I picked up my goldfish and eggs came out!

*Amanda*

Oh wow ... I was just doing a routine hand examination of my fish. When I got to Panache, my orange veiltail, I noticed her belly was slightly soft and enlarged (but not like a bacterial infection). When I let her go, she released probably 50 eggs!! I was very shocked, to say the least. She is just acting normal, like nothing happened. Gordo, my male butterfly, has prominent breeding stars, but is still ignoring her, and did not attempt to fertilize the eggs. He spawned with my pompom, Cookie, 2 weeks ago.

Has this ever happened to anyone else unexpectedly like this? Is it bad?

Well, I just put a spawning mop in, so hopefully they will make use of it! :) I'll be watching! :popcorn Except now I'm not afraid of hand spawning - at least with Panache, seeing as how I did not apply ANY pressure and she still released the eggs! Out of curiosity, would Gordo release milt with hand spawning if chasing had not begun? The eggs have all dropped now so it's too late this time, but I'm just curious. I thought he had to already be chasing in order to hand spawn successfully.

Edited by *Amanda*

Now I'm wondering if the reason my eggs haven't been hatching is because Gordo isn't doing his job. :idont He seems utterly uninterested in the females. But then, his breeding stars look much more prominent after I see eggs in the tank, so maybe he is and I just haven't been there to witness it.

I got a new fish that released eggs in the qt. I was checking her out after, and with very gentle pressure, she dropped a bunch more eggs. It was quite a surprise!

Well, that's good - I take it your fish didn't suffer any ill effects? Yes, it was quite shocking to see - completely unexpected!

They seem terrified of the spawning mop. It must look like a giant octopus to them. :rofl

I have a similar experience.

A couple of days ago I was watching my fish and they were all bunched together frantically looking for food. Turns out that my large female was releasing 10-20 eggs every time she'd turn around. I also have a few large males in there with breeding stars and they were also not interested in her. I scooped her up and lots of eggs came out! I gently massaged her belly whilst in the tank until the eggs weren't coming out as easily (hundreds of them). My partner said it looked like snow. That was the goldies special treat for that day. I let her go in the tank and she was fine. Was more interested in eating the eggs.....

As for hand spawning I have tried it a couple of times with her and another fish. It isn't as scary like you said but I think that you need to make sure the female is full of eggs as its really easy for them to come out. That way you don't hurt her insides. As for males and milt, I've found that some have more than others and you gently press their bellies and it comes out. I haven't been too successful with hand spawning tho. My eggs go all white and fuzzy....

A couple of days ago I was watching my fish and they were all bunched together frantically looking for food. Turns out that my large female was releasing 10-20 eggs every time she'd turn around. I also have a few large males in there with breeding stars and they were also not interested in her. I scooped her up and lots of eggs came out! I gently massaged her belly whilst in the tank until the eggs weren't coming out as easily (hundreds of them). My partner said it looked like snow. That was the goldies special treat for that day. I let her go in the tank and she was fine. Was more interested in eating the eggs.....

As for hand spawning I have tried it a couple of times with her and another fish. It isn't as scary like you said but I think that you need to make sure the female is full of eggs as its really easy for them to come out. That way you don't hurt her insides. As for males and milt, I've found that some have more than others and you gently press their bellies and it comes out. I haven't been too successful with hand spawning tho. My eggs go all white and fuzzy....

Yeah, I was thinking of hand spawning because my fish are in a display tank where I cannot raise fry. When I have tried to remove the few eggs that are left after I come home, they do not hatch (I think this is because they are sensitive and need to be kept in the tank, where there is current and aeration. I had great success using floating breeding baskets in the past, but that was when I was there to catch the eggs as they fell from the fish). I have considered putting the adults in a separate tank for spawning, but I am rarely home to supervise this and cannot know when it will happen. The people here and my Fancy Goldfish book both advise doing things to initiate spawning after a heavy rain, but I live in California where we are in the midst of a massive drought and we don't really get seasons like most other parts of the country do. The weather is weird here! [emoji4]

I hope my fish will make use of the spawning mop I have put in the tank, as that would really help to protect the eggs before I get home from work. Unfortunately, they seem rather intimidated by it! [emoji53]

Yeah, I was thinking of hand spawning because my fish are in a display tank where I cannot raise fry. When I have tried to remove the few eggs that are left after I come home, they do not hatch (I think this is because they are sensitive and need to be kept in the tank, where there is current and aeration. I had great success using floating breeding baskets in the past, but that was when I was there to catch the eggs as they fell from the fish). I have considered putting the adults in a separate tank for spawning, but I am rarely home to supervise this and cannot know when it will happen. The people here and my Fancy Goldfish book both advise doing things to initiate spawning after a heavy rain, but I live in California where we are in the midst of a massive drought and we don't really get seasons like most other parts of the country do. The weather is weird here! [emoji4]

I hope my fish will make use of the spawning mop I have put in the tank, as that would really help to protect the eggs before I get home from work. Unfortunately, they seem rather intimidated by it! [emoji53]

Totally understand about the weather! I'm down in Brisbane Australia and we have similar weather. Very hot and dry with very little rain. Haven't seen decent rainfall in a very long time...

My godlies are in a display tank too so I'm waiting for the other females (mainly ryukins) to spawn. I tend to feed them a little more to encourage the females to make eggs. Other than that, I just wait and wait and wait... until some spawning action happens!! Usually the good spawns occur about 4-5 in the morning when it is still dark and they continue for a couple of hours. I also miss out most of the time as I like to stay in bed.

I'm not sure what you are using for a spawing mop but I have been using a big bunch of elodea tied down. This is under the outlet of my pump so water flows over it. I find that the eggs attach in a lot of places that the other fish can't get too whether it be in the middle or on the under side of the leaves. If I see some eggs attached, I just take the plant out and put it in a half filled two foot tank and an air pump. I find that there are LOTS of eggs that I don't see and usually end up with hundreds of fry. Even tho I can only count 10 eggs at most!

Here's a pic of what I have in my tank at the moment. Hope this helps!

20140916_090558_resized_zps8e57f7de.jpg

I am using spawning mops made out of yarn. It has a cork in the top, which allows it to float.

I might add some elodea too - that's what I used when I had success last year. Plus, it's pretty. :) A few months ago, I tried water lettuce, but my fish did not spawn in it and the roots ended up in my filter. It was a total disaster and it took hours to clean my filter and tubing.

The funny thing is that my successful spawning last year was completely unintentional. I just looked over at my boyfriend's tank at midnight and was like, "hey look, I think that's spawning!" Now that I am actually trying, I am having no luck, haha. But the main difference is that the first time I was lucky enough to be there when it happened, and take action. My main objective now is to protect the eggs until I get home, since my fish apparently like to spawn in the late morning or afternoon while I am at work - not at dawn like they're supposed to. :)

Panache is VERY eggy now - I can even see the difference on her right side, which I haven't been able to in the past. She is pestering Gordo, but he is totally uninterested in her "advances" ... :wub:

At least she's swimming into the spawning mop now, like she's getting ready. :)

Out of curiosity, would Gordo release milt with hand spawning if chasing had not begun?

In short, yes....

Even males that are not actively chasing or have breeding stars produce milt IF there are females around producing hormones. In theory the hormone/feromone level in the water is a key factor in this. If the male has breeding stars im pretty sure it has milt. I did handspawn my ranchu aswell, no problem at all if you have everything you need at the ready and can controll your nerves ;)

Ive seen a handspawning tutorial linked here on the forum, in this tutorial the process is being explained very clearly by this goldfish guru. Things i think are most important are how you hold the fish in you handpalm(it allmost seems the fish relax because the warmth of your hand when holding them correctly), not to overspawn a bowl and to wirl the water like shown(to distribute the eggs and milt but i have seen my fish spontaneously keep spawning by movement of the water.

You cannot handspawn females that are not yet releasing eggs!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/108729-hand-spawning-videos/?hl=handspawning#entry1435115

Good luck!