Help/Advice for 2 poorly goldfish

DawnyBee

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for the good vibes!

I certainly need them at the moment - I managed to break my wrist at the weekend!! It never rains but it pours!

Lucky for me I have a wonderful OH who did the water change and dosing of salt & meds yesterday.

Looks like he'll be doing the majority of it now as my arm is in a cast for the next 6-8 weeks :(

Tomorrow is remove Prazi day so will do a 100% water change, add back the salt and Kanaplex and if you let me know what you think re the metro powder Jared I can add that too.

Ive been hand feeding Norman and holding him upright while he chews so I know he is getting some food. He is still spending all day on his side, no improvement yet.

Squeesh is eating fine and swimming around, she is looking good!

Maybe the fish are getting better and Im falling apart?! im happy with that deal, they deserve to feel better :)

Thank you all for the good vibes!

I certainly need them at the moment - I managed to break my wrist at the weekend!! It never rains but it pours!

Lucky for me I have a wonderful OH who did the water change and dosing of salt & meds yesterday.

Looks like he'll be doing the majority of it now as my arm is in a cast for the next 6-8 weeks :(

Tomorrow is remove Prazi day so will do a 100% water change, add back the salt and Kanaplex and if you let me know what you think re the metro powder Jared I can add that too.

Ive been hand feeding Norman and holding him upright while he chews so I know he is getting some food. He is still spending all day on his side, no improvement yet.

Squeesh is eating fine and swimming around, she is looking good!

Maybe the fish are getting better and Im falling apart?! im happy with that deal, they deserve to feel better :)

Oh no! Sorry about your wrist :(

Go ahead and add the Metronidazole tomorrow after the 100% water change along with the Kanaplex and salt. I think that this will help Norman while the Kanaplex continues to help Squeesh. You can add the Metro today if you feel like Norman is declining, but you will have to re-dose it tomorrow after the water change.

Tomorrow, will you post where we are with all the meds?

Kanaplex: Day ?

Prazi: Round?

Metro: Day 1

Hi guys,

Got up and checked the tank today and something really weird has happened to that growth on Squeesh's eye. I put the Metro powder in last night as Norman is declining and wanted to do something. I put in 2 measures per 40l of water.

This morning that thing on her eye looks like either all the skin has come away from it, or that whatever it was has fallen out the bottom of it and it hanging there. It is seriously gross, looks like a Rice Krispie but a slightly bloody one!

Here are some photos:

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-11.jpg.html?filters[user]=121152400&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-12.jpg.html?filters[user]=121152400&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-13.jpg.html?filters[user]=121152400&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Today is 100% water change to get the Prazi out and this is where I'm at in the schedule:

Prazi - end of round 2

Day 7 of Kanaplex

Day 2 of Metro

Please let me knows what you think of her eye?

It looks horrific but she doesn't seem too upset. A bit quieter maybe. I tested the water yesterday and ammonia and nitrite were both 0.

I can't do anything with this stupid broken wrist but my OH will do the water change and re-dose the meds tonight - should we do anything for her eye?

Thanks

Dawn

Hi guys,

Got up and checked the tank today and something really weird has happened to that growth on Squeesh's eye. I put the Metro powder in last night as Norman is declining and wanted to do something. I put in 2 measures per 40l of water.

This morning that thing on her eye looks like either all the skin has come away from it, or that whatever it was has fallen out the bottom of it and it hanging there. It is seriously gross, looks like a Rice Krispie but a slightly bloody one!

Here are some photos:

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-11.jpg.html?filters[user]=121152400&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-12.jpg.html?filters[user]=121152400&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-13.jpg.html?filters[user]=121152400&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Today is 100% water change to get the Prazi out and this is where I'm at in the schedule:

Prazi - end of round 2

Day 7 of Kanaplex

Day 2 of Metro

It looks horrific but she doesn't seem too upset. A bit quieter maybe. I tested the water yesterday and ammonia and nitrite were both 0.

I can't do anything with this stupid broken wrist but my OH will do the water change and re-dose the meds tonight - should we do anything for her eye?

Thanks

Dawn

Yuck! That is gross :rofl Can you try to "gently" swab it away with a wet Q-tip. I think the Kana is probably helping to purge the infection out.

I hope the Metro will help Norman. It is our best bet for an internal infection since he won't eat the Metro Meds.

• Admin

Hi guys,

Here are some photos:

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile Uploads/image-11.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=121152400&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=2

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile Uploads/image-12.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=121152400&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile Uploads/image-13.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=121152400&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0

Prazi - end of round 2

Day 7 of Kanaplex

Day 2 of Metro

Thanks

Dawn

Yuck! That is gross :rofl Can you try to "gently" swab it away with a wet Q-tip. I think the Kana is probably helping to purge the infection out.

I hope the Metro will help Norman. It is our best bet for an internal infection since he won't eat the Metro Meds.

my thoughts exactly :yikes

Seems to be coming out more and more and disintegrating so you're probably right! How weird/cool/interesting! When we do the water change and have her in a smaller bucket I'll see what comes off, I just tried with a Q-Tip but she keeps getting away from me and I'm one-handed.

Kat recommend where to get some garlic guard from so will try to get some and give the metro-meds a go again if the powder doesn't help as he will eat, just need to make it more appealing to him I think.

Personally, I'd hold off on the MMs now that he's been on kanaplex. MMs contains 3 medications and you don't want to overdo the meds. Plus, if his appetite isn't great, you may not be able to get enough MMs in him to be effective . . .

Just my :twocents:idont

Personally, I'd hold off on the MMs now that he's been on kanaplex. MMs contains 3 medications and you don't want to overdo the meds. Plus, if his appetite isn't great, you may not be able to get enough MMs in him to be effective . . .

Just my :twocents:idont

Yes, no Metro Meds, please :)

Thanks Kate :) it's more inconvenient than anything!

Kat was able to lend me some Kanaplex at the same time as the Metro.

Almost all that pus has come out of Squeesh's face - pretty gross!

I have a question Mods, with dosing Kanaplex and Metronidazole every other day that would mean a water change and re-dose on Thursday - then I'm due to do a water change and re-add the Prazi on Friday. My question is do I need to do those two water changes and re-dosing in a row? Or if the water params are ok could I postpone the doses tomorrow and add the them on Friday so it's in synch with adding the Prazi? I'm concerned about adding meds then taking them out and re-dosing the very next day - seems like a waste of medication?

Please let me know what you think,

Thanks

Dawn

Hi Dawn :) You need to do a water change and re-dose the Metro and Kana as scheduled tomorrow. But you can skip the water change on Friday and just add the Prazi (on Friday).

How is the cycle holding up against the meds? Is Norman improving at all?

Ok great, will do.

Tuesday will be the 5th dose of Kanaplex. Do I keep going for 10 doses or 10 days?

I haven't noticed any improvement in Norman at all, he spends all day lying on his side just struggling up now and then to shift to a different part of the tank :(

The water seems to be holding its own, Ammonia and Nitrites have been zero and water changed every other day.

Ok great, will do.

Tuesday will be the 5th dose of Kanaplex. Do I keep going for 10 doses or 10 days?

I haven't noticed any improvement in Norman at all, he spends all day lying on his side just struggling up now and then to shift to a different part of the tank :(

The water seems to be holding its own, Ammonia and Nitrites have been zero and water changed every other day.

Kanaplex: 5 doses total which creates a 10 day treatment period.

I think the Metro may help Norman with more time. The Kanaplex was more for Squeesh with the off chance of helping Norman. Metro is for gram positive, anaerobic bacteria whereas Kanaplex is for gram negative, aerobic bacteria. The two together cover most of the bases. Since Norman seems to have an internal infection (anaerobic), the Metro will probably be the one to work for him. There is, however, a chance that this is not bacterial or too far along and we may not be able to cure him. But, let's keep our fingers crossed :)

I asked about the cycle because there is some debate over the effect of Kanamycin on Nitrifying (filter) bacteria. I am trying to collect more data from people like you to help make better recommendations for preserving a cycle during treatment. Thanks :)

Ok thanks,

So water change and last dose of Kanaplex tomorrow. Plus salt and metro.

Add Prazi on Friday

Water change plus Metro, salt and re-add the Prazi on Saturday?

Then carry on with Metro every other day for 10 days like the Kanaplex fitting the Prazi in around the water changes for the metro? Only 2 weeks of Prazi left to go :)

Fingers crossed this metro works on Norm, feel so sorry for the wee guy.

I'm so sorry to read that you broke your wrist and that your in a cast. I hope your not in a lot of pain.

Sending out good thoughts on you and your fish to get to feeling better soon. Your doing an awesome job with them.

Thank you, I appreciate the good thoughts :)

I just know how hard it can be to take care of sick fish when your not at your best/sick. (just like I'm sure others know when they aren't well) I'm glad you have some help for it would be kind of hard with a broken wrist in a cast to do all by yourself. :hug

Ok thanks,

So water change and last dose of Kanaplex tomorrow. Plus salt and metro.

Add Prazi on Friday

Water change plus Metro, salt and re-add the Prazi on Saturday?

Then carry on with Metro every other day for 10 days like the Kanaplex fitting the Prazi in around the water changes for the metro? Only 2 weeks of Prazi left to go :)

Fingers crossed this metro works on Norm, feel so sorry for the wee guy.

I would save yourself some work and wait until Saturday after the water change to add the Prazi. That will also sync it up better with the Metro doses.

Sounds good - ill do that :)

Squeesh looks better, one eye is still bigger than the other but it isn't as huge and the pus seems to almost be gone. Bit of a hole left but the edges look clean and its kinda white but in a healing looking way rather than a bad way. She is swimming around and eating well.

No change in Norman :( Still lays on his side all day. His struggles to get up are pretty feisty so he still seems to have fight in him - he just cant get upright.

I'm hand feeding him a couple of pellets a day and holding him upright while he chews them. I'm still hopeful as he doesn't look 'bad' apart from laying down all day - he's feisty and eating when I bring the food to him. Maybe he still has enough spirit to fight off whatever this is - I hope so.

I wont give up until he does.

I noticed a very stringy white poo yesterday, one end of which was almost yellow and kind of concertinaed in appearance. I had given him a pea that morning but that usually makes his poo green not yellow.

No sure if that is infection coming out of him or what. Pretty sure it was his as Squeesh's seem normal and are reddish/brown like their food.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.....

x

Sounds good - ill do that :)

Squeesh looks better, one eye is still bigger than the other but it isn't as huge and the pus seems to almost be gone. Bit of a hole left but the edges look clean and its kinda white but in a healing looking way rather than a bad way. She is swimming around and eating well.

No change in Norman :( Still lays on his side all day. His struggles to get up are pretty feisty so he still seems to have fight in him - he just cant get upright.

I'm hand feeding him a couple of pellets a day and holding him upright while he chews them. I'm still hopeful as he doesn't look 'bad' apart from laying down all day - he's feisty and eating when I bring the food to him. Maybe he still has enough spirit to fight off whatever this is - I hope so.

I wont give up until he does.

I noticed a very stringy white poo yesterday, one end of which was almost yellow and kind of concertinaed in appearance. I had given him a pea that morning but that usually makes his poo green not yellow.

No sure if that is infection coming out of him or what. Pretty sure it was his as Squeesh's seem normal and are reddish/brown like their food.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.....

x

Okay, it sounds like Squeesh is making a full recovery :)

What day of Metro are we on now? We may have to try the Metro Meds again with Norman if the Metro/Kana doesn't work.

We are on day 4 with a cheeky dose when I first got it.

So:

Monday 29th: dose metro

Tuesday 30th: water change and dose metro

Wednesday 1st: nothing

Thursday 2nd: water change and dose metro

Friday 3rd: nothing.

How long should I give the metro powder before trying the metro meds?

We are on day 4 with a cheeky dose when I first got it.

So:

Monday 29th: dose metro

Tuesday 30th: water change and dose metro

Wednesday 1st: nothing

Thursday 2nd: water change and dose metro

Friday 3rd: nothing.

How long should I give the metro powder before trying the metro meds?

If he hasn't improved by the time you are done with the Kanaplex, then we will continue the metro powder and try to add in the Metro Meds.