Is this Swim bladder?

Kat428

It might be more like 8.0, its one of those color matching tests.

Which kit did you get...the master kit or just the pH kit? Drops or strips?

There is a huge difference between 6.0 and 8.0. We need to know this. Can you post a picture of the test, so we can help you read it?

If you got the master drop kit, test all of the water parameters, particularly the Nitrate.

This could be a swim bladder issue since the person at the pet store said your Nitrate was high. High Nitrate can cause swim bladder issues. But, I am more concerned about the pH if it is indeed 6.0.

Not to give you too much info at one time…but here is the link to filter info I was referring to…read at your leisure...

:read

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/aquatic-equipment/simple-media-setup-for-hob-filters-r248

There is a huge difference between 6.0 and 8.0. We need to know this. Can you post a picture of the test, so we can help you read it?

API 5in1 Aquarium test strips.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6v31k4s6hwoq65/20140906_183511.jpg?dl=0

This test was pretty clear but I still cant tell

It's critically important that we receive accurate information for the pH of the tank water, and water out of your faucet. If possible, let's try to get an adult involved.

Sometimes I need help reading the test tubes, and I've been at this for years!

Hello...

This is a general reminder to everyone. Unless you are:

1. Admin

2. Moderators and helpers

3. Senior and experienced members (you will have had conversations with the mod team about helping)

Please do not offer diagnosis and treatment suggestions. It's really important that this is followed, because we want to make sure that we are approaching this in a way that is consistent with the philosophies of this forum, AND that it is being handled properly.

Thanks for your attention.

Unfortunately, the API Master kit that we were referring to is a drop kit. The strips are not very accurate and are very expensive. I would try to take it back and tell the store you bought the wrong thing. See if they will give you an exchange. My Petco is pretty good about that...and they should as I keep that store in business :rofl

What you can do immediately to improve the conditions for your fish is start to perform weekly water changes of 50% or more. The 25% recommendation you got from the lady at the store is more for tropical fish. Goldfish need and thrive from frequent, large water changes. However, before doing this, you need to find a way to both accurately test, raise and stabilize your tank's pH. Too much of a jump in pH can harm your fish. A lot of people use simple baking soda(which is cheap) to buffer their pH. Please do not buy the pH up products at the pet store.

Unfortunately, the API Master kit that we were referring to is a drop kit. The strips are not very accurate and are very expensive. I would try to take it back and tell the store you bought the wrong thing. See if they will give you an exchange. My Petco is pretty good about that...and they should as I keep that store in business :rofl

What you can do immediately to improve the conditions for your fish is start to perform weekly water changes of 50% or more. The 25% recommendation you got from the lady at the store is more for tropical fish. Goldfish need and thrive from frequent, large water changes. However, before doing this, you need to find a way to both accurately test, raise and stabilize your tank's pH. Too much of a jump in pH can harm your fish. A lot of people use simple baking soda(which is cheap) to buffer their pH. Please do not buy the pH up products at the pet store.

Sadly, they wouldn't take it back because I had already used some of the strips. But I wanted to point out that this morning when I woke up, Rory was swimming upright at the top of the tank. He wont come down from the top, and when he does he seems to still be swimming unstably. So I suppose this is an improvement, but now I cant get him to eat his peas. I ran another test this morning using the strips. I know they're not completely accurate, but they are all I have.

These are the rough numbers.

NO3 - 160

NO2 - 0.5

pH - 6.5

KH - 80

GH - 180

That‘s some high nitrates! And the nitrites aren‘t too good. The ph either. If i recall correctly the api 5in1 doesn‘t have test for ammonia right? Do you have baking soda available?

Hopefully a moderator will be here soon to help you.

The test strips are very inaccurate especially for pH. Go ahead and test your tap water and post those results. I've found that the test strips grossly underestimate what the actual pH is . . . I guess we can see how your tap and tank pH compare using the strips . . .

The test strips are very inaccurate especially for pH. Go ahead and test your tap water and post those results. I've found that the test strips grossly underestimate what the actual pH is . . . I guess we can see how your tap and tank pH compare using the strips . . .

Ive posted before what my Tap was.

OK, but keep in mind, most of us on the mod team are helping several people and don't have time to dig through all the threads to find what has and has not been posted. And I want the tap tested with the strips you just got so we are comparing numbers from the same test.

Thanks.

• Admin

I didnt see it myself.

I think it was because you weren't sure if tap was at 6 or 8pH due to the colour similarities. :)

Since your tank pH is 6.5 it is just finding out whether the pH is dropping or rising from the tap. Once you can steady the pH the fish will benefit.

Repeating the tap and tank pH test before your next water change would be info greatly appreciated. :) post pics if you are having issues sorting out the colours. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.