Sign in to follow this  
DawnyBee

Help/Advice for 2 poorly goldfish

You will want to look for "Fluke-Solve" that will have the Prazi hun.. as for Metro its "Metronidazole" they are two different kinds hun :)

The mods say that flake food is good hun... I think we need to do this fast. As I dont want that eye to get infected.

Keep the Epsom salt in there for now hun and also do another water change.. your Ph looks good... As for the nitrates... We will see what we can think of...

I will see if there is a member close to you that might have the Metro

Right Im on it - I can get this delivered by tomorrow: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetark-Professional-Fluke-Solve-10/dp/B007WEYH60/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411049065&sr=8-3&keywords=fluke+solve

Does that look ok? Or my LFS has other fluke treatment that has Prazi in it which I can pick up tonight after work.

Which would you recommend - waiting til tomorrow for Fluke-Solve or going with another prazi based med that I can get tonight?

They dont have anything with Kanamycin in it - I dont think the UK has that really, they had no idea what I was talking about and Ive seen lots of other people post about not having it in the UK.

Is there any other antibiotic I could use? Can I treat the water with antbiotics? The LFS say they dont have any antibiotic foods, but do have water treatments.

Those Flakes I mentioned wont get delivered until end of next week at the earliest which is too late isnt it?

So when I get home tonight Ill do another 50% water change and then add a teaspoon of Epsom salt to the tank.

Ill wait to hear what you think about the meds......

Thanks!

O rder the Fluke Solve. But, also go ahead and stop by our LFS tonight like you mentioned and try to get Baktopur Direct and start that immediately. It's Nifurprinol (Nitrofuran) for gram negative and positive bacterial infections and is available in Europe.

If you can't get the antibiotics, you could just try 0.3% salt or Melafix. This may work now that the eye has popped. However, the head-down / tail-up floating makes us think there might be an internal infection rather than a SB problem.

Though this might not get there in enough time. I would order it anyway and keep on hand..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Kanamycin-Sulfate-Powder-Fish-Medication-Antibiotic-Dropsy-Tuberculosis-Etc-/171291474966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27e1c47c16

Hello me again,

I need to leave the office now and have trouble getting the forum up on my phone.

What Im going to do is get the fluke meds which contain prazi from the LFS as its quicker than waiting for actual Fluke-Solve to be delivered.

Ill also get some antibiotics, it will have to be water treatment antibiotics but that has to be better than nothing when she has an open sore.

Ill also get the Epsom salts.

When I get home Ill check on here again before taking any action - but what I intend to do is a 50% water change, add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salts and then follow the instructions on the meds for adding the fluke treatment and the antibiotics.

As I said, Ill check on here first just in case you dont think I should be doing the above - but if there is no reply Ill go ahead with that treatment rather than wait and her get an infection or them both go even further downhill.

I completely understand you are helping lots of people with their problems so I don't expect you to jump on every post I make and I really appreciate all the help so far :) I would be in a complete state without your help and advice!

Im so worried about them I dont want to leave it too long to get some treatment in the tank.

Thank you again! Ill pop back on here in a couple of hours.

Dawn

your doing good hun...

Just seen your post! Oops!! Ignore my last post :)

Never :teehee

Yeah you got it.... But we also want to keep a close eye on the reading too.. :) Water readings.

When you get your meds post what kind you got :)

Ive ordered the fluke solve, it will arrive tomorrow.

Will try to get Baktopur Direct.

I will order the kanamycin - how much do you think I would need? 7.5g or 15g? Im not sure how much I would be using.

Shall I get some water based antibiotics as well? They definitely dont do antibiotic food - I asked them on the phone.

Also - 0.3% salt - is that regular aquarium salt? Or Epsom salt?

Thanks!

Dawn

I ordered 15g :) they had a calculation chart further down the page :)

Will grab some bits from the LFS now and let you know what Ive got before treating.

Speak to you in a bit!

D

Ive ordered the fluke solve, it will arrive tomorrow.

Will try to get Baktopur Direct.

I will order the kanamycin - how much do you think I would need? 7.5g or 15g? Im not sure how much I would be using.

Shall I get some water based antibiotics as well? They definitely dont do antibiotic food - I asked them on the phone.

Also - 0.3% salt - is that regular aquarium salt? Or Epsom salt?

Thanks!

Dawn

:hi Koko and I have been chatting.

The Bactopur Direct is a water based antibiotic and is all you will need in addition to the Fluke Solve.

0.3% salt = aquarium or canning/pickling salt not Epsom. Only add this if you can't get the antibiotics.

Ok I'm home and I have:

Epsom salt

Regular aquarium salt

Baktopur

Melafix

On order:

Fluke-Solve - arriving tomorrow

Kanamycin - arriving in 2 weeks or so

I'm going to test the tank water now and await your instruction :)

D

Ok I'm home and I have:

Epsom salt

Regular aquarium salt

Baktopur

Melafix

On order:

Fluke-Solve - arriving tomorrow

Kanamycin - arriving in 2 weeks or so

I'm going to test the tank water now and await your instruction :)

D

I need to make sure you got the Bactopur Direct and not the Bactopur with Acriflavine. The ingredient we want is Nifurprinol. Nifurprinol is light-sensitive, so please keep the tank dark while you use it. Let's get any other meds out of the tank before starting this. Also, make sure there is no carbon in your filters.

Hi Jared, was just about to post - I asked for Baktopur Direct and having just checked it they have given me just Baktopur.

Ive looked at the ingredients and it says Acriflavinil monochloridum

Im guessing thats the wrong one?

Argh - that is SO annoying when I specifically asked for Baktopur Direct. My own fault I suppose, I should have checked, but Ive never used this or even heard of it before so assumed it was the correct stuff.

Ok - so seeing as I'm guessing I cant use that - would you recommend a 50% water change and Epsom salt? Or Melafix? Im worried about her eye :(

I will take this Baktopur back tomorrow and see if they have the correct one. The Fluke-Solve will arrive tomorrow too.

Oh Im so annoyed with myself, wish I had checked it in the shop :(

Hi Jared, was just about to post - I asked for Baktopur Direct and having just checked it they have given me just Baktopur.

Argh - that is SO annoying when I specifically asked for Baktopur Direct. My own fault I suppose, I should have checked, but Ive never used this or even heard of it before so assumed it was the correct stuff.

Ok - so seeing as I'm guessing I cant use that - would you recommend a 50% water change and Epsom salt? Or Melafix? Im worried about her eye :(

I will take this Baktopur back tomorrow and see if they have the correct one. The Fluke-Solve will arrive tomorrow too.

It's okay....give me a second :)

It's okay....give me a second :)

It's possible they don't have the Baktopur Direct, so let's switch gears. What is in the water right now? Are the fish active and eating?

There was 0.1% aquarium salt in it but since then I have done two 50% water changes so I imagine there isn't much left.

Other than that there is only Prime in there.

They are more active today than they have been for the past week. Norman has flipped a couple of times but then righted himself.

They have eaten and are rooting around for more :) piggies :)

There was 0.1% aquarium salt in it but since then I have done two 50% water changes so I imagine there isn't much left.

Other than that there is only Prime in there.

They are more active today than they have been for the past week. Norman has flipped a couple of times but then righted himself.

They have eaten and are rooting around for more :) piggies :)

Okay, don't use the Baktopur (just return it). We have a couple of options:

1) You can try the Melafix today, which might help with both the eye and the red spots and won't kill your tank cycle. Then, we can touch base tomorrow after you receive the Prazi and see if the Melafix has helped. Don't add the Prazi until after you have conferred with either Koko, myself or another moderator. I need to check on the compatibility of Melafix and Prazi.

or

2) You can call the store and see if they have the Baktopur Direct and exchange the Baktopur for that tomorrow.

I think I would like to try the Melafix tonight to stave off any possible infection - she is rooting around looking for food which means dragging that open wound around the bottom of the tank - Im worried something will get in there.

Plus the store is closed now and I have no idea if they will have the correct Baktopur and will have wasted a day that could have been spent helping them.

Do you think that is a good option?

Do I do a 50% water change and add 5mls Melafix per 10gallons - so 20mls for my 160 litre (42 US gals) tank ?

Or what is your recommended dosage/procedure.

Thanks again for your help!!

Or can I just add the Melafix to the tank now seeing as I did 50% water change yesterday?

I tested the parameters of the tank this evening:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 40 (they always are, even out of the tap)

PH - 8.4

KH 9

Thanks

Dawn

Hey guys, Im logging off now as I have to get up at 6am :(

I added 20mls to the tank without doing a water change as I figured I may have to do a water change tomorrow to get it out if Im to use the Prazi.

Ill log on again tomorrow and chat to you then.

Fingers crossed this helps them out a bit!

Thanks for your help and advice, hopefully I'll sleep a bit easier tonight :)

Dawn

Thank you Jared :)

Yes Dawn your okay by doing that. If anything the PRazi and Melafix dont mix we can do a water changes to get it out :)

Okay, it looks like Melafix and Prazi are okay to use together. So, go ahead with the Prazi tomorrow. It may take 4 days in Melafix before the fish show improvement. But, the good thing about Melafix is that it won't harm your cycle which will help to manage the water parameters. Please test the water daily and let us know how the fish are doing :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I was so worried getting home last night thinking they might not have survived the day - but they were actually looking pretty good! I think being a worry wart is better than not caring though, so Ill continue to worry about them :)

So the Melafix says a 7 day dose for open wounds and then a 25% water change. Ill continue dosing it for the next 6 days then do the water change.

Ill follow the Fluke Solve instructions tonight and get that going.

Is it worth throwing a blanket over the tank during the day for the Melafix treatment? Our lounge is nice and bright but the tank isnt in direct sunlight. Will a bright room be too much for it? I can cover it in the day and take it off in the evening if you think that is a good idea. Or is that over-cautious?

My order of kanamycin has been dispatched :)

Ill leave all the salt treatment, at least I have a good supply of it now though!

Ill test the water tonight and let you know how it looks.

Thanks again, fingers crossed things will start looking up for the wee guys :)

This is them when they were fit and healthy, and a bit younger/smaller - I know Im biased, but how gorgeous?!?! :)

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/squeesh2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=35

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/squeesh1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=38

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Normsingin.jpg.html?sort=3&o=17

http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/dawnyb1/media/Norrmstars.jpg.html?sort=3&o=18

Cute Pics :)

Please, don't put a blanket over the tank. We want plenty of air to be able to get to the tank while the Melafix is in the water. You may need to do a water change before the 7-day Melafix is done to keep you water parameters healthy and that is fine. Please keep testing for pH, ammonia, nitrite, etc. Do you have an air stone running?

Ok no problem, just wasnt sure as you said Melafix is light sensitive - but I dont use a lamp in my tank so Im guessing natural light is ok then.

I have a Bubble disk hooked up to a powerful air pump so there are lots of bubbles and good surface agitation.

Ill test the water every day to make sure it is ok, I really want this to work out.

When I do a water change do I just then add the normal dose of Melafix afterwards? Or do I need to make up for what is removed?

Im still waiting for my Fluke-Solve to arrive. Did Amazon one-day-delivery and they are usually really good but it is 15:45 here and it still hasnt arrived!

Fingers crossed it gets here soon!

D