Weight and how much to feed question

Fish Of Gold

Now that I finally have a scale, I weighed both of my goldfish. The scale is accurate to 0.1 grams. Now I need to know how much to feed each one according to their weights. I feed Omega One small Pellets. I am not good at math at all so I need help on how much to weigh out each of their daily food amounts.

Dreamsicle my Fantail is 1 1/4 inches long and weighs 2.6 grams

Creamsicle my Butterfly Ryukin is 1 3/8 inches long and weighs 4.4 grams

They are both in separate tanks still so they get fed separately right now. But once they are together in one tank how do I feed them each their correct amounts?

Now that I finally have a scale, I weighed both of my goldfish. The scale is accurate to 0.1 grams. Now I need to know how much to feed each one according to their weights. I feed Omega One small Pellets. I am not good at math at all so I need help on how much to weigh out each of their daily food amounts.

They are both in separate tanks still so they get fed separately right now. But once they are together in one tank how do I feed them each their correct amounts?

You feed them 1% of their body weight per day. So 2.6 x .01 = .026 g for Dreamsicle and 4.4 x .01 = .044 g for Creamsicle :)

You could just add .07 g of food (divided into 2 or 3 meals) to the tank and let nature take it's course. But truthfully, I have never weighed out my food and my fish do pretty well :Scoff:

Edited by jmetzger72

For my seven chunkers I take all of their weight and multiply it by .01 to get the weight of pellets I should feed in a day.

It should be noted that if you feed gel food of any kind then you would feed 2% of their body weight as most of the weight is water in gel foods :)

You feed them 1% of their body weight per day. So 2.6 x .01 = .026 g for Dreamsicle and 4.4 x .01 = .044 g for Creamsicle :)

You could just add .07 g of food (divided into 2 or 3 meals) to the tank and let nature take it's course. But truthfully, I have never weighed out my food and my fish do pretty well :Scoff:

Thank you very much! :D

For my seven chunkers I take all of their weight and multiply it by .01 to get the weight of pellets I should feed in a day.

It should be noted that if you feed gel food of any kind then you would feed 2% of their body weight as most of the weight is water in gel foods :)

What about foods like Frozen Blood Worms or Frozen Brine Shrimp?

Thank you very much! :D

What about foods like Frozen Blood Worms or Frozen Brine Shrimp?

You know what's funny is that I ran into that question today! I tried weighing out 2 grams (which is half of the weight of food I'm supposed to feed in a day) and it was a crazy small amount compared to what I'm used to feeding. It would be interesting to see how people go about determining how much frozen foods to feed.

Generally I thaw my frozen foods and then weigh them. As all of us know, water weighs quite a bit in comparison to other things. :teehee

• Look at the cube before it is thawed to check relative size.
  • thaw it, then weigh the contents.
  • add it to your daily amount.

Remember, too, that depending on what you want for your fish, you can feed them more or less. In the summer, I fed the fish up to 3% of their body weight to keep them in breeding condition and to help them put on weight.

Do you mean 26g and 44g? :hmm

Do you mean 26g and 44g? :hmm

I believe the decimal point was in the middle (2.6 & 4.4) Does that sound right or is that too small? I hope I weighed them correctly :hummm

I would weigh again just to make sure, and if you don't have a tare function on your scale, make sure to write out the math you do instead of punching it into a calculator. It always seems to work better that way. (You don't have to show us. :teehee )

That small just doesn't sound like it's exactly right. Even my little 3/4" ranchu was 8 grams.

This would probably make a good poll: Who weighs your fish food and who doesn't? I was going to over a year ago but never did even though I have a scale. (I'm like Jared, never did weigh and my fish do pretty good.)

I think a scale would be pretty good to weigh ones fish in the beginning if someone is kind of questioning themselves or just wants to know. But I think after awhile you'll just know. I have two somewhat good size/big fish and one that is growing fast. I feed them a whole cube of frozen blood worms for a meal alone. I mostly feed my fish 3 times a day. (if I'm short on time it will just be am and pm)

I would weigh again just to make sure, and if you don't have a tare function on your scale, make sure to write out the math you do instead of punching it into a calculator. It always seems to work better that way. (You don't have to show us. :teehee )

That small just doesn't sound like it's exactly right. Even my little 3/4" ranchu was 8 grams.

Agreed, it does seem a little too tiny :)

Unless you are feeding medicated food and want to make sure they are getting enough medication, I don't think it is necessary to weigh your fish and feed by weight. Just consider people. You could find people of the same size, fed exactly the same kind and amount of food, who ranged from skinny to obese.

I think relaxing a bit can help you enjoy your fish a lot more. Toss in pellets, one at a time until your fish have stopped swimming around and are chewing. They each have a mouthful. Your fish are still small, so do this three times a day. They will grow just fine.

You all have good advice :) I think I will weigh them again just for the record and see how it comes out.....

Ok I weighed Creamsicle just now. I put the container with water in it on the scale and pressed the tare button, then after it zeroed out I put Creamsicle in. (She is good and just sits still in the container and doesn't move barely at all) It measured her at 6.3 grams today...She was 4.4 before. Could it be that I just fed her about 10 minutes beforehand and she ate a bunch so it is more weight or could she really be getting bigger that fast?

I couldn't catch Dreamsicle, he is too fast and I didn't try too long because I don't want to stress him out too much. But I can catch Creamsicle easily by just slowly following her with my hand and just lift her out, she is a VERY calm fish with my hands in her tank. She only goes nuts swimming at feeding time! LOL!

2 grams is a LOT of food. (Like, my 75 gram fish eats half of that in an entire day.) I don't think it was the food that caused it. I also don't think she grew 2 grams in a day. I think it is either a scale or operator mistake...

How are you weighing them, exactly?

2 grams is a LOT of food. (Like, my 75 gram fish eats half of that in an entire day.) I don't think it was the food that caused it. I also don't think she grew 2 grams in a day. I think it is either a scale or operator mistake...

How are you weighing them, exactly?

I use a small plastic food storage container that holds about 2 cups I believe, and put in an about 2 1/2 inches or so of tank water. Then I catch her in my hand and keep my hand submerged so she can still breathe but is confined in my hand like a cage. Then I turn on the scale and it is automatically set to "g" so it is grams, then I place the water filled container on the scale then I press the tare button and wait till it says zero then I put the fish in the container of water and wait till the numbers stop changing after a second or two it is steady on one number and that is the number I read. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't have any of those calibrating weights to check my scale with so I used what I have on hand to see if it is close to what the package says it should weigh.

I weighed two identical packets of taco seasoning that says 35g on the envelope. the first packet weighed in at 40.7g for one and the other weighed in at 39.6g

I weighed a stick of butter that says 113g on the wrapper and it weighed in at 114.2g

It seems to be weighing more than what the wrappers say, and I assume it is because it is weighing the paper it is packaged in with the weight of the actual product. So I guess the scale is measuring pretty correctly with the weight of my fish? :hummm (Seeing they don't have paper or cardboard wrappers on them) LOL! :teehee

2 grams of food is what my 7 fish get in half a day.. seems like a lot for 2 smallish fishies :idont

It seems like you're weighing them right though.

2 grams of food is what my 7 fish get in half a day.. seems like a lot for 2 smallish fishies :idont

It seems like you're weighing them right though.

I don't actually feed them 2g of food, I was just wondering why she was more weight after 5 days later. I don't think I feed them enough actually, I'll know when I start to weigh out their foods how close I was to getting the right amounts fed.

Good to know that you think I am weighing them correctly! :D

Yeah I thought i was feeding too little after not weighing them for months. I fed them more and finally got the time to weigh them again and weighed out their food to see how I was doing. Turns out I was pretty much feeding them the right amount in the beginning :doh11:

Edited by Mernany