Crazy filter question

andry6

It is definitely the filters. I do clean them with either a brush or a paper towel, but not with every water change. And I have a 29 gallon tank with 400 gph filtration, so I'm definitely not under filtered. :P

I just can't seem to get past the smell. My husband says I'm like a blood hound. No one else smells it but me!! (unless they stick their nose right in the filter). I can smell it from several feet away.

Are you pregnant? :hug

I have a very sensitive sniffer, but you have me beat :o

No, I'm not pregnant, but you should have seen me when I was! I couldn't stand the smell of anything in my house. :no: I had to switch to unscented EVERYTHING...laundry soap, ivory soap, shampoo...otherwise I would throw up at the drop of a hat. :ill I couldn't stand to smell every day "good" smells, not even food. I have three kids and each time it got worse. That was how I knew I was pregnant...my sense of smell really kicked into overdrive!

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes notice a slightly earthy smell in mine but I don't think it smells bad. Of course I also am not bothered by the smell of fish food so maybe I'm not a good judge since that seems to bother a lot of people. Usually there isn't much smell at all.

I gently squeeze everything out weekly in old tank water and haven't noticed any bumps in my cycle, so it never really gets that dirty. I buy filter floss in bulk and have a refillable bag and can just toss that part out.

Just a thought, but have you tried adding the carbon into your filter? You don't need it but it's supposed to be good at absorbing odors, and with how often you change the cartridges out anyway you wouldn't need to worry that much about it. If you find that it works you can buy it in bulk and use a refillable bag. Only downside is you have to rinse it super well or it'll turn your media black coming back through the filter (the few times I've used it to pull something out of the water I put the pre-filter sponge on the intake so I can rinse it out a couple times a day for the first couple days).