Help/Advice for 2 poorly goldfish

DawnyBee

Hi Kat_M,

That is SO kind of you, thank you very much for your offer.

Its so difficult to get any kind of antibiotic here in the UK, this is a life lessen to get some stocks in from the US so I have them on hand next time (hopefully there wont be a next time!)

If the mods can let us know what they think I will need I would be eternally grateful to you :) My fiancé can come pick them up and pay you for them so you don't have to go out of your way at all.

I had a very kind offer from someone I got in touch with who is sending me 5g of Kanaplex today so I should get that tomorrow, then I assume Metro-Meds would be good as I think Koko or Jared mentioned that before, but I'll wait and see what they advise.

Thank you again for your kindness, I'm getting to the end of my options and feeling incredibly helpless, its heartbreaking to see him struggling around the tank and he seems to be getting more freaked out by it. My other fish has barely left his side, its very sweet if it wasn't such horrible circumstance!

x

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Hi Dawn!

I am so sorry to hear your guys are sick! I have been away for a while and only saw your thread today. I live in London and have all sorts of medication, including Metro-Meds and Medi Gold. If moderators think you may need any of those I will be more than happy to share some with you. I hope your fish feel better soon :)

WOW how nice of you hun :hug

• Admin

Kanaplex, Metronidazole or MetroMeds will do the trick I think unless Jared has other thoughts.. :)

I know the "Kanaplex" will be tomorrow but if we can get it started sooner the better :)

SO nice!!

Would you be around tonight Kat if I were to come collect what Koko recommends? I don't want to take too much so what would be best Koko? Metro-Meds? As you say, sooner the better and I can't start Kanaplex until tomorrow evening.

Overwhelmed by the kindness!

If you are going to try Metro Meds, you will need to separate both fish and make sure they each eat the right amount of food for 14 days. Because of this, it might be easier to use the water borne Kanaplex and Metronidazole powders instead along with the Prazi. I would do a 100% water change before starting the antibiotics to remove the Melafix. Discontinue the Melafix at this point, but keep going with the Prazi. The only drawback of the water borne meds is that the Kanaplex will stall your cycle. You will need to Prime and do water changes to manage this.

I would go ahead and get the Metro Meds to have on hand for the future.

Hi Jared,

Norman hand feeds - does that make a difference? In that I can make sure he is eating the Metro-Meds for 14 days no problem.

Squeesh doesnt hand feed though, although she isnt having the same problems as Norman. Would you recommend treating them both though in case she also has an infection?

When doing a 100% water change (I havent done this apart from when moving house) do I remove the fish into a bucket and drain the tank completely then re-fill and acclimatise them to the fresh water?

Do I continue to use salt?

Sorry - millions more questions!!

Thanks

Dawn

Hi Jared,

Norman hand feeds - does that make a difference? In that I can make sure he is eating the Metro-Meds for 14 days no problem.

Squeesh doesnt hand feed though, although she isnt having the same problems as Norman. Would you recommend treating them both though in case she also has an infection?

When doing a 100% water change (I havent done this apart from when moving house) do I remove the fish into a bucket and drain the tank completely then re-fill and acclimatise them to the fresh water?

Do I continue to use salt?

Sorry - millions more questions!!

Thanks

Dawn

If you go with the food, I would just give the Metro Meds to Norman. If Squeesh's eye seems to be healing and doesn't require medication, then don't bother with the waterborne medications. I actually feel that Medi Gold would be better for Squeesh if the eye relapses.

But to cover your bases for the future, it would be good to have:

Metro Meds

Medi Gold

Metronidazole Powder

Kanamycin

This might be the right time to stock these while someone is offering :)

Her eye is healing, although it has two white dots on that growth bit so I hope that isnt a fungal infection starting.

Should I try the following and then can let you know how its going:

• If Kat could spare some Metro-Meds and I can get them tonight then start Norman on those.
  • Carry on with Prazi and Salt.
  • Carry on with Melafix??

In the meantime I have Kanaplex arriving tomorrow and I can order some Medi-Gold and Metronidazole Powder from the US (I dont want to clear Kat out of all meds!!)

Then if Norman doesnt respond to the Metro-Meds we re-evaluate?

I'm completely open to whatever you think is the best course of action regardless of how many water changes or cycle crashes it causes!

Thanks

Dawn

Hi Kat, just seen your message :)

I havent weighed him and dont really have a clue how much he would weigh. He's fat and about the size of my clenched fist.......not that that really helps Im sure!

Would I need to get home and weigh him first do you think?

I can ask my fiancé to come round to collect whatever you can spare today. Just want to see what the mods think of my suggestion above as I dont want to take too much from you, rather just one thing and then I can get the rest on order as back up.....

I will of course pay you for it and really really appreciate the offer!

D

Ah ok I see, in that case I can go home after work and weigh him then head round to yours to pick them up?

Is it ok to buy some Metro-Meds from you then if the mods agree with my suggested course of action above?

I would love to get him started on medication tonight :)

You are such a star! If there is anything I can ever do for you in return just say the word!

Now its fingers crossed I get home and still have a live and kicking fish to weigh!

I will check how long it will take me to get to you and confirm on here what time I can get there for.

Koko, Jared - feel free to jump in if you dont think Metro-Meds is necessarily the best way to go.....Im still open to your suggestions and advice.

D

• Admin

Sure, no problem :) Let me know what time works best for you and I can meet you at the train station.

Thank you so much for helper her hun :thumbs:

Get the Medi Gold as well just in case Squish needs it for the external infection. So, you will need to weigh Squish, too :)

Agree the sooner the better... :)

Can you spare both Metro-Meds and Medi-Gold Kat?

Please feel free to say no if you cant, I dont want to pressure you into giving away too much of your supplies....

Again, thank you for the advice Koko and Jared!!

Hi again Kat,

Just dropping you a quick final message before I rush off home to weigh the fish.

I've been in touch with my other half and he can meet you at 6:45 at the station if that is ok with you? It's quicker than me getting home, weighing them and then getting over to you.

I can have the fish weighed and post their weights on here for you by 6:30 if you want to check back then?

Or if you want to text me with your number my number is xxxxx, then I can text their weights to you.

My fiancé's name is James, he's very nice :) He will be at the station waiting, he will be in his van which is white with an orange letter "i" on it.

Please let me know how much you would like for the meds and James will be able to give it to you.

If you can spare Medi-Gold as well as the Metro-Meds that would be fantastic, but if not then just the Metro-Meds would still be great :)

Thank you again for your help, I really hope this works!

Ill be back on here in about an hour, must dash and catch the tube now!

Speak to you in a bit,

Dawn

Edited by Koko
Keeping your information private

Hi everyone!

The amazing Kat has given me Metro Meds and Medi Gold - now I just need to know what to do with them! :)

Norman is more upright today but still bottom sitting and with serious balance issues.

Squeesh has a bit of cotton wool fluff on the area of her eye/face that burst now. Should I start her on the Medi Gold?

Squeesh weighs 71g

Norman weighs 168g

Also I'm due to dose day 5 of Melafix today - should I continue with it?

Feeling hopeful now I have proper meds thanks to Kat!

• Admin

Hi everyone!

The amazing Kat has given me Metro Meds and Medi Gold - now I just need to know what to do with them! :)

Norman is more upright today but still bottom sitting and with serious balance issues.

Squeesh has a bit of cotton wool fluff on the area of her eye/face that burst now. Should I start her on the Medi Gold?

Squeesh weighs 71g

Norman weighs 168g

Also I'm due to dose day 5 of Melafix today - should I continue with it?

Feeling hopeful now I have proper meds thanks to Kat!

Please take a photo of this eye please:)

• Admin

OK I dont know if you can or want to try. But I would like you to get him and gently wipe that spot with HP. Take a Q-tip and get it wet with Hydrogen Peroxide and gently wip it.. :)

Unfortunately I don't have any HP in the house but can try to get some tomorrow. To be honest though she is very 'flippy' - just weighing her resulted in a complete soaking, I would worry about getting it in her eye? Could I try just wiping with a wet Q-tip with no HP on it?

Should I dose Norman at 1% of his body weight on the Metro Meds now? And should I be carrying on with the rest of the Melafix treatment? I would love to get some Meds in him before I go to bed....?