Sign in to follow this  
DawnyBee

Help/Advice for 2 poorly goldfish

Unfortunately I don't have any HP in the house but can try to get some tomorrow. To be honest though she is very 'flippy' - just weighing her resulted in a complete soaking, I would worry about getting it in her eye? Could I try just wiping with a wet Q-tip with no HP on it?

Should I dose Norman at 1% of his body weight on the Metro Meds now? And should I be carrying on with the rest of the Melafix treatment? I would love to get some Meds in him before I go to bed....?

Yes, give Norman the Metro Meds, but make sure Squeesh doesn't get any of it. Do you have 2 tanks to separate them? If not, I would recommend getting a divider to keep Squeesh from eating any Metro Meds crumbs or Norman's poop. Let's continue the Melafix for Squeesh's eye. Continue the Prazi rounds as well.

Ok thanks, I will get some HP today, I think if I transfer her to a smaller bucket she will calm down and Ill be able to wipe it.

Am I trying to knock that white bit off? Or just swab it?

Ill also try to get a divider for them.

What would happen if Squeesh ate some crumbs or poop today while Im at work? It wont hurt her will it? Or is it just that its best not to give anything antibiotics unless they really need them?

I managed to get pretty much the whole days dose into Norman last night - he maybe spat out one or two tiny pellets

I got half of todays dose into him this morning and will get the rest in tonight. He isn't that keen on eating so its not all that easy but if I can crow bar food into a resistant 2 year old human, I can certainly get some pellets into a fish :teehee

50% water change, add back the 0.1% salt but no Prazi tonight. Plus day 6 of Melafix.

Will keep you updated,

As always - THANK YOU!

x

Dawn, if he is not so keen on MMs you can try briefly soak them in garlic juice - that usually does the trick with my Chloe :)

Ok thanks, I will get some HP today, I think if I transfer her to a smaller bucket she will calm down and Ill be able to wipe it.

What would happen if Squeesh ate some crumbs or poop today while Im at work? It wont hurt her will it? Or is it just that its best not to give anything antibiotics unless they really need them?

I managed to get pretty much the whole days dose into Norman last night - he maybe spat out one or two tiny pellets

I got half of todays dose into him this morning and will get the rest in tonight. He isn't that keen on eating so its not all that easy but if I can crow bar food into a resistant 2 year old human, I can certainly get some pellets into a fish :teehee

50% water change, add back the 0.1% salt but no Prazi tonight. Plus day 6 of Melafix.

Will keep you updated,

As always - THANK YOU!

x

You dont want to be harsh... So just a gentle cleaning if it comes off fine if not no biggy either. We just want to make sure its clean, so the meds can get in there and kill what ever is causing the problem :)

Will keep you updated,

As always - THANK YOU!

x

We don't want Squeesh to ingest small amounts of the antibiotics as this can lead to bacterial resistance to these meds in the future.

Feed Norman 1/2 the pellets in the morning and half at night. 3 meals of 1/3 pellets would be even better, but I don't think your work schedule will allow that. We just want to keep an even amount of meds in him at all times. If he begins to refuse the food, then we will switch to the Kanaplex.

Let's discontinue the Melafix after day 7.

Ive had to come home to work today so just tried getting a second feeding in him but he has started to spit out every pellet.

Is garlic juice just the juice squeezed out of some garlic? Or is it an actual product?

I can get garlic in a tube which is already mushed up - could I soak it in that?

If not it will have to be Kanaplex and unfortunately it will have to be tomorrow as I had to leave work before my parcel of it arrived today.

Its just one thing after another, I was really hoping he would eat these meds - he seemed to do well with them last night.

Any other bright ideas of how to get him to eat them?

Thanks

Dawn

Ive had to come home to work today so just tried getting a second feeding in him but he has started to spit out every pellet.

Is garlic juice just the juice squeezed out of some garlic? Or is it an actual product?

I can get garlic in a tube which is already mushed up - could I soak it in that?

If not it will have to be Kanaplex and unfortunately it will have to be tomorrow as I had to leave work before my parcel of it arrived today.

Its just one thing after another, I was really hoping he would eat these meds - he seemed to do well with them last night.

Any other bright ideas of how to get him to eat them?

Thanks

Dawn

I don't know the garlic trick. Maybe Kat will chime in. The divider might help, so he could go to the food on his own. Try to feed him again tonight. Maybe put Squeesh in a separate contain while Norman eats and let Norman go to the food on his own?

I recently had a fish refuse MMs after eating them for 6 days. I had to switch her to Kanaplex...but it worked and she is well now.

It's no use, he won't eat it :(

I moved Squeesh into another container when I did the water change to get the first round of Prazi out. I refilled the tank and put a little pile of Metro-meds mixed with NLS pellets to try to disguise them but he ignored the whole lot. Not interested at all, although he will eat peas and NLS pellets so he just doesn't want the MM. I left him on his own for a bit but he didn't eat any of it so I sucked them up with my turkey baster (which is only for fishy use!! Haha!) to get them out before putting Squeesh back in. Maybe I should have done it the other way and tried to feed him before the fresh water but it's done now and my back is killing me, can't handle another water change tonight :(

Incidentally when I was sucking up the pellets I noticed a fleshy white and red looking 'thing'. I scooped it out and binned it before thinking I should have photographed it for you to see. It was small, looked like the fuzzy white stuff off Squeesh's eye (which has dropped off) but with a bit of a blood red core? I managed to swab her eye with a wet Q-tip while she was in her holding pen too (no HP on it, the shop was out of it). The big white bit has gone and it looks much neater but does have a bit of red in it. Maybe red (flesh/blood) is better than white (fungus)?

Not sure what to do about Norman, should I start Kanaplex tomorrow? Reluctant to wreck my cycle but if it's the only other option then I guess I have to unless I can get him eating these meds. He's just spitting them out as soon as I can get them in his mouth at the minute. Unhelpful little so-and-so!!

Water params were ok just before water change:

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0

PH: 8.4 I think, so a bit raised

Didn't do KH or Nitrate

In the water now:

0.1% salt

20mls Melafix

Both are enjoying the fresh water and swimming about, but Norman still spending a lot of time on his back or side.

If he's not interested in MMs, I'd go with the kanamycin. He would need to eat 1% of his body weight in MMs and if he isn't interested it would be a real struggle to get that much in him.

Can you get a pic of the red spot on Squeesh's eye?

Dawn, I use Seachem Garlic Guard - they have it in pretty much every store that deals with fish. May I ask were abouts do you live?

I do have a MMs hater (yes, Lulu, I am talking about you!) but she usually comes around day 3. First two days are struggle and I feed her all day long. I also noticed that ALL of my guys won't eat whole pellet so I usually break them into smaller peaces. It takes forever to feed them though.

Ugh! I think the easiest and best way to go at this point is to treat both fish in the main tank with the Kanaplex. Stop feeding the Metro Meds and discontinue the Melafix. The Kanamycin will finish off Squeesh's eye infection and should hopefully help Norman as well. I would have liked to have paired the Kanplex with Metronidazole, but I know you weren't able to get it.

If you move Norman to a separate QT tank, you will have to do daily water changes anyway and Squeesh won't benefit. Considering both fish have bacterial issues, it is probably good to "nuke" the main tank with the Kanamycin, anyway.

Let's continue with salt at 0.1%, Prazi and now Kanaplex. Sorry, Norman is not cooperating :madrant

Thanks guys, I'm happy to go down the Kanaplex route - I really need something that's going to sort them both out as this two pronged attack isn't working so far.

Thanks for the advice on the garlic Kat, I'll keep that in mind if I need to treat them both, I'm worried about Squeesh eating it when she isn't supposed to. Norman is being so weird I think I could wait an eternity for him to eat something he's actually supposed to! I live in Hackney by the way :)

FantailFan I tried to get a photo of Squeesh's eye but she completely freaked out when I put the tank light on (it's never usually on but need it for decent photos) and I was worried she was going to hurt herself so gave up. It looks pretty much the same as the previous photo - just a bit of white sticking out but there is red at the base. It almost looks like a hole with white fluff growing out if it. I think it is healing though, it looks better.

I can start the Kanaplex tomorrow - could you advise on what I need to do?

You mentioned 100% water change, so I guess ill pop them both in a holding box, drain their tank, refill and add 0.1% salt but NO Melafix.

Then I'm assuming the Kanaplex will have instructions.

I need to start the second round of Prazi on Friday, does Kanaplex stay in the tank? Do I need to re-dose after the 50% water change?

Also, if it kills my cycle how is best to manage that? Check the water readings daily and do small water changes as needed and add the Kanaplex that's removed? And the Prazi too?

Sorry for all the questions, this level of medicating is not something I've done before, appreciate your help!

Thanks

Dawn

Thanks guys, I'm happy to go down the Kanaplex route - I really need something that's going to sort them both out as this two pronged attack isn't working so far.

Thanks for the advice on the garlic Kat, I'll keep that in mind if I need to treat them both, I'm worried about Squeesh eating it when she isn't supposed to. Norman is being so weird I think I could wait an eternity for him to eat something he's actually supposed to! I live in Hackney by the way :)

FantailFan I tried to get a photo of Squeesh's eye but she completely freaked out when I put the tank light on (it's never usually on but need it for decent photos) and I was worried she was going to hurt herself so gave up. It looks pretty much the same as the previous photo - just a bit of white sticking out but there is red at the base. It almost looks like a hole with white fluff growing out if it. I think it is healing though, it looks better.

I can start the Kanaplex tomorrow - could you advise on what I need to do?

You mentioned 100% water change, so I guess ill pop them both in a holding box, drain their tank, refill and add 0.1% salt but NO Melafix.

Then I'm assuming the Kanaplex will have instructions.

I need to start the second round of Prazi on Friday, does Kanaplex stay in the tank? Do I need to re-dose after the 50% water change?

Also, if it kills my cycle how is best to manage that? Check the water readings daily and do small water changes as needed and add the Kanaplex that's removed? And the Prazi too?

Sorry for all the questions, this level of medicating is not something I've done before, appreciate your help!

Thanks

Dawn

:hi Yes, do a 100% water change, then add the Kanaplex and salt tomorrow (no Melafix). You will need to dose the Kanaplex every other day. So, on Friday, you will do a water change, then add the Kanaplex, salt and the Prazi. You will also need to test for ammonia and nitrite daily. On the the days in between water changes, use a double dose of Prime to neutralize the ammonia and nitrite. Please, also only feed them one light meal a day. Follow the dosing directions on the Kanaplex with the exception of stopping after 3 treatments. We will want to go to 10 days. Please touch base with me or another moderator before doing the water change on Friday. Depending on your test levels, we may need to do another 100% water change rather than 50%.

Wednesday: 100% wc + 0.1% salt + Kanaplex

Thursday: Test for ammonia and nitrite and double Prime if necessary

Friday: 50-100% wc and replace salt + Kanaplex + Prazi

Saturday: Test for ammonia and nitrite and double Prime if necessary

Sunday: 50-100% wc and replace salt and Prazi + Kanaplex

Sounds good! So I guess there is no way to save any of my BB? They'll just have to build up with water changes and the tank cycle again?

The fish were perky this morning! :)

Jared or one of the other moderators will need to verify, but what if you put your filter media in another filter on a qt tank (with no fish) that you feed with ammonia periodically? When nitrates get high, then just do water changes.That may keep your BBs alive.

Edited by LisaCGold

Great idea, I have a large plastic container, a spare HOB filter and some ammonia. I could take out some of the ceramic media from my canister and pop it in there for the 10 days then transfer back to my canister at the end of the treatment to jump start the cycle again.

Mods is this ok? Or would that transfer harmful bacteria back to the tank?

If it's ok is putting the media into the box loose ok, or would it need to be actually in the HOB? And should I remove only a small amount from the canister or a large chunk?

Took me sooooo long to cycle this tank first time round, hopeful that won't happen again....!

That is an option. But, there is a chance of reintroducing harmful pathogens when you return the media back to the main tank filter. Any flukes will probably starve without hosts for 10 days, but I would Prazi the plastic container to be sure. It's up to you.

I agree with Jared on treating in the main tank. There is something going on in there that is affecting both fish. Treating in the main tank will hopefully treat whatever is causing the problems with your fish.

Thanks guys :)

100% water change, 0.1% salt, Kanaplex = done last night

Checked ammonia and nitrite this afternoon = both 0

I only have 5g of Kanaplex and my tank is 160litres. At 180mg per 20 Litres I make it that I only have enough for 3 whole doses. 4 doses would be 5.7grams.

Are my maths correct?

Will 3 doses be enough or shall I order some more from the US and hope it arrives in time?

Both fish look great, but are miserable as sin and bottom sitting all day. No red patches and eye looking good though - so that's something!

Thanks guys :)

100% water change, 0.1% salt, Kanaplex = done last night

Checked ammonia and nitrite this afternoon = both 0

I only have 5g of Kanaplex and my tank is 160litres. At 180mg per 20 Litres I make it that I only have enough for 3 whole doses. 4 doses would be 5.7grams.

Are my maths correct?

Will 3 doses be enough or shall I order some more from the US and hope it arrives in time?

Both fish look great, but are miserable as sin and bottom sitting all day. No red patches and eye looking good though - so that's something!

How long did the Kanaplex take to ship last time? I would like to go to 10 days of treatment if possible.

This was sent to me by a nice man who knows some aquatic vets here in the UK so it only took one day to arrive. I have some Kanamycin already on order - does it have to actually be Seachem Kanaplex that I carry on with or if the Kanamycin arrives can I swap to that? Not sure if there is anything extra in Kanaplex or is it just branded?

Kanaplex is kanamycin sulfate as the active ingredient and potassium sulfate as the inactive ingredient. As long as what you're using now is only kanamycin without any other antibiotic you should be able to switch to Kanaplex without a problem. :)

It's the other way round - I'd be switching from Kanaplex to straight kanamycin. So that should be ok?

It's the other way round - I'd be switching from Kanaplex to straight kanamycin. So that should be ok?

Yes :)