Sign in to follow this  
Whiskers

Choosing a Heater?

Hopefully someone can respond before I go out shopping. I have an urge to spend money. :teehee

I recently moved in my housing for the school year on campus and to no surprise, it is very poorly insulated and cold. I'd reckon it's probably like 37f outside and only 40f in here. Seriously. In the past I've had no issues keeping a warm room/house so I never thought twice about getting a heater for my tank. I also don't want to encourage breeding (although now I think I have two boys) so I've never considered a warmer tank.

With this cold spell in Wisconsin, my fish have suddenly gotten rather lethargic. They're moving slower in general and like to laze together. They seem perfectly healthy so I think the cold as gotten to them - stupidly my only thermometer got left behind for the Danio tank so I can't get a temp on it right now. Even if I don't come home with a heater, I will return with a thermometer.

Basically, do you guys have a minimum temperature on your tank? If I should get a heater, do you have a solid recommendation that won't break the bank? I have a 20g tall currently. I don't mind purchasing a new heater when I upgrade.

I use the Jager thermostat heater, and really like it. For a 20 gal you would need the 75W, which is $24.99 here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23726

I keep my temperature around 72F. I change it around a bit to replicate the seasons.

I love my Fluval M series heaters. They even put up well with being outdoors where things get a little more rough.