Assassin Snail quick question

Wizz

Hi all just a quick qestion about assassin's

brought 4 at the weekend put one in my betta tank and, 3 in my 55gal Rainbow cichlid tank.

the 1 in the betta tank no problems at all

but the 3 in the 55gal i haven't seen past day one, my sand is alive with MTS

but not seen the assassin's since they dug themselves in.

so my question is

are they just having a feild day in the sand or should i shift though to make sure they are still with me?

about 2 inch of sand also lots of decour in the tank bogwood and slate (for making caves)

link to a video of my current tank.

I'm no snail expert but sometimes I won't see my two little nerite snails for a few days and wonder where the heck they are in my planted betta tank. :( They either turn up by showing themselves Or eventually I seek them out. :) Hopefully someone with more knowledge will see your thread and post.

My nerite is the same. He's in a 20 gallon and seems to know how to hide. Like today I have not seen him in two days but I lifted the lid and he was on the underside of it :o:teehee

I hope you find your little guys! :)

well did weekly water change today raked the sand didn't see them anywhere hmmm.

not on underside of anything inculding hood but numbers of trumpets seem to be going down

so i asume they are doing their job just havent seen them yet.

guess they do have alot of room to move about in :)

do they hunt under substrate?

well did weekly water change today raked the sand didn't see them anywhere hmmm.

not on underside of anything inculding hood but numbers of trumpets seem to be going down

Yes, asassin snails do occupy the substrate as well. Could be they are somewhere under there :)

Yes, asassin snails do occupy the substrate as well. Could be they are somewhere under there :)

great stuff thanks all. also i didn't know where also called nerite snails :P

a day you learn something new is a day that wasn't wasted lol

knowning that snib bit well help with forum sherches in the future :)

also i think the MTS are on to something. i see them more on the decour of the tank in the latter part of the first week,

i rarely saw them unless feeding time or during night hour's,

but now they seem to want to stay away from the sand more.

or is that just me lol.

Nerite snails are different then your Asassin snails. I was only referring to what my Nerite snails do. :)

Aren't Asassin snails the same as Trumpet snails? They look alike!

By the way, I forgot to say something about your video. :(

I love how you have your tank set up. It looks beautiful. :)

I've seen assassin snails in the UK also known or sold under the name bumblebee snails

because their shell is yellow with black rings like a bumblebee :)

they are also very close in looks to trumpet snails

i did what to go the clown louch way of controlling snail numbers but my tank is already over stocked system running

i didn't want to add more due to going to far.

plus the louches would probally destroy all the trumpet snails

and i don't want them all gone just number brought to a safe bio load lvl again but still enough to sift the sand naturally.

basically i went a route that offered a more natural cycle within the tank

trumpets are enough in number that they should breed as fast as they are been eaten, but only time will till on this.

edit.

thanks glad you like it i manage to get some slate for free from a friend of a friend

(pet shop would of had my arm off if i paid what they asked lol)

Edited by Wizz

I've heard of the name Bumblebee snail before. I just can't remember inially how exactly. I wanted one but someone at my local fish store talked me out of it for some reason Or I changed my mind after he told me something. ??? I just can't remember that conversation.hahaha Do they breed? Or, Are they in the Nerite family? Maybe they were a salt water snail!

I've heard of the name Bumblebee snail before. I just can't remember inially how exactly. I wanted one but someone at my local fish store talked me out of it for some reason Or I changed my mind after he told me something. ??? I just can't remember that conversation.hahaha Do they breed? Or, Are they in the Nerite family? Maybe they were a salt water snail!

no they are for fresh water made sure of that looking them up first,

heard of them as snaill control in beta tanks they are aslo know for been quite

hardy.

also they aren't really snail what I've read up on them is they are in fact a mollusc.

I'm asumming that "Nerite snails" as a whole fall into this category as well?

please correct if I'm wrong the more info the better

thanks again.

I have no idea if your correct or not. :idont:undecided: Like I mentioned before, I don't know much about snails. There are some that do though and hopefully they will see your thread here and respond. Sorry, to be getting off your main topic of Asassin Snails.

no they are for fresh water made sure of that looking them up first,

heard of them as snaill control in beta tanks they are aslo know for been quite

hardy.

also they aren't really snail what I've read up on them is they are in fact a mollusc.

I'm asumming that "Nerite snails" as a whole fall into this category as well?

please correct if I'm wrong the more info the better

thanks again.

lol a mollusc is a snail daft git face palm moment there chaps and ladies.

what i was thinking is that they aren't really a snail as such, they have a sex and need a pair to well breed :)

they also only go after protien i've read up where people assassins are dying because they wasn't any snails left for them to eat.

the assassin snail will go for the waffers but only for the small amount of protien within,

but they never will eat algae willingly (for what I've found via as many sources as i could find before hand)

but thinking you know it all

diffrent matter when they in your tank isn't it lol :P

I do put a small amount of algae wafer in my tank but I rarely see my nerite snails near it. I did in the beginning and it looked kind of neat. I had a couple of them in it. (eating, I'm assuming) But now a days, I don't. I should go spy on them during the night. hahaha

Have you looked in Koko's section about snails? Maybe you'll find some information that you didn't know OR good reading information. :)

I do put a small amount of algae wafer in my tank but I rarely see my nerite snails near it. I did in the beginning and it looked kind of neat. I had a couple of them in it. (eating, I'm assuming) But now a days, I don't. I should go spy on them during the night. hahaha

Have you looked in Koko's section about snails? Maybe you'll find some information that you didn't know OR good reading information. :)

yeah i'll skoot over there have another good read up :)

one thing i do love about this hobby so much variety to try and grow on.

justs o you know did some sand shifting again (still handn't seen them) but, in the small area that i did found one assassin he dug himself straight back into the sand,

so i'm assuming they are all ok :).