this week we missed a water change yesterday and are doing it tonight. 100% to remove all meds ( and nitrite :) )

This is the end of Round 3 on the Prazi.

My OH won't be home from work for at least another 4 hours. I double dosed some Prime, just in case it helps in the meantime. Feel SO useless with this broken wrist, I am beyond frustrated that I can't help my fin babies myself and have to rely on him. I never realised what a control freak I am!!

Thank you again for all your help so far, if Norman doesn't make it at least I know I tried everything I could. And you're right, at least Squeesh is on the mend.

The salt should offset any ill effects from the Nitrite for now. Tonight will fine for the water change. You have a good husband for doing this :)

Let's give them a couple days before starting the next round of Prazi and see if Norman continues to improve. Let us know when it's time for round 4 and we will decide whether to proceed at that point.

You are welcome :) :)

Ok great, I didn't know that about the salt, that puts my mind at rest til he gets home.

Norm just ate his 2nd round of MMs without a single bit of fuss :) such a good boy :) I did wake him up when trying to feed him last night - that's probably why he was spitting them out, who likes being woken up at midnight and force fed garlic flavoured medicine?!? Haha! I would of spat it out too! Poor wee thing! :)

Ok great, I didn't know that about the salt, that puts my mind at rest til he gets home.

Norm just ate his 2nd round of MMs without a single bit of fuss :) such a good boy :) I did wake him up when trying to feed him last night - that's probably why he was spitting them out, who likes being woken up at midnight and force fed garlic flavoured medicine?!? Haha! I would of spat it out too! Poor wee thing! :)

Yay, Norman :nana

Hey guys, round 4 of Prazi due today - should I go ahead with it?

No further improvement in Norm I'm afraid. He has fight and a good appetite and the will to live but he just can't stay uptight. Spends all day on his left side. Today is day 7 of MMs. Should we see improvement by now or could it take longer? I so desperately want him to get better.

X

Hey, I put the Prazi in, hope that was ok.

It's day 8 of MMs and Norman has refused to eat any today. Ive tried twice and he spits them out every time. There's no improvement in him at all, I thought there was but not any more. Really don't know what to do now? Is there anything else I can try? Should I take him to a vet? Any advice welcome, I'm devastated that after all this time he hasn't got any better. I don't want to let him go :(

I really do know how it feels, Dawn, and I am so sorry you are going through this :k055:

I am currently having Metronidazole in Chloe's QT and she continues to improve. And as of this morning Bandit is on the road to recovery. Yesterday, when I came back home I found him dropsied. I honestly thought that he will not survive the night. Yet, this morning, when I walked into the room, Bandit nearly jumped out of his tank, happy and wriggly and very hungry. People here often say that things often get worse before they start getting better. Bandit proved that they words are true. That's why I still have hope for Norman. I am sending lots of good thoughts your way. Don't give up :hug

Thanks Kat, so glad your little ones are getting better, must be such a relief! I hope the continue to recover well :)

Lisa I have Kanaplex (plus some straight up kanamycin) and Metronidazole. They've had a 10 day course of kana already and I started the metro powder but then stopped it after he started eating the MMs.

x