Help/Advice for 2 poorly goldfish

DawnyBee

Ok no problem, just wasnt sure as you said Melafix is light sensitive - but I dont use a lamp in my tank so Im guessing natural light is ok then.

No you didnt - you said Baktopur! Im losing my marbles :)

Sorry - Ill stop pestering you soon - promise!!
The Fluke-Solve arrived - phew!
I've got 10g of it and the instructions say to use 4g for 1,000 litres of water.
My tank is 160 litres.
Should I use 2 thirds of a gram?? (1000/4 = 250litres/per gram. 2/3 of 250 is 166 - close enough?)
Or can you recommend the dosage?
Thanks!
Dawn

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok no problem, just wasnt sure as you said Melafix is light sensitive - but I dont use a lamp in my tank so Im guessing natural light is ok then.

No you didnt - you said Baktopur! Im losing my marbles :)

Sorry - Ill stop pestering you soon - promise!!
The Fluke-Solve arrived - phew!
I've got 10g of it and the instructions say to use 4g for 1,000 litres of water.
My tank is 160 litres.
Should I use 2 thirds of a gram?? (1000/4 = 250litres/per gram. 2/3 of 250 is 166 - close enough?)
Or can you recommend the dosage?
Thanks!
Dawn

Yes, your calculation is good :)

I have a Bubble disk hooked up to a powerful air pump so there are lots of bubbles and good surface agitation.

Ill test the water every day to make sure it is ok, I really want this to work out.

When I do a water change do I just then add the normal dose of Melafix afterwards? Or do I need to make up for what is removed?

Im still waiting for my Fluke-Solve to arrive. Did Amazon one-day-delivery and they are usually really good but it is 15:45 here and it still hasnt arrived!

Fingers crossed it gets here soon!

D

Yes, just add the normal dose of Melafix :)

By the way, having the salt and the Kanaplex in hand for the future is a really good thing, so you didn't waste your money getting them. Kanaplex is my favorite antibiotic and we will need it if the Melafix doesn't do the job. If you ever have the opportunity to get you hands on Metronidazole powder, get that too.

Thank you Jared! Im glad Ill have a good antibiotic on hand :)

With the Fluke-Solve am I only doing one dose as detailed above and that is it?

So Fluke-Solve and the 2nd dose of Melafix tonight, then just Melafix for the 5 days afterwards?

Thank you Jared! Im glad Ill have a good antibiotic on hand :)

With the Fluke-Solve am I only doing one dose as detailed above and that is it?

So Fluke-Solve and the 2nd dose of Melafix tonight, then just Melafix for the 5 days afterwards?

Yes, just one dose of Fluke Solve. It needs to stay in the water for four days and then we will do 3 days of no Prazi. Prazi becomes inactive active 4 days. The 3 days after allows the Fluke eggs that have survived to hatch and then we zap them again with Prazi on Day 8. If you need to do a water change before day 5 of the Prazi, then you will need to replace the amount of Prazi that you removed. I usually do a 50% or more water change before I start a Prazi treatment. Here is the 7-Day Prazi protocol we recommend:

A. SEVEN DAY ROUNDS

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 12: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 19: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

And let's go ahead and salt the water to 0.1% while we Prazi. Salt is fine to use with Melafix.

Ok great, Ill do a 50% water change tonight, add 0.1% salt, add Melafix and add the Prazi.

Ill then stick to your schedule and complete the 4 rounds of Prazi.

Ill keep you updated with how the fish react and with water parameters.

Thanks again!

D

Ok great, Ill do a 50% water change tonight, add 0.1% salt, add Melafix and add the Prazi.

Ill then stick to your schedule and complete the 4 rounds of Prazi.

Ill keep you updated with how the fish react and with water parameters.

Thanks again!

D

Perfect! You are doing great!!!

I will not be around tomorrow because I have to work and then go to a wedding. So, if you need help and no one responds here, just hit the report button and ask someone for help :)

Hi guys,

I know Jared isn't available today and I'm not sure this is important enough to hit the Report button but I just wanted to put it out there in case anyone sees this and has an opinion.

Norman has been flipping over now and then the past few days but it has been getting worse and since I put the meds in last night he is spending more time on his back than his front and is struggling to right himself (whereas before he was righting himself really easily)

Last night I did a 50% water change, added 0.1% salt, 20mls Melafix and 2/3 of a gram of Fluke-Solve (my tank is 160 litres).

Do you think this is because of the suspected bacterial infection? And is any of the treatment so far going to help with that or do I really need to find a way to get my hands on some Metro?

He looks ten times better in terms of red patches etc, it's just so sad to see him lying on his back, do you think it'll pass as he gets better?

Thanks

Dawn

Yep, New Life Spectrum pellets. I was going to give them some veggies but they make such a mess with them I didn't want them to mess the water too much. Should I give him some courgette or some spinach maybe?

Ok will do, I gave him a pea to see if it would help him along but no poop yet.

Squeesh seems absolutely fine on the meds, she's really active. Norman is spending the majority of his time laying on his side, not sure if it's a reaction to the meds or because of whatever is going on inside him.

I tested the water just now:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 40

PH: 8.2

KH: 10

So sad seeing him struggling on his back, is he ok like that do you think? He's got a red patch on his back and dorsal - seems to be the very spot he rests on so it must be getting irritated.

Having trouble getting the video to load at the moment but will keep trying. He's lying on the bottom of the tank, always on his left hand side. He'll get up and swim around if I go to the tank, but he's a bit lopsided, tilts to the left, then he'll swim for a bit before sinking back down and lying on the bottom again.

Managed to load the video: http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim77C14233-0D4D-44A6-B180-DC7A86CDE5AD.mp4.html?o=0

What you see at the beginning is what he's mostly doing, just lying on his side. But then he gets up and swims around because he can see me at the tank. That red patch only appeared once he started bottom laying, it was there initially when I came to you guys for help but it went away with the numerous water changes and Melafix, now it's back I presume because he is always laying on that spot.

Managed to load the video: http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim77C14233-0D4D-44A6-B180-DC7A86CDE5AD.mp4.html?o=0

What you see at the beginning is what he's mostly doing, just lying on his side. But then he gets up and swims around because he can see me at the tank. That red patch only appeared once he started bottom laying, it was there initially when I came to you guys for help but it went away with the numerous water changes and Melafix, now it's back I presume because he is always laying on that spot.

I don't think this is due to constipation, but let's fast him for a day or so to be sure. We need that Kanaplex to arrive. Does the Melafix seem to be helping the external issues for both fish?

• Admin

Managed to load the video: http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Mobile Uploads/trim77C14233-0D4D-44A6-B180-DC7A86CDE5AD.mp4.html?o=0

I don't think this is due to constipation, but let's fast him for a day or so to be sure. We need that Kanaplex to arrive. Does the Melafix seem to be helping the external issues for both fish?

I agree looks like an internal bacterial infection :(

It's so horrible to see him like that :(

The Melafix worked on the red patches and Squeesh's open wound healed up although I've just noticed she has 2 white dots on it now. One tiny one like a grain of salt, very white, and one not quite as salt-like but still a white dot on the area that was open and has now closed. An infection?

I think the kanamycin will be another week before it gets here, is there anything at all I can use to help him before then?

It's so horrible to see him like that :(

The Melafix worked on the red patches and Squeesh's open wound healed up although I've just noticed she has 2 white dots on it now. One tiny one like a grain of salt, very white, and one not quite as salt-like but still a white dot on the area that was open and has now closed. An infection?

I think the kanamycin will be another week before it gets here, is there anything at all I can use to help him before then?

Can you call your Local Fish Store and ask them what antibiotics they have for internal bacterial infections? Then post them, so we can see?

I can do that in the morning, it's 20:25 here so stores are all shut but I'll call them first thing.

My fiancé has found 2 stores that stock Kanaplex - is that any good? Think that has kanamycin in it?

Yes! That's what I use. See if they also have Metronidazole.

Hi Dawn!

I am so sorry to hear your guys are sick! I have been away for a while and only saw your thread today. I live in London and have all sorts of medication, including Metro-Meds and Medi Gold. If moderators think you may need any of those I will be more than happy to share some with you. I hope your fish feel better soon :)