Fish and media ok with filters off for the night? Leaking?!

• Supporter

Its currently midnight and for the past 6 hours or so the water level in my tank has being slowly dropping. Ive checked all over the tank itself and all the filters but all I find is soaked carpet and a huge puddle in one of the cupboards. I unplugged the filter that resides in that cupboard but the water levelnis still dropping and more water is appearing in the cupboard and floor. I was thinking of turning all the filters off and seeing if it still kept lowering so at least id know for sure if its one of them but im also afraid ill fall asleep before knowing...the water level has dropped about 2 or 3 inches since I did the waterchange 8 hours ago which sounds slow but also scary considering the size of the tank. :(:(

I would move the fish/plants/etc. to a temporary bin and drain the tank for the night. Place the media in a separate bin with tank water. If you don't know where the leak is, it isn't good to just leave a ton of water in everything.

• Supporter

Ive turned off the filters and ill try and stay awake a while to keep an eye on the water level. If it drops more ill have to wake someone up to help me

Im do tired though im normally sleeping by 10; 30

Edited by FishyMandy

• Supporter

Im 99% Sure its one of the filters. They are all off primes broken. Hopefully the water level doesn't drop more and in the the morning ill turn them on one by one and see which is the problem. I hope they will be ok without the filters running

• Supporter

Ok I just woke up, the water level hasn't dropped anymore so I'll start experimenting to see which one is the culprit, I have a feeling it's my biggest one..which is going to leave me very underfiltered until I can afford a new one

• Supporter

Taken it apart and still no idea where leak is :( But it hasn't gone down so far since turning the other two filters on and most of the water was in the cupboard where this filter was :( I think my carpet is dead, I've had towels down for over 12 hours and still trying to soak up all the water, but I'm worried about what's seeped under the stand

• Supporter

Ok it was a filter but not the one I thought. I noticed in the past couple hours the water had dropped another few mm (I had tap on the tank where the level was at) and finally figured out the leak was coming form the filter at the opposite end of the tank than i thought it was. The leak is stopped now, but there is a huge mess :( It doesn't look like a lot, a few inches out the tank, but with a 6x2 tank, it works out to be quite a lot

I am so sorry. I would be devastated if my tank spilled onto my carpet. That is just awful. [emoji17]

At least you found out which filter it was ... hopefully it's the smaller one that was causing the problem, so you don't lose too much filtration in the meantime.

If the leak can't be fixed, what I would do in your situation is check with the manufacturer to see if they can repair or replace the filter. Explain to them what happened and where you think the leak came from. If they agree, take them up on it. If they want to repair it, that may take a long time, so if you don't want to lose filtration I would either borrow/buy an HOB or other filter to use (unless you have one lying around) or take as much of the media from the broken filter as possible and put it in the working canister.

I'm so sorry this happened. :hug

Edited by *Amanda*

• Supporter

One of the tubs had moved slightly so the seal wasn't holding on the intake thing to the tube, water was just slowly dripping it's way out.

I think there is at least 60-70 litres of water in my carpet :( I really think it's going to have to come up, I've soaked every single towel in my house trying to clean it up and it's still squishy

I'm completely befuddled by this post. You knew there was a leak but just let it continue leaking while you went to bed and did some other things? Next time turn off and unhook everything. Now throw your towels in the dryer on high and get out your fans. Good luck.

Edited by DieselPlower

• Supporter

I did turn it off and unhook things...I said in the post before I went to sleep that I had unplugged all the filters and took the intakes out the tank, and that I had to try and sleep because it was 1am. It was only in the morning when I got up and started the filters up again to work out which one was the problem it started leaking again, and it was turned off while I was doing the other things I had to do

So once I was sure it was one of the filters I had them all off, intakes out the water before I went to sleep, and had even stayed up another hour to check that the water level wasn't still dropping, even once I went to bed I barely slept since I was constantly going to check on the tank.

I made this thread to make sure the fish would be ok when I did turn the filters off for the night since I was sure it was one of them but hadn't being able to figure out which one

Edited by FishyMandy