Sign in to follow this  
DawnyBee

Help/Advice for 2 poorly goldfish

Oh, Dawn, Thank you for the update. Rest in peace, Norman and Squeesh.

Thanks guys, it was definitely the right thing to do but doesn't make it any less painful.

I love keeping fish and will definitely get some more at some point. I'm trying to keep my cycle alive with ammonia and fish food at the moment as I don't really want to start from scratch again. As both fish's illness seemed to be under-lying problems - tumour and kidney malfunction/disease (probably exacerbated and brought to the front by letting my water quality slip) I think my tank should be fine for some more fish. They lived a happy healthy 3.5 years in it until I got complacent. 

I'm going to think on it this week and keep the cycle going, then I have one of my best friends and her 2 year old daughter coming to stay at the weekend so I thought I might take them to the fish shop and let the little one pick out a fish that she can have as a pet that stays at my house (her mum is too busy for pets even though she would love one)

I think I could deal with that, its doing something nice for a little girl and doesnt feel like Im replacing Norman and Squeesh, They were special fish - none can replace them,

Will see how I feel at the weekend. Might be nice to have a couple of new tiny wrigglers in there - the empty tank is so sad to look at.

I'll prazi any newbies following the protocol you guys advise.

So if I do get any Ill post some photos on here for you to see.

Thanks

Dawn

Thanks guys, it was definitely the right thing to do but doesn't make it any less painful.

I love keeping fish and will definitely get some more at some point. I'm trying to keep my cycle alive with ammonia and fish food at the moment as I don't really want to start from scratch again. As both fish's illness seemed to be under-lying problems - tumour and kidney malfunction/disease (probably exacerbated and brought to the front by letting my water quality slip) I think my tank should be fine for some more fish. They lived a happy healthy 3.5 years in it until I got complacent. 

I'm going to think on it this week and keep the cycle going, then I have one of my best friends and her 2 year old daughter coming to stay at the weekend so I thought I might take them to the fish shop and let the little one pick out a fish that she can have as a pet that stays at my house (her mum is too busy for pets even though she would love one)

I think I could deal with that, its doing something nice for a little girl and doesnt feel like Im replacing Norman and Squeesh, They were special fish - none can replace them,

Will see how I feel at the weekend. Might be nice to have a couple of new tiny wrigglers in there - the empty tank is so sad to look at.

I'll prazi any newbies following the protocol you guys advise.

So if I do get any Ill post some photos on here for you to see.

Thanks

Dawn

Dawn,

I had been thinking about your recent issues with your fish, keeping your tank cycle going after your babies have passed, and introducing new fish to the tank. I had been thinking about whether you needed to disinfect your tank or not. I consulted with the mods on this. Here is the information for your consideration.

Helen indicated that if you are sure there are no infections or parasites, your tank need not be disinfected but should be scrubbed and your filter media cleaned.

Shakaho said that tumors can be viral and contagious. She also wrote, "Remove the filter to a bucket of water with a few drops of ammonia to pamper the biobugs, changing the water every day to give the filter a good rinsing. Meanwhile, scrub and disinfect the tank and any ornaments she has in there. Before putting the filter back in scrub the filter "box" well and replace mechanical filtration."

Both Helen and Shakaho have not reread this entire thread. They've given these recommendations based on a very brief summary from me.

I hope this helps.

If it were me, and I had lost both fish, I would break the tank down, disinfect , completely dry everything and then start over.