Crazy filter question

andry6

Ok...I have an over active sense of smell and I'm just wondering if anyone else can smell their filter when you are near your tank.

I just finished watching how to change your filter media from a cartridge to filter floss and ceramic media. I have two HOB filters on my tank with cartridges (minus the carbon) along with ceramic media in both. I alternate replacing the cartridges every few weeks because I think they stink! I can't imagine keeping filter floss in a tank for months and months!! I rinse the cartridges out in tank water with every water change to get the extra "stuff" out, but I just can't seem to get over the smell.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Note: I have never experienced a cycle bump doing it this way either and have had the tank cycled for almost a year and a half. I'm pretty sure the ceramic media is keeping it going.

I have heard of others being over sensitive to the smell.

Do you ever clean out the box that your media stays in? Sometimes that gets bunked up with grime.

Sometimes it can be caused from being under filtered if it is causing stagnant water.

Are you only smelling it from the filter or could it be from the tank itself?

I hope it all sorts out soon. :)

The smell really bothers me, too. I was cleaning out my canister once a month, but now am every other week because it literally smells like cooked poop to me when I wait too long to clean it ... ugh. My boyfriend hardly ever cleans out his filters. I think I just don't notice the smell when I am over there because his apartment smells really, really bad anyway.

I use the blue bonded filter pads on HOBs along with the Biomax, and it saves a lot of money compared to buying cartridges all the time. I just buy a big sheet of it and it lasts a really long time: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+25534&pcatid=25534

I have heard of others being over sensitive to the smell.

Do you ever clean out the box that your media stays in? Sometimes that gets bunked up with grime.

Sometimes it can be caused from being under filtered if it is causing stagnant water.

Are you only smelling it from the filter or could it be from the tank itself?

I hope it all sorts out soon. :)

I think you might be on to something with the stagnant water. The horrible cooked-poop smell was when my filter tubes were nearly clogged, which slowed the water flow down considerably. Hopefully, when I clean it out tomorrow it won't be nearly as bad, since I finally figured out how to clean my long filter tubes (I made a post in the DIY section). :D

It is definitely the filters. I do clean them with either a brush or a paper towel, but not with every water change. And I have a 29 gallon tank with 400 gph filtration, so I'm definitely not under filtered. :P

I just can't seem to get past the smell. My husband says I'm like a blood hound. No one else smells it but me!! (unless they stick their nose right in the filter). I can smell it from several feet away.

The smell really bothers me, too. I was cleaning out my canister once a month, but now am every other week because it literally smells like cooked poop to me when I wait too long to clean it ... ugh. My boyfriend hardly ever cleans out his filters. I think I just don't notice the smell when I am over there because his apartment smells really, really bad anyway.

I use the blue bonded filter pads on HOBs along with the Biomax, and it saves a lot of money compared to buying cartridges all the time. I just buy a big sheet of it and it lasts a really long time: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+25534&pcatid=25534

I bought some of that stuff, used it once and ended up going back to the cartridges. I just can't imagine keeping them until they fall apart...which could take a very, very long time! I could only think that my house would start to smell like a stinky fish tank! And being a clean freak that I am, that really freaks me out! :teehee

You keep the ceramic rings though, right? And so far no cycle bump?

Then I see nothing wrong with doing it now you're doing it.

Additionally you could use a non aerosol air freshener. I do this too since I also have cats and dogs, and I love the cheap little cones like Renuzit Adjustables, especially the "Cotton Breeze" scent.

Another cheap trick would be to set an open box of baking soda securely on top of your tank. This absorbs quite a bit of unpleasant odors.

I bought some of that stuff, used it once and ended up going back to the cartridges. I just can't imagine keeping them until they fall apart...which could take a very, very long time! I could only think that my house would start to smell like a stinky fish tank! And being a clean freak that I am, that really freaks me out! :teehee
I agree. In a clean-smelling house it is really noticeable. I rinse my sponge in tank water every 2 weeks, and change them out once a month. So basically, I'm doing the same thing most people do with cartridges ... only with a filter pad instead of a cartridge. [emoji4]

You keep the ceramic rings though, right? And so far no cycle bump?

Then I see nothing wrong with doing it now you're doing it.

Additionally you could use a non aerosol air freshener. I do this too since I also have cats and dogs, and I love the cheap little cones like Renuzit Adjustables, especially the "Cotton Breeze" scent.

Another cheap trick would be to set an open box of baking soda securely on top of your tank. This absorbs quite a bit of unpleasant odors.

Yes, I keep the rings. And never had a cycle bump. I really did want to switch from the cartridges just to save some money. I may try the baking soda trick and see if that works. I never thought of that!

Do you have all your four fish in your 29g?

The old Japanese breeders would know when the water needed changed by the smell. Fun fact :)

Nope, just the two fancies - a fantail (92 grams) and an oranda (67 grams). But I'm looking to upgrade now so I can put them all together :thumb: (the other two are common/comets that are each 3 grams - tiny little guys!)

Edited by andry6

Don't even dare ask how you would know what that smells like. :yikes

:rofl3

Maybe I don't smell mine cuz my house smells really badly. :o

The smell really bothers me, too. I was cleaning out my canister once a month, but now am every other week because it literally smells like cooked poop to me when I wait too long to clean it

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110223191805AA6VXfL

The smell really bothers me, too. I was cleaning out my canister once a month, but now am every other week because it literally smells like cooked poop to me when I wait too long to clean it

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110223191805AA6VXfL

:yikes:scared:yikes

Hahaha thank goodness I don't know from personal experience, but if I had to guess I would say it probably smells like my filter did when the tubes got backed up!

:rofl

It is definitely the filters. I do clean them with either a brush or a paper towel, but not with every water change. And I have a 29 gallon tank with 400 gph filtration, so I'm definitely not under filtered. :P

I just can't seem to get past the smell. My husband says I'm like a blood hound. No one else smells it but me!! (unless they stick their nose right in the filter). I can smell it from several feet away.

Are you pregnant? :hug

I have a very sensitive sniffer, but you have me beat :o

I don't smell anything from my filters. Once a month I do take it all apart and give the filter box (inside) and intake tubes a good wash/scrub. Usually, every other month (if not monthly) I'll even take the motor out from my aqua clear and kind of gently wipe that little part out. I've been really good about rinsing my sponges out about every ten days along with my ceramic media. Even though this all holds good beneficial bacteria it can also house bad bacteria, host nasties, especially during the hot months and than attack the fish. I've had no problem with my losing my cycle with my maintenance schedule.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but instead of using those cartridges you can always by an aqua clear sponge for the size of filter you have. I've done this with my past aqueon 55/75 filter. It worked amazingly. I think I stuffed a total of three smaller a/c's. One on top of another one and the third one on it's side. All you had to do was take them out and give them a good rinse as needed for your maintenance schedule.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I don't smell anything from my filters. Once a month I do take it all apart and give the filter box (inside) and intake tubes a good wash/scrub. Usually, every other month (if not monthly) I'll even take the motor out from my aqua clear and kind of gently wipe that little part out. I've been really good about rinsing my sponges out about every ten days along with my ceramic media. Even though this all holds good beneficial bacteria it can also house bad bacteria, host nasties, especially during the hot months and than attack the fish. I've had no problem with my losing my cycle with my maintenance schedule.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but instead of using those cartridges you can always by an aqua clear sponge for the size of filter you have. I've done this with my past aqueon 55/75 filter. It worked amazingly. I think I stuffed a total of three smaller a/c's. One on top of another one and the third one on it's side. All you had to do was take them out and give them a good rinse as needed for your maintenance schedule.

Huh, that's interesting about the AC sponge. I suggested a blue bonded filter pad because that's what I use in my HOBs (an Aqueon and a BioWheel) instead of a cartridge. But I do find that it falls down occasionally. Do the AC sponges stand up better? I heard they are thicker and denser. Edited by *Amanda*

Huh, that's interesting about the AC sponge. I suggested a blue bonded filter pad because that's what I use in my HOBs (an Aqueon and a BioWheel) instead of a cartridge. But I do find that it falls down occasionally. Do the AC sponges stand up better? I heard they are thicker and denser.
The a/c sponges stand up or lay down great. They didn't move/budge for me. In the aqueon 55/75 that I had, you can have the sponges go either way. They are real thick and yes dense. I think I had the size a/c 30. I absolutely loved them in that filter. :)

I have a glass hood on my tank with a gap on each side now and again when I walk past the tank I smell this organic odour and I put it down to a lot of water movement on the surface and this releases or moves the odour up if that makes sense. Anyways this used to also annoy me but then I also stopped overfeeding my fish and now down to one feed a day. The organic smell isn't so strong anymore.

I have a glass hood on my tank with a gap on each side now and again when I walk past the tank I smell this organic odour and I put it down to a lot of water movement on the surface and this releases or moves the odour up if that makes sense. Anyways this used to also annoy me but then I also stopped overfeeding my fish and now down to one feed a day. The organic smell isn't so strong anymore.

You might want to try feeding the same amount you are feeding now, but divide it into 3 feeding per day. Their bodies absorb more nutrients that way. I've seen great growth since doing this instead of one big feeding per day. :)

During the week I'm at work so I either feed them in the morning or when I get home but on weekends I break it down to 2 or 3. The odour is barely there anymore.

You can always give half of their food in a.m. and the rest when you come home. :) Edited by 4prettyfish